Started on: 09-12-2013 08:41 PM
Replies: 3 (292 views)
Last post by: starlightcoupe on 09-13-2013 10:51 PM
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes it can be a PIA to get body putty/fiberglass to stay put while it dries, especially on an edge. I've found a simple solution; just hold it in place with slick plastic like that from a blister/bobble pack or in the case, a section cut from a cat litter container. The putty/F-glass won't stick to it. I've also used it to repair trim items like side moldings with fiberglass with great results.

BTW: That's my DIY 12x16 paint booth and the front lid and DIY whale tail I'm working now. Car will be in next. The lil square hole in the wall has very strong fan inside it with an 8" dia vent tube out a window. Works great.

------------------
http://i16.photobucket.com/...ancis44/100_1147.jpg
[/URL]
[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/francis4
4/000_0451-1.jpg[/IMG]
trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Francis T (edited 09-12-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IFLYR22

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!

I use wax paper in a similar way.

-Dave
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just use masking tape. Another little trick is filler wont stick to the smooth side of masking tape, so if you building an edge at a seam, you can cover a piece of cardboard with tape and insert it in the seam and just push filler in it. After it hardens, you just pull out the cardboard for a nice clean edge. I do that on door seams especially all the time.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I like your paint booth. I have been toying with something similar and less ambitious but I like your ideas so much better than my chewing gum and saran wrap idea. If my car doesn't sell, I will paint it next summer and will unashameably steal your paint booth idea. I can also use your idea about repairing edges too. I have absolutely no body work skills so I can use all the good ideas I have found here. Thanks for the great pix.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock