porting the lower/middle intake manifolds by virii01
Started on: 08-04-2003 07:35 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Taijiguy on 08-04-2003 08:21 PM
virii01

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virii01Send a Private Message to virii01Direct Link to This Post
Will porting the lower and middle intake manifolds on the 2.8 result in any worthwhile performance gain? What are the major restrictions in them? I have an extra set laying around that I was thinking about playing with. My plan is to eventually fabriate an upper plennum.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
According to my Big Fiero Parts Book, the lower intake manifold is a major obstruction to airflow. Here is what they reccomend for it.
1- Using a die grinder, just radius out from the injector hole to the scribed line you have made on the head side-mounting surface. This will restore most of the cone shape pattern of the fuel injectors and increase airflow. The scribe lines are made by matching the gaskets to the intake and scribing their opening. You can do this for the heads also.
2- Remove the casting ridges just past the fuel injector holes.
3- Port match the remaining areas (not the areas by the injector holes), and blend this areas back 1/2 inch.
4- Repeat the marking procedures for the top of the intake manifold (where it joins the center intake) and carefully open and smooth these areas. Be careful, as these areas are very thin.
5- When cleaning and rinsing the lower intake manifold, take extra care and time in cleaning the cold start injector passages. There is one output hole per intake runner, which is about 3/16" in diameter. Make sure these holes are open and clean. Use brake cleaner or Gum Out to clean these passages.
6- Use FelPro Blue as a gasket sealant on both sides of the gaskets and follow the shop manual for torque sequence for tightening the intake to the head bolts.
Hope this helps.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I know this has been said a hundred times (101 now...) but if you do the heads too, don't grind down the "shark fin" that protrudes into the intake port, as this is actually of benefit to air flow. It's OK to smooth it up, but don't grind it out completely.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock