Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How much would you pay for a 3800 SC series 2?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How much would you pay for a 3800 SC series 2? by Corpsmen Ed
Started on: 03-25-2014 11:30 PM
Replies: 11 (326 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 03-26-2014 11:12 PM
Corpsmen Ed

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Corpsmen EdClick Here to visit Corpsmen Ed's HomePageSend a Private Message to Corpsmen EdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a line on a 3800 SC series 2 out of a '97 Grand Prix GTP. The car was wrecked in the ass end. The guy is offering the motor, Auto trans, complete wiring harness, pcm, axles, hubs, steering gear and all driven accessories for $650.

Here's the kicker.....180K miles.

He has video of the car running before the dropout, and it sounds and looks good. He supposedly had just replaced all the gaskets (except head gaskets) before the accident.

Is this a decent deal?

The miles are pretty high. Should I keep looking?

Would you buy it? And if so, what would you offer? $500?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For my first swap I paid 500 for my donor car. It had 130K on it. I gave the carcass to a friend and he got 350 from the scrapper.

I don't think 500 is to bad for everything, but, you should try to talk him down more.

I just (over) paid 1,200 for just a low mileage engine, harness an ECM.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
13.104 @ 101.45 MPH 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 03-26-2014).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here in the midwest thats a 500dollar setup... the 600 to 700 cost would include nearly trouble free delivery, clean motor, and really new alum gaskets and a known good trans.

The miles sounds good.. most any 3800 I have is over 150k miles and they all work great.
Corpsmen Ed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Corpsmen EdClick Here to visit Corpsmen Ed's HomePageSend a Private Message to Corpsmen EdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I offered him $500, but he hasn't gotten back with me yet.

The person I plan to have due the swap for me said not to pay more than $400 for a seies 2 with that many miles. But I feel pretty comfortable risking $500 based on talking to the guy and seeing the video.

Not sure he is going to go that low.
Merlinhaggard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got mine with 60k miles for 400...
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked out Car-part.com? you can find pretty killer deals on there.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of you did better than me. I paid $800 for the engine, trans, wiring, computer, etc. I had to remove it all myself. The good part about my transaction though, was that I got to drive the car before pulling the engine and I got to do the work at my house. I am satisfied with my deal.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got my 97 3800sc from a salvage yard nearby (i"m in nova scotia, canada btw) and it only included the engine and a hacked up harness. It supposedly had around 180k on it, but couldn't say for sure. It was the cheapest around here. They are going for more like 800 to 900$ here from a salvage yard normally.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can usually find a few series II 3800SC engines out of 99 to 2003 cars with any where from 120,000 to 200,000 km on them for $500 to $600 and the matching tranny $300 to $400. But I also have quite a few wreckers always looking for more engines for me and then I get first shot at them when they come in. Dan
Corpsmen Ed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Corpsmen EdClick Here to visit Corpsmen Ed's HomePageSend a Private Message to Corpsmen EdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That guy never replied to my offer of $500. It's been two days now, and before he was emailing me back and forth. Guess maybe I offended him. Sorry Bro. Guess I'll keep looking.

And yes, I have checked Car-part.com. Not much in my area, except high mileage motors for more than $500, not including trans. eBay has been a bust lately too, unless you can afford a crate engine, which I can't.

If anybody hears of a decent motor or motor/trans combo that runs ands doesn't have a million miles on them, and is fairly close to the midwest part of the U.S., PLEASE let me know.

[This message has been edited by Corpsmen Ed (edited 03-26-2014).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I could get motors for that price. Here it's $1500-2500 depending on the mileage. Extra if you want the computer, wiring and tranny.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Corpsmen Ed:

That guy never replied to my offer of $500. It's been two days now, and before he was emailing me back and forth. Guess maybe I offended him. Sorry Bro. Guess I'll keep looking.

And yes, I have checked Car-part.com. Not much in my area, except high mileage motors for more than $500, not including trans. eBay has been a bust lately too, unless you can afford a crate engine, which I can't.

If anybody hears of a decent motor or motor/trans combo that runs ands doesn't have a million miles on them, and is fairly close to the midwest part of the U.S., PLEASE let me know.

search broader than your area, I bought my 3500 (38K miles) for about $375 shipped to my front door.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock