88 GT Won't Start by 88GTFastback
Started on: 09-20-2013 02:11 PM
Replies: 13 (280 views)
Last post by: 88GTFastback on 09-24-2013 01:22 PM
88GTFastback

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 88GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all! I'm new to the forum. I recently acquired a 1988 GT. The previous owner told me he had it running two years ago. I'm pretty sure it's been sitting for a lot longer. He said it "had a knock" in the engine. I thought, "That's never good." However, I bought it as a fixer upper. I got it home and put a battery on it. Turned the key, no ignition. I noticed the rod was bent on the clutch master cylinder. That tells me that it sat for a long time, then someone pushed it and it bent. No big deal. I tried to start it, nothing. My first thought was the clutch neutral switch. That wasn't it, because I put a jumper on it and it still wouldn't go. I tried to manually start it right from the starter and it cranked. So, I'm thinking there must be a bad relay or fusible link. I also didn't hear the fuel pump turning on with the ignition turned. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really like to figure this out so I can get this bad boy running!

------------------
There are three kinds of people in this world; people who can count, and people who can't.

[This message has been edited by 88GTFastback (edited 09-20-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! And Slow Down! You do not want to get the car running without a few precautionary steps....or you may make something worse.
88GTFastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 88GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are some of the precautionary steps you recommend? The previous owner said the engine had a knock, so that could be a spun rod bearing. I wasn't planning on running the engine for an extended period of time. I just wanted to hear the engine to assess the damage.
88GTFastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 88GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88GTFastback

7 posts
Member since Sep 2013
What are some of the precautionary steps you recommend? The previous owner said the engine had a knock, so that could be a spun rod bearing. I wasn't planning on running the engine for an extended period of time. I just wanted to hear the engine to assess the damage.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull apart the major electrical connections and clean them...esp. battery to ground... new fluids?... spark plugs and wires if they look at all funky. Chances are the injectors will be somewhat plugged up. How long do you think the car has been sitting?
88GTFastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 88GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The guy said it was sitting for a year or so, so I wasn't initially too concerned about fluids and such. I checked the oil level and coolant levels. It checked out. On further inspection, I noticed coolant buildup in the throttle body. I'm thinking this car has been sitting for more like 5 years+ I ordered a new cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs. I'm going to drain the coolant also. I love it when people don't tell the truth to make a quick sale. The good news is it looks like the car was stored indoors.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
at a minimum you want to drain that gas, replace the fuel filter and maybe put some injector cleaner into the tank w/ new gas. Bottom line - fuel, air, spark. work each one until you know its not the issue. Or, stop now, pull the cradle and swap out the 2.8 for a 3.8 motor. Thats what I am doing on my "soon to be" daily driver 88 GT.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376 and a GT clip
88 GT, SIII 3800NA/Auto swap underway
LS Build Thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083204.html
LS on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0
3800 build thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089035.html

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GTFastback:

On further inspection, I noticed coolant buildup in the throttle body.

What's that? The coolant goes in and out.....do you mean coolant in the intake tube?
88GTFastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 88GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I pulled the rubber off of the throttle body where it comes off of the filter, there was nasty coolant buildup.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See if you can find out when the car was last registered. That will give you an indication of how long it has been sitting. Does the car have any stickers on the windshield or the license plate? Otherwise check with the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state or the State police. They can trace that info by the VIN.

Check all of your fuses first. That is what I learned to do after doing all the major suggestions I was given it came down to a fuse. Not saying that is the issue here but just something I now do whenever I purchase a Fiero. I have 5 and 2 of them have had fuse issues. I would also buy a couple of fusible links just to keep handy.

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 09-21-2013).]

88GTFastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 88GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last registration sticker says 2002. I found it in the trunk. People lie, right?
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GTFastback:

When I pulled the rubber off of the throttle body where it comes off of the filter, there was nasty coolant buildup.

That's the last place you should see coolant. Is the throttle body broken? It should have coolant lines running in and out, but no connection to the intake air.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seized Fuel Pump. Read my Thread here (wait for all pics to load):
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/088012.html
88GTFastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 88GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure the fuel pump is trashed. The thing is, the starter won't even crank. It will manually, but not from the ignition. I need to drain the gas.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock