3800 Swap Starter Wiring help by Fiero_Guy
Started on: 09-19-2013 01:49 AM
Replies: 6 (1273 views)
Last post by: FIEROFLYER on 09-20-2013 07:33 AM
Fiero_Guy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_GuySend a Private Message to Fiero_GuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick question, I have a 88 GT automatic, I just swapped a 3800 into the car I want to be sure I'm wiring the starter correctly.
Will the starter only have two wire I need to attach to it, should any of them be a fusible link?

C500 A4 Yellow Wire goes to Neutral Switch pin G on shift select selector.
The purple wire from the shift select selector at Pin E goes to the starter S terminal.
and the Starter Battery + terminal goes where to a grounding point?? or to the battery + Feed?? or a 12 Volt supply??
is there any other items that need to be wired to the starter?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought the battery cable went directly to the Battery + post on the starter. A lot of draw, would need a good thick gauge wire.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Guy:

Quick question, I have a 88 GT automatic, I just swapped a 3800 into the car I want to be sure I'm wiring the starter correctly.
Will the starter only have two wire I need to attach to it, should any of them be a fusible link?

C500 A4 Yellow Wire goes to Neutral Switch pin G on shift select selector.
The purple wire from the shift select selector at Pin E goes to the starter S terminal.
and the Starter Battery + terminal goes where to a grounding point?? or to the battery + Feed?? or a 12 Volt supply??
is there any other items that need to be wired to the starter?

That would be a bad idea. I think you are in over your head.

Fiero_Guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_GuySend a Private Message to Fiero_GuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So can someone help with the correct way to wire the starter?
Cheers
Fierostarvin

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Peruse some of these threads, there is some great info

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079560.html
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Guy:

So can someone help with the correct way to wire the starter?
Cheers

It's simple. the purple wire from C500 goes to the smaller lug (solenoid) and the large lug goes to the battery, use 4 gauge or larger wire for the starter (unless its a front mount battery then 0 or larger), it already has a ground via the block... Sleeve and protect the hot really good or add a 200A inline fuse.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Battery + straight to starter larger lug, battery = or ground goes to chassis ground, for this I prefer the bell housing bolt closest to the starter by using a stud there. Keep in mind when making your harness there is chassis grounds that go to ground on the block and PCM reference grounds that go to the PCM do not mix them up. Dan

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock