Started on: 11-14-2013 10:18 AM
Replies: 7 (256 views)
Last post by: jb1 on 11-16-2013 12:27 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used the search, and I'm having trouble finding what I want to know...

I find myself in possession of an entire 2002 Oldsmobile Aurora with the 4.0 V8 and the 4T80-E transmission.
The car has 117k on the odometer, and is considered totaled by the insurance company.

It still runs and drives, and made it home just fine last night.

I can handle wiring, and I can handle plumbing cooling tubes, etc...

Here's my question: What do I do about the ECM? Can the ABS/Other stuff be disabled and excluded from the programming?
I'd rather keep the stock ECM than run a standalone unit, and just shut all of those extras off, if possible.

I'm seriously considering this swap...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't answer your questions but can say the engine from the aurora is not the northstar engine that most people use. That engine is smaller.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

Can't answer your questions but can say the engine from the aurora is not the northstar engine that most people use. That engine is smaller.

The engine is actually very closely related to the Northstar in build and design. The exterior of the Northstar and the L47 engine from the Aurora is identical. The bore and stroke is different between the two.

Functionally, the swap should be the same and require the exact same stuff.
IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you can use the stock PCM to run your car. BUT there is a problem that (at least two of us) are having with disabling the Caddy ABS/Traction control stuff. Here's a recent thread you will want to peruse:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/130576.html

Having said that, I've talked with one tuner that said he had to make a calibration for the transmission side of the stock PCM. He said that his calibration worked and it was good to go. Its pretty expensive but I guess expensive is relative.

I'm still in process with Wester's up in Canada on this issue so I'm hoping it will be resolved soon. I am confident that It can be made to work.

Having said all that, though you may not be interested, you can use an alternative PCM or computer to control the engine and a separate controller to run the 4T80E tranny.

[This message has been edited by IXSLR8 (edited 11-14-2013).]

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or if you wanted to simplify the crap out of the swap, chrfab sells a 4bbl intake and go carb.

------------------

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000017.html

Check for your answer here, or PM the topic starter.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think the guy is still around, but he supposedly used a lingenfelter pwm-001 box for the 1st gear start issues.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-078978.html

His car is for sale in the mall, so you might ask the current owner how it runs and if it has the 2nd gear start issue or not. If it doesn't have the issue, then maybe the PWM-001 box is the ticket.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/067785.html
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the pwm-001 will not work, I spoke with AJ and actually had riceburner build a pwm module for me,, the problem is the is still no communication from the EBTCM to the computer. When I installed the module it cause it to drop to limp mode and only run on 4cyl. I am currently adding the ebtcm and wss to my car,, the car on the mall is running a 4t60e I would guess he is running same computer as the guys with 5sp swaps etc with a stand alone trans controlller..
Aj would not give me much info other than go with OBDII, he would be the one to actually contact , I can go back through my emails and find his email info if you would like.

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 11-16-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave