Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Funky custom 4 barrel intake for 2.8.... any good?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Funky custom 4 barrel intake for 2.8.... any good? by MaxCubes
Started on: 11-22-2013 10:05 PM
Replies: 14 (805 views)
Last post by: oldbikeracer on 11-25-2013 07:31 PM
MaxCubes

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw this intake for sale on craigs list Phoenix

wonder if it would work good on 2.8....

http://phoenix.craigslist.o.../pts/4171105900.html

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 11-22-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rcm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I woud be concerned about the welding job.I bet if you had it magnafluxed you would see a crack somewhere.
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's for a small port 3100, different configuration.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It won't fit.

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Obviously, the lower intake and heads would need to be used from the 3.1 and/or 3.4

And then the next question would be, does the distributor fit
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edelbrock 4-bbl intake manifold for the 2.8 V6

the 3785 http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW...em54003c7435&vxp=mtr

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

Obviously, the lower intake and heads would need to be used from the 3.1 and/or 3.4

And then the next question would be, does the distributor fit

You would need LIM and heads from a 3100 or 3400. But since the UIM appears to be from a small-port 3100, the LIM from a small-port 3100 would probably be more appropriate.
HarryG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MaxCubes,
You have a PM.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That intake with a large plenum and long runners would not be the best design for performance.

The air fuel mixture coming from the carb needs to be kept turbulent and flowing. Having a big open space like that does not help metering and atomization.

I would go with the Edelbrock which does work well, but if you can find one, the Offenhauser is better. It is race proven and harder to find but worth it.

Arn
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't someone on the forum do this mod on a track car? I seem to remember it being discussed before.
----- Think I found the one I remembered -- Titled - OH! NO! I have a 49 mm hole in my plenum

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 11-23-2013).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So after all the trouble of getting 3.1 heads and lower intake swapped out so that this plenum would bolt on

...You would need to cut a hole in your hood to clear the carburetor
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

...You would need to cut a hole in your hood to clear the carburetor

Depends on the air cleaner.
See here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040710-1-037964.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-24-2013).]

Rick Vanderpool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the back end of two 3.1 upper manifolds cut off and welded together. Note that there is no stock throttle body mount anywhere on the manifold other than the carb mount. In the Craigslist pictures there is a weld across the underside of the piece.
RacerX11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacerX11Send a Private Message to RacerX11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rcm:

I woud be concerned about the welding job.I bet if you had it magnafluxed you would see a crack somewhere.

Good luck maganfluxing an aluminum intake manifold.
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RacerX11:

Good luck maganfluxing an aluminum intake manifold.

I think for aluminum it is called zyglow or something like that. It is a dye type process that uses ultraviolet light to see cracks. I may be wrong on this, but I have been wrong before.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock