Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What are some ways to get a little more power out of these 2.8 stock?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What are some ways to get a little more power out of these 2.8 stock? by FieroGT-987
Started on: 09-07-2013 11:03 AM
Replies: 9 (313 views)
Last post by: racingfortheson on 09-07-2013 07:06 PM
FieroGT-987

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 gt 2.8 stock. I was thinking lf porting the throttle body maybe. What are some diy things or addons i could try. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Porting the intake will give you some decent gains.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would you or someone please guide me on how to do this and what will i need? Thanks. I cant find it anywhere
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Porting the exhaust manifolds will do more.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's one for the lower intake/heads:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040223-2-039423.html

There are lots out there on porting the exhaust as well. Do a search under 'port exhaust' and make sure to chose 'entire forum plus archives'. Lots of good info out there. If you have the time, I would recommend you do both. I've read that most that have done it have been pleased with the results.
Fiero_Fastback_Freak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fastback_FreakClick Here to visit Fiero_Fastback_Freak's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero_Fastback_FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could buy a performance chip, it will give you some more power

------------------
Any man can drive a car, but it takes a real man to drive a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Fiero_Fastback_Freak (edited 09-07-2013).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a dyno and see how much power you're making and what your a/f ratio is across the rpm range. If it's below or above 13:1 the a chip could help if tuned to your specific needs. Don't buy a chip off the shelf.
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't buy the performance chip. Its a waste.
port the exhaust manifolds, y-pipe, and buy a new muffler. 14 horse dyno proven.
I cant look up the threads right now though.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like he said, ported exhaust manifold, ported Y and if you don't need it, get rid of the CAT. It is likely clogged.

You may need a muffler, but you may not.

The real issue after that is done, is the intake and flow.

I built a 2.8 to 132 hp at the wheels. It took porting the heads and all of the above. I also carb'd it to get more fuel mixture into it.

In short, though, the ported exhaust is the quickest and most efficient improvement.

Arn

------------------

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did the manifolds, port matched the intake to the gaskets and the 1.6 roller rockers and it runs so great. It is like a new car for real. I didn't get to do the pipe or y pipe and still had awesome gains.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock