Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Water pump weeping, which brand to buy new?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Water pump weeping, which brand to buy new? by 88_GT4ME
Started on: 11-12-2013 11:36 PM
Replies: 8 (312 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 11-15-2013 12:45 PM
88_GT4ME

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_GT4MESend a Private Message to 88_GT4MEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Weeping behind the pulley :/

I've read that I should only install a new (not reman) water pump in the fiero. While new us obviously better in any car, I've also read the pump must have a cast iron impeller. I'm not sure if different manufacturers use different materials for their impellers anyhow, so I thought if ask the experts! (The fiero factory says the cast iron impeller is the only type that generated the force needed to push the coolant thru the long tubes of the fiero properly)

Which pump should I buy? The fiero store's $50 pump doesn't list any specifics about the item. Not too helpful... But there are $35 new pumps from autozone and the like in my area.

Anything specific? Does this job require a good vocabulary in the profanity department?

Thank you all!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88_GT4ME:

Anything specific? Does this job require a good vocabulary in the profanity department?

Thank you all!

Yes, yes it does, give the kids nearby earplugs.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a lot of good re-manufactured pumps. If you buy one locally, take a look at it before you walk out of the store. Plastic impellers are rare, but they still may be out there.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88_GT4ME:

Which pump should I buy? The fiero store's $50 pump doesn't list any specifics about the item. Not too helpful... But there are $35 new pumps from autozone and the like in my area.

You'd save time and shipping by just picking one up locally. Its not like the water pump is a rare or hard-to-get item. The same part number was used on many 80s-era GM cars with the 2.8 (you are talking about the 2.8, right?).

Replacement is tedious but not too difficult. The 88 uses Torx fasteners and there are three different sizes. Use caution that you don't strip or damage the bolt heads (some people replace the Torx bolts with regular hex bolts to make the job easier next time). Hardest one for me was the one that's hidden behind the water pump pulley - if you can get the pulley off ahead of time its no problem. Lots of people remove the battery to make access easier but I didn't and had no issues. All the tiny bolts along the bottom of the water pump are best reached from below the car. Upon re-assembly, be sure to use sealant on the bolt threads that require them.

88_GT4ME

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_GT4MESend a Private Message to 88_GT4MEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate all the replys! Good points, as they are indeed plentiful at any auto parts place around me.

At least that gives me the green light on a non-specific pump that will hopefully last a while! I guess if I flush the system periodically, it should last quite a whole and beat electrolysis...

I also plan on swapping for hex bolts as suggested!

Oh, yes, it's the V6

Since now is a great time to do a full flush, is there a good way to get ALL of the old coolant out? Aing that draning the radiator and dropping the pump will clear most of it, but should I be blowing the long tubes out as well?

Thank again guys!
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is probably worth your time to read this thread and the Jazzman link it contains: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-110635.html

I also STRONGLY suggest you purchase the Dodgerunner idler....you will likely never need to replace your WP again....mebbe not your alternator either....and you will forever be rid of the belt squeel!

Although most people use silicone instead of the paper gasket....I ended up doing it twice because my silicone blew out. I have had zero problems with the paper gasket and Permatex high tack.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Larry
88_GT4ME

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_GT4MESend a Private Message to 88_GT4MEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, great links! I hope to have the time to tackle the job in about a week..

I'll look into that pulley now!

I appreciate the help!
88_GT4ME

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_GT4MESend a Private Message to 88_GT4MEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88_GT4ME

11 posts
Member since Nov 2013
*idler, sorry-
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A New one made in China is NOT as good as a Rebuilt made in the USA. (Original casting, steel impeller)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock