Started on: 02-03-2014 10:43 PM
Replies: 11 (327 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 02-06-2014 08:41 AM
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've posted this as a separate thread from my build thread ( //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129733.html ), just because I expect there'll be a lot of varied opinions (hopefully).

I'm halfway through a 4.9L build in my '88. I'm using the stock Isuzu transmission (for now...). I have a LSC Performance custom flywheel. Now the question is...which clutch to use? I've seen people saying Centerforce or Spec, but I've heard good and bad about them. From a power/torque point of view, I know I need a Stage III clutch, but I want some advice on which brand will work.

I'm not an aggressive driver, an won't be dropping the clutch if I can avoid it. That's not to say I won't be pushing it occasionally, but not planning on leaving tire marks everywhere I go.

I've found a decent price clutch on eBay, but want to know what the pros/cons are, in peoples opinion. I've heard people say stay away from 6 puck clutches, and others who say they work great. Anyone with experience with them?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/XTD-...em2c7be3687c&vxp=mtr

Also, just want to clarify...I know I need a clutch for a 5 speed, but I never see Getrag or Isuzu listed. Are they the same throw-out bearing? I'm quite sure the 88 is the same as earlier years, but they often list 85-87 separately. What about the 84? Can someone clear this part up and let me know what's compatible.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the heavy duty Ram clutch.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The throw-out bearing is different between the Isuzu and Getrag. I am using the clutch you linked to in the 3400 swap with an Isuzu. I can confirm that the throw-out bearing that comes with it is cheap Chinese junk (I replaced it with a NOS bearing)...but the clutch and pressure plate will physically fit the Isuzu bell housing. I can't confirm how well it holds since I haven't fired up the swap yet.

You will not find a listing for an 84 5 speed....only 4 speeds were available in 84. The ad is wrong...that clutch will fit an 86-88 Fiero with a Getrag. It is a Getrag bearing shown in the pic and it specifically says 2.8/5 speed. 2.8 with a 5 speed was only available from late 86 through 88.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried the Centerforce II in my 4.9 swap. I originally bought the clutch for my 2.8 build. The Centerforce II can't hold the carb'd 4.9. It lets loose at about 3500 rpm.

I have had success with the Spec II+. It rates at 417 ftlbs. and so far it is holding fine. It has a kevlar/ceramic disc.

One thing to watch though, is the throwout bearing. They sent the wrong one for my Muncie and I had a bit of a time getting the right one.

But, the clutch is fine. It is very streetable and holds well.

Arn
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I like the heavy duty Ram clutch.

Does that fit the Fiero pressure plate bolt pattern?

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

The throw-out bearing is different between the Isuzu and Getrag. I am using the clutch you linked to in the 3400 swap with an Isuzu. I can confirm that the throw-out bearing that comes with it is cheap Chinese junk (I replaced it with a NOS bearing)...but the clutch and pressure plate will physically fit the Isuzu bell housing. I can't confirm how well it holds since I haven't fired up the swap yet.

You will not find a listing for an 84 5 speed....only 4 speeds were available in 84. The ad is wrong...that clutch will fit an 86-88 Fiero with a Getrag. It is a Getrag bearing shown in the pic and it specifically says 2.8/5 speed. 2.8 with a 5 speed was only available from late 86 through 88.

You're right, down below it does say 2.8L (missed that)...I read the top part where it said for any engine 85-87. My confusion was also why they only listed up to '87...but if the ad is wrong, that makes more sense to me.

So, if I understand you correctly, I can look for any Fiero clutch 86-88, for Getrag or Isuzu, as long as I get a throw out bearing for the Isuzu...
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Does that fit the Fiero pressure plate bolt pattern?

Check the link I posted in your other thread. I have it bolted to an LSC flywheel.
It's designed to be a heavy duty stock replacement. You should just need an Isuzu throwout bearing.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Check the link I posted in your other thread. I have it bolted to an LSC flywheel.
It's designed to be a heavy duty stock replacement. You should just need an Isuzu throwout bearing.

Didn't realize Ram was the brand...thought it was...never mind...

I'm having a hard time tracking down the specs, but it looks like it is rated for just under 200hp, not sure of it's torque limit. Do you find it holds well with the 4.9?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm having a hard time tracking down the specs, but it looks like it is rated for just under 200hp, not sure of it's torque limit. Do you find it holds well with the 4.9?

It came from the Fiero Store, but I see no reason you can't go to Summit and buy the same thing. The kit comes with the Getrag throwout bearing. You'll still have to source the correct bearing for your tranny.

The only time I ever smelled clutch lining was when I was holding it on a steep hill, waiting to pull out into traffic. Totally my fault.
I have never made it slip, that I can tell.
(Note that I don't do clutch drops, but I have been known to plant the right pedal immediately after the clutch is fully engaged. I try not to shock load the tranny.)

YMMV. I'm not saying that it would be your best choice. Just what I'm happy with.
I do have a particular dislike for anything SPEC, however. I also had a Centerforce in a Firebird that was not balanced correctly. Vibrated like hell, from day one.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-05-2014).]

Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a Centerforce Dual Friction that held up great behind my carbed 4.9 with nitrous.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The OE specs on the 1993 4.9 is 200 hp and 275 ftlbs at 1700 rpm. That means you are over 200 ftlbs at launch.

My Centerforce II was rated at 290 ftlbs and it could not hold the carb'd 4.9.

I don't think the Ram is your safest choice.

Arn
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would recommend a Spec Stage three Plus.... a step above the regular stage three

Anything beyond that too harsh for the street

...But then again the stage three plus is about $400
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've also has zero issues with the 9 5/8" RAM HD clutch from the Fiero Store on my 4.9 ...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock