One of the brushes broke off in headlight motor by zkhennings
Started on: 09-10-2013 09:43 AM
Replies: 8 (289 views)
Last post by: IIKool on 09-12-2013 07:14 AM
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So one of my headlights (85 so old style) was having trouble going up and down so I cleaned out the gears, resoldered some frayed wire and cleaned the commutators and brushes, but one of the brushes just fell off in this process. Should I

Get a new brush and switch assembly

Get a whole new motor

Or do I have any other options?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The easiest option is to secure another limiter switch set from a used motor. It doesn't matter which side the limiter switch comes from.

I've been working for over a year to find a way to attach brushes, and The Fiero Store has been working at reproducing the limiter switch it for over 2 years. Attaching brushes is the big holdup.

A suggestion to help avoid brushes coming off: When reinstalling the limiter switch, rotate the motor shaft so that the brushes aren't catching in the grooves of the armature. You can also use a set of snap ring pliers to open up the spring metal brush mounts so that they don't scrub against the armature as you install them.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bodyman39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bodyman39Send a Private Message to Bodyman39Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All you need to do is buy brushes from parts store cut off what is left of old brush and solder the wire from the new to the old I've done this a few times headlight still works after two years.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What parts store are you buying brushes from? I did not know you could buy them separately but I will definitely try that first. The brush came completely off.
northstar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2013 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northstarSend a Private Message to northstarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a junk headlight motor for $10 bucks. C-note
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Certain year Cadillacs have the exact same brush setup in there
electric antennas. off the top of my head I can't remember the years
but if you search PFFs archives I'm sure you can find the info.
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ponnari

565 posts
Member since Dec 2011
If I'm making new brushes I buy acdelco alternator brushes and cut them down
With a dremel, then finish them up using small files and sandpaper to get the right fit
IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ponnari:

If I'm making new brushes I buy acdelco alternator brushes and cut them down
With a dremel, then finish them up using small files and sandpaper to get the right fit

What years are you making them for?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock