4T60 shifting question. by JCircs
Started on: 10-27-2013 08:36 AM
Replies: 14 (549 views)
Last post by: JCircs on 10-28-2013 01:15 PM
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just installed a 4T60 in my 3.4pr. My vacuum is connected at the manifold and I've switched my modulator to the MD-28 from the turbo GP because I have a turbo. The TV cable has been adjusted from min. to max. and I still don't have it shifting correctly. It seems to hold gears too long, if I back off the gas at 3k it will shift if not it will go to 3-1/2 or higher before it will shift on its own. My car does have a cam and vacuum is a little low at 10 and only goes down from there. Any idea what's going on here?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mine did that too. My cable was old and was not adjusting "automatically" the way it should so I did some manual adj and same as you shifts were late. installed a new cable and adjusted and now is shifting correctly. Although to kick down to passing gear pretty much have to floor it with a fast motion. slowly going to the floor won't engage it. Part is probably old technology but also wondering since I T'd mine off that port beside the throttle body if it doesn't like sharing vacuum. Which in a way is what you're wondering if there isn't quite enough vacuum.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1979 Naked Honda Goldwing - sold
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will try adjusting the TV again, I thought I went from minimum to max but I'll give it another try. I hope thats it.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 10-27-2013).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JCircs

961 posts
Member since Jan 2011
It was the TV cable, shifting perfect now. Now I need to find a way to line up P R N D because it's all off a bit.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

It was the TV cable, shifting perfect now. Now I need to find a way to line up P R N D because it's all off a bit.

The PND switch can usually be ajusted, the same way as a 125C does. I didn't try any adjustment when I put the switch on that transmission.

My bad . The 124C neutral start switch is not adjsutable. 4T60E's were adjustable. I am unsure if 4T60 is or not.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-27-2013).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Late/no upshift can be governor problems.

Gov is shaft to drive VSS.
Is trans for a van etc? Then likely need a trans shop to recal the gov'r.
Can try DIY cleaning the gov that but if you bend springs etc then need a shop to fix it.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32246 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by josef644:
My bad . The 124C neutral start switch is not adjsutable. 4T60E's were adjustable. I am unsure if 4T60 is or not.

Both use same switch in Fiero.
Adjust/reset: See my Cave, Neutral Safety Switch
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think it's the neutral safety switch that's my problem. The car won't start in neutral, and reverse lights come on in reverse, the problem is when the car is in reverse the shifter is in N and when the car is in drive the shifter is between 1 and 2. My throw is off due to the fact I needed to modify the cable bracket to avoid the turbo that sits right above the transmission, in doing that I needed to add an inch to the arm that comes out of the transmission through the neutral switch. By adding the inch it increases the travel thus making the selector inaccurate. I don't think there is anything that can be done to correct this except move the turbo and position the cable back to its original location.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The indicator can be adjusted (somewhat) by adjusting the position of the shifter in the console. The holes in the shifter bracket are elongated.

The fiero shifter has the detents for the four speed auto. It is critical to transmission longevity to have the proper length arm on the transmission gear select shaft so that the detents inside the trans coincide with the shifter detents. If the arm is the wrong length, the spool valve inside the trans shift body will not stop in the proper positions for range selection.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The indicator can be adjusted (somewhat) by adjusting the position of the shifter in the console. The holes in the shifter bracket are elongate.

When I first tried to setup the shifter in neutral park would not engage, so I started with the transmission in park and the selector in P. If I make make the adjustment at the shifter I might lose park again, but I won't know till I try.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:
I don't think it's the neutral safety switch that's my problem.

In late/no upshift problem, correct.
If in Drive... Drive meaning Drive detent in trans. shift cable not an issue too.
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Detent cable and vacuum issues are solved, car shifts smooth up and down. My only issue now is the alignment of the shifter. Park is perfect reverse is N and drive is 2/1.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From old FieroAddiction.com

Not sure if it's a full size pic.

And www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives...110502-2-104012.html

Big bracket doesn't need to be exact. Make sure you can adjust the cable.
if Lever is short/long then you will have problems.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-28-2013).]

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep the angle of the retangle that goes on the shifter post is really important. wonder how I know???

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1979 Naked Honda Goldwing - sold
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

Yep the angle of the retangle that goes on the shifter post is really important. wonder how I know???

Yes I also found that out.. The one from the Fiero is incorrect, I have the correct one but when you extend the length by 1" it needs to travel further to move the center pin the same distance. Same principle as a larger wheel and a speedometer.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock