Odd cam gear question by Zeak
Started on: 02-11-2014 03:46 PM
Replies: 4 (155 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 02-11-2014 09:57 PM
Zeak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeakSend a Private Message to ZeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have my 88 with the 2.5.
From all my digging and searching on here (and the cave), I've found the stock cam gear will wear out anywhere from 100k to 150k.
My car currently has 175k on it. Is it possible I've just gotten lucky and it's about to go out or do you all think one of the previous owners might have already done it? I was getting ready to install the stock fiber replacement along with opening up the oil galley plug.
Thoughts?

------------------

1988 Fiero 2.5

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ease your mind by taking the cover off.
Zeak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeakSend a Private Message to ZeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to in the next day or so.
I figured it could not heart to ask.

------------------

1988 Fiero 2.5

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an 84 SE that went at around 110,000 miles.

I replaced it with an aftermarket fibre gear and that lasted 3,000 miles.

The next set was all metal, still going strong and the extra noise with the metal gears isn't really noticable.

If you're going to open it up to check it, as long as you're in there replace it with an all metal set, I did, don't think I'll ever have to worry about it again.

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.
How to remove rear bearing hubs, with pics.
How to modify the stock Fiero radio for MP3 players, with pics.
How to come up with the right coolant hoses for that engine swap...With Pics.
Basic Fiero electrical testing "How To" and equipment...with pics.

[This message has been edited by fierohoho (edited 02-11-2014).]

cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The gears even though they were fiber, get noisey.
You have no way to know the shape of the gear. Unless you have a history of it. It may not be worn, but the gear could be starting to get cracks in the epoxy.
The last time I did one was at least 20 some years ago. Different years and vin codes had different ways of installing. Doing it improperly can result in damaging the cam, lifters, crank gear. Have had people knock the block plug out of the back of the block. Dropping the plug between the engine and flywheel from trying to tap/hammer the gear on . The last one I had did was supposed to have the cam removed from the engine so the new gear could be pressed on. Tapped (thread tap)first. Then I was able to carefully drill around the gear just on the outside of the cam and then drilled a line of holes to the outside of the gear to snap it off by hand. I'm sure there are pullers made for it now. Used towels to keep any debris from entering oil pan.
(This was early on when they were having a lot of noise issues with the gears. And a lot of special tools for them weren't available yet. Many required dropping the engine out.)
Used the tap to make threads in the cam( it was already drilled, The older ones were tapped/threaded) to use a good quality power steering pulley installer to install the gear.
Please search for information on doing your gear. Don't use my last experience as a guide.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122605.html

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 02-11-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock