smoke at start up? by georgie
Started on: 01-12-2014 04:10 PM
Replies: 11 (1203 views)
Last post by: georgie on 01-13-2014 10:27 PM
georgie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for georgieSend a Private Message to georgieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Iv been getting some white smoke when I start my gt 2.8 after it's warmed up an I park for a bit. I'm not sure if it smell's like gas or oil. Does any one have a clue what's up? The car run's great has good power in all rpm's an does not run hot. I did change my oil to mobil super an used the ph52 filter so I could put 5gt's of oil in it. Could it be burning some of the oil off because of having a full 5gt's?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of 2.8 engines blow some white smoke at start up. it's the valve guide seals. My car has gotten better over the last few years and I can only guess why. The seals may shrink if the engine sits a long time....or it may be the kind of oil you use? Don't know.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is as common as the sun rising and setting. I'd be more surprised if you started a thread saying every time you started your Fiero it started up absolutely perfect.

It's typically caused by worn valve seals or valve stem guides. When the car is shut off and oil travels back down to the bottom of the crankcase, some gets past the valve seals. Then you go to start it up the next time, and out it comes from the exhaust. It's happens on Fieros that have anything from 85,000 miles to ones that have 285,000 miles like mine does. If it's plain white smoke and it just happens for a quick bit on start up it's honestly not much to worry about, even in the long run. The proper thing to have done is a complete valve job on the heads.

Still as a precautionary setup, you may want to make sure it is not something worse, like a blown head gasket, which can also show similar symptoms.

EDIT: and beaten to it.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 01-12-2014).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blue smoke, oil. White smoke, water. Black smoke, fuel.
georgie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for georgieSend a Private Message to georgieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, I have 130.000 on it. The motor run's strong an it is blue smoke. So I feel it most likely the seal's an the 5/30wt syn oil I used in it. Thanks. I Will also check for oil consumption. But it is a fiero so one never know's?
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Open your windows and sunroof if you have one, and engine brake. When my car had bad valve guides it would puff at start up and every time I decelerated with engine braking (pulling crazy vacuum) I could smell oil burning as it was being pulled through the guides into the cylinders. I never burned oil though (in noticeable quantities) but it still frustrated me so I built a new engine haha
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by georgie:

Iv been getting some white smoke when I start my gt 2.8...

Originally posted by georgie:

The motor run's strong an it is blue smoke.

Makes it rather difficult to properly diagnose an issue when the reported facts change.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always had trouble with that 'blue' description. It's a little less white than burning coolant....but not much.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah the Iron Duke is known for a smoke blow at startup too, its oil from the valve seals, but it looks white.

If you arent having to add any fluids its likley not serious.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My V6 almost always make a quick puff of blueish smoke on startup from brand new, especially after overnite. It didnt burn enough to need any oil added between changes. Ran like that for 100K. Never got better or worse.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Yeah the Iron Duke is known for a smoke blow at startup too, its oil from the valve seals, but it looks white.

If you arent having to add any fluids its likley not serious.

If it looks white, then it's condensation from the exhaust system that's being vaporized.

Originally posted by Gall757:

I've always had trouble with that 'blue' description. It's a little less white than burning coolant....but not much.

Honest to gawd, there's no comparison between burning oil and steam. Just takes a trained eye.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-13-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
georgie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for georgieSend a Private Message to georgieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok! Sorry for the white to blue change but It's realy a mix of both depending on the sun light an when you see it (if you know what I mean). I think that since I changed to syn/dino blend oil it's found it's way in the seal's. Thank's to all for the info an help.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock