Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Starter only cranks a little before puttering out...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Starter only cranks a little before puttering out... by Twilight Fenrir
Started on: 12-22-2013 07:23 PM
Replies: 10 (282 views)
Last post by: kyote on 01-08-2014 02:16 PM
Twilight Fenrir

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

I've got an '86 2.5L 5spd. For the past couple months, when I go to start my car, it starts off normally when I turn the key, but after a few turns over, the starter becomes super sluggish. The engine typically fires, and all is well and good... so I've been ignoring it ^^; But, now I'm getting into cold weather, and starting is more difficult, so I've had a few times where it wouldn't start.

The thing is... I can't figure out if the problem is my battery, (Which is a brand new Interstate, hence my skepticism) or my starter. At one point, when it was -30F out, and my car didn't start, a co-worker helped jump-start me. The starter began to crank again with the extra power, but still super slow. Like... Waahh...... wahhh..... waaaahhhh........ and it took 5 minutes or so before the engine fired off. And all was fine there after.

I've never had a dying starter before... so I don't know if this is what it is like... I'm suspecting this is the issue, but before I go blow money on parts, I'd like a second opinion...

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fadingaway

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a 5.0 mustang that was doing the same thing, I had already replaced the starter so I knew it was fine, it was the battery and it eventually got so bad it wouldn't even take a charge, I had a 1 year old interstate battery with 675 cold cranking amps, as soon as the weather got cold the battery went to hell I actually took out my heat gun and warmed up the battery and it would do a little better but I ended up replacing it in the end. My recommendation, borrow somebody else battery and see if the problem persist, or go replace yours under warranty before you mess with the starter. Also with the 2.5 check to see if your water pump pully has wore a hole in the side of the battery or not I went through 4 batteries because of this
Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fadingaway:

I had a 5.0 mustang that was doing the same thing, I had already replaced the starter so I knew it was fine, it was the battery and it eventually got so bad it wouldn't even take a charge, I had a 1 year old interstate battery with 675 cold cranking amps, as soon as the weather got cold the battery went to hell I actually took out my heat gun and warmed up the battery and it would do a little better but I ended up replacing it in the end. My recommendation, borrow somebody else battery and see if the problem persist, or go replace yours under warranty before you mess with the starter. Also with the 2.5 check to see if your water pump pully has wore a hole in the side of the battery or not I went through 4 batteries because of this

Well... the battery seems to be holding a charge. I throw my charger on it when I get home, and it says it is full. To eliminate the possibility of a parasitic drain, I experimented with disconnecting my battery over night, and when I re-hooked it up in the morning, it had the same thing. Still could easily be the battery though, I know. I just really hope it isn't, because I can't find my receipt for it X_X Even though it was like, 3 months ago I bought the blessed thing. I don't want to have to buy ANOTHER battery...

That's why I have a new battery. XD My last one got eaten by the pully. Brand new Interstate, too... I put a great big one in, the biggest that would fit... After that I 'installed' a wooden stake between the hood hinge, and the rear strut well that keeps the batter from kissing it. I'll make a more permanent solution one of these days... but it works now, so I can't be troubled to do so XD

[This message has been edited by Twilight Fenrir (edited 12-22-2013).]

Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welp, another known good battery dropped in there and it behaves exactly the same... It's actually a bit worse, but it's a lower amp battery...

Now, I hear tell a popular upgrade for starters is to get a gear reduction model off of a 98 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3800, and that it should bolt right up. Correct?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GM gear reduction starter was on many cars over lots of years, and will bolt up to a Fiero engine.
stickboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickboySend a Private Message to stickboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the same issue I had with my Jeep. The starter made it sound like the battery was dead, but it read 12+ volts and my charger was saying it was charged. I had my battery tested at autozone and their tool said it was good, but not charged. A new battery fixed the issue. I guess it just wasn't taking a charge anymore.
Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickboy:

Sounds like the same issue I had with my Jeep. The starter made it sound like the battery was dead, but it read 12+ volts and my charger was saying it was charged. I had my battery tested at autozone and their tool said it was good, but not charged. A new battery fixed the issue. I guess it just wasn't taking a charge anymore.

Seems to be... A theory I heard posed, is that the bearing in the starter is shot, and it's binding up... Thus, more powerful battery yields more torque, and gives another turn or two of the engine...

I ordered a new gear reduction starter, a 1.7kw unit from Amazon for $100...will be getting it the 31st,and will put it in one of my coming vacation days... I seem to be able to finagle it into starting reliably by giving it a little gas in the first 2-3 cranks.

I also read the page in the Ogre's Cave about starter spacing... My new starter has 11 teeth, instead of the 9... So, since the pinion is larger, I'd need more space than the 1/8" between starter shaft and flywheel tooth, wouldn't I? Any idea what that spacing might be? Or is the shaft larger by the same percent, and thus nullified?
commerce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commerceSend a Private Message to commerceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had similar starter issues. Turned out to be loose connections at the starter
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohoho:

Have you checked the grounds between the engine and chassis?

Also check the point where the negative battery cable bolts to the block to make sure the connection is clean.

Yup, I had run through and cleaned up the grounds a year or so ago... Took everything apart, wire-wheeled them, smeared them with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion, and put them back together again. Still looking good...

My car flat out died 3 days ago when I tried to leave work. Tthe solenoid would fire, but the starter wouldn't turn at all. That same day, my new starter showed up on my doorstep XD Couldn't get my truck started yesterday, but made it to work today, and as soon as I was off I put my new starter in. In the middle of the parking lot. in -30F weather... XD

Soon as I was done, cranked the key, and it fired right up! Didn't even care how cold it was, just like it used to.

Now I just gotta replace my TPS (AGAIN) and my Fiero will be good as... well... not new... but it won't have any significant problems.
kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked your timing?? It could be advanced a bit......

Oh...nevermind....

[This message has been edited by kyote (edited 01-08-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay