I have wanted to post this for some time now but for whatever the reason I just never got around to it. Quiet sometime ago I upgraded the headlight motors on my ’86 GT to Style II headlight motors but have never been able to get them to function properly. I have gone thru several headlight control modules, none of which have been 100% functional. Needless to say I was growing tired with having the headlight motors not functioning properly. So, until such time I locate a used headlight motor control module I decided to come up with a semi-permanent solution. In my quest to design something I decided to go old school. i.e. the same type of control circuit that is used in the 1965 Corvette. Oh, by the way, my ’86 GT shares the stable with my other ride, a ’65 Corvette Stingray.
To make the project happen I acquired the following items:
2 – 87-88 Headlight Motor Connector (Male 2-wire leads) – The Fiero Store
1 – Mom-On-Off- Mom-On 30A DPDT Toggle Switch – Radio Shack
1 – 20A Circuit breaker - AutoZone
The power is pulled from the Batt (Battery) Always hot power block that I have installed in the car. This was easy since I have relocated the battery to the front of the vehicle. Power is then fed to the headlight motor circuit via a 20A Circuit breaker.
I installed the control switch, a DPDT 30A Mom-On – Off – Mom-On switch in the position that was originally intended for the “Rear Window Defrost”. My ’86 GT is not equipped with “Read Window Defrost” making the switch installation a breeze.
I ran the feed wires for both headlight control motors and installed newly purchased “The Fiero Store” 87-88 Headlight Motor connectors. In the photo you will see that I left the OEM connector (Gray) intact. This is for future use in the event I locate a functional Headlight Motor Control Module.
The schematic for the project:
This was my solution to not having functional headlight motors. It maynot be feasible for your particular application but worked for me.