West Coast Fiero Brakes by pttransamdriver
Started on: 09-22-2013 02:24 AM
Replies: 10 (1360 views)
Last post by: bmwguru on 10-04-2013 05:04 AM
pttransamdriver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pttransamdriverSend a Private Message to pttransamdriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone Shell out the big bucks for the WCF brakes? I'm considering, but I don't want to spend that kind of money without some testimonials behind it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Folks:

I have had three sets of West Coast Fiero’s big brake kits on my ‘87 and have been very pleased with each version.

The first set was the 12-inch Gen 4 Corvette kit which can be seen here: Brake kit, Corvette 12" front / 12" rear (1984 – 1988) http://www.westcoastfiero.c...rakes/brakes_12.html These were used with 17" wheels.

We the added new brackets and 13-inch Viper rotors and I believe this was the prototype for that kit: Brake kit, Vette/Viper 13" front / 13" rear (1984 – 1987) http://www.westcoastfiero.com/brakes/brakes_13.htm I sold this setup to Yellowstone and it can be seen here: http://www.yellowfiero.com/...une-2010-1/index.php These were used with 18" wheels on my car. I think Yellowstone was quite happy with this system.

I believe Stephen Snyder built the first Porsche Brembo/13” Viper Rotor setup with help from WCF and I think I got the got the first such kit built by WCF. This can be seen on the same page.

Here are some pictures of the current brakes on the car with 18" wheels:

Any of these kits will provide more brakes than you need and the one above is incredible and great for bragging rights. The Vette setups retain the Vette E-brake and the Brembo setups have a spot E-Ebrake (sort of my idea) which is weak. WCF is working on a better E-brake to replace the Wilwood spot setup.

I also have the S-10 master cylinder.

Regards,

David

------------------
1987 Fiero GT - 2006 3800 Series III Drive by Wire; Ported & Polished by TrippleEdge; 1.7 Yella Terra Full Roller Rockers; VS Cam; 3.1" Pulley; Tuning by Darth; WCF CAI & 1 5/8 Stainless Headers; 3" Exhaust; Semi-Built 4T65HD; Power Steering & Much More; MSD Coils & Wires; Porsche (Brembo) Calipers on 13" Viper Rotors; 18X8 TSW Indy Wheels; Paint by Phoenix Auto in California City.

[This message has been edited by MountainHiBlue87GT (edited 09-23-2013).]

MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is pttransamdriver? He asked the question.

Regards,

David
pttransamdriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pttransamdriverSend a Private Message to pttransamdriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, Sorry MountainHi thanks for the response. I heard that WCF was gone, I saw a youtube post (but we all know how trustworthy those are). If WCF is still around they seem like the better choice. Held's kit is REALLY pricey. So if you've had such good luck with them than I think I'll make my order. Before I do though what is this stuff I saw on another post about rain and brake dust getting into some of the kits brake fluid? This doesn't seem possible but is there something to that? With your kit have you had to frequently had to bleed your brakes after racing?
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi:

There is no chance that brake dust or water can get into the system. Perhaps some Wilwoods with no dust shields have the problem, but no way the WCF kits can have that happen.

Regards,

David

------------------
1987 Fiero GT - 2006 3800 Series III Drive by Wire; Ported & Polished by TrippleEdge; 1.7 Yella Terra Full Roller Rockers; VS Cam; 3.1" Pulley; Tuning by Darth; WCF CAI & 1 5/8 Stainless Headers; 3" Exhaust; Semi-Built 4T65HD; Power Steering & Much More; MSD Coils & Wires; Porsche (Brembo) Calipers on 13" Viper Rotors; 18X8 TSW Indy Wheels; Paint by Phoenix Auto in California City.

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

no way the WCF kits can have that happen

One thing I have learned in my long life is saying Never and No Way and words like that generally come back and bit you in the ass. Larry
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well if you consider that the Fiero brake master cylinder and lines are generally used or improved upon and all f the parts are GM, Brembo, or Chrysler which are not known for being leaky, then I will modify my statement that there is no way the system can be worse...than very reliable stock parts..... Of course any brake system can be sabotaged...but that is about the only way dust or water can get into a properly assembled brake system made of quality parts.

------------------

pttransamdriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pttransamdriverSend a Private Message to pttransamdriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I thought. I've only ever rebuilt OEM brake calipers, and they have dust boots around the caliper pistons so I'm not sure where any dust would get in in the first place. I've never seen real performance brakes before but I would hope that they are far better then the Stock systems.
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OOPS

[This message has been edited by MountainHiBlue87GT (edited 10-03-2013).]

MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MountainHiBlue87GT

369 posts
Member since Jan 2009
I supplied my own 2000 Porsche Boxter calipers, cleaned the repainted them and put new decals on them and replaced the pads with a German brand. The calipers did not need to be rebuilt and they work just fine after two years.

Here is a pic of one of the 13" Viper rotors.

Regards,

David

------------------

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Textar released a ceramic line call the epad which we have been installing for the past year with great results. German made, ceramic, low dust and never make noise. When you change the pads in the future, I recommend them.

Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave