Can't open trunk/engine lid by Jecklen16
Started on: 11-07-2013 02:58 PM
Replies: 9 (315 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 11-08-2013 07:49 AM
Jecklen16

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jecklen16Send a Private Message to Jecklen16Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an '85 Fiero GT and someone tried to break into what they thought was my trunk by drilling the lock cylinder right out of the trunk lid. I can see clear through what used to be the lock and though the idiot thief was unsuccessful in getting in, he/she was successful in stopping me from getting to my engine bay at all. I was in the middle of some engine work (distributor replacement) when the thief did this so I cannot use my car until I can get in. I have tried using a clothes hanger to get in but have no idea what I am doing... does anyone have any idea? Again it's drilled straight through.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Behind the lock is a slot for a screwdriver (where the rod for the lock used to go, which turned the latch mech). Just stick a screwdriver in there and turn, from what I can remember.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 11-07-2013).]

Jecklen16

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jecklen16Send a Private Message to Jecklen16Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if it was behind the lock cylinder it's gone. he/she drilled all the way through, all i see is fiberglass
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jecklen16

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jecklen16Send a Private Message to Jecklen16Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm so maybe the latch is fine. I'll have to look some more in there, all I saw when I looked through were frayed fiberglass fibers.
Jecklen16

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jecklen16Send a Private Message to Jecklen16Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jecklen16

71 posts
Member since Oct 2013
I think I may have a model that has a trunk release... or at least used to have a trunk release switch. If that makes a difference to the position of the latch.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LONG narrow screwdriver

I remember a decklid on a Fiero that I had to use a screwdriver, but that was quite some time ago.
Jecklen16

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jecklen16Send a Private Message to Jecklen16Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its toward the bottom right? flat head or phillips?

[This message has been edited by Jecklen16 (edited 11-07-2013).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get that LONG flat blade screwdriver jaski suggested and clear away all the debris inside. Take a flashlight and peer inside to locate the slot on the latch mechanism. It's straight back inside the lock cylinder hole. You can see the orientation of the latch slot, which should be vertical. Insert the screwdriver and rotate it back and forth until you feel it slip into the slot, then turn clockwise. The latch slot is in the same position for all models whether or not they have a remote release.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jecklen16:

its toward the bottom right? flat head or phillips?

flat head, about 12" long is more than long enough, 1/4" wide blade.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 11-08-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock