Manual swap wiring question by KY87fierogt
Started on: 08-03-2013 08:57 AM
Replies: 6 (490 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 08-06-2013 05:38 PM
KY87fierogt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am currently swapping a 88 2.8 engine/ 5 spd tranny(w/engine wire harness) into an 87 gt(auto). I will not be swapping harnesses inside the car. The donor car has power nothing while the other is power everything. I know I will have to run wires for the clutch switch. Do I need to swap the wires going to the (c500? Next to the battery)? I know the tranny swap has been covered quite a bit bunt I have been unable to find the info I need.

Travis
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just remove or ignore the TCC wire, wire in the clutch ignition switch and the rear engine harness from the 88 manual should work fine in place of the 87 auto once you move the starter wire inside the C500. Only draw back will be the need to depress the clutch to make the power trunk work. You are going to change over to a manual ECM as well I hope. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your automatic body harness will have the starter wire on pin A4. (Yellow)
Your manual transmission engine harness will have the starter wire on pin E2 (Pink)

The simple solution is to pull the E2 wire and pin out of your ENGINE SIDE C500 plug and reinsert it in pin A4.

First thing you have to do is pull the white pin retention fork from the side of the C500 connector. Yes it is there, dig in the gunk on the side of the connector and you will find it. Gently pry it out with a small screwdriver.

Now use a tool to depress the pin retention tang on the pin at E2. Then gently pull the wire out backwards. Now bend the tang back up and reinsert the wire at A4. Reinsert the white clip and you are finished.

The tang bends down by inserting a tool, in this picture, in the hold to the right of the pin. Something about the size of a 4 penny nail, or maybe just a bit smaller. If you look at this connector, you can identify it as a manual transmission plug since it does have a wire at E2, but none at A4.

What the pin looks like

A great thread on what you are doing - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-099987.html

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-03-2013).]

KY87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you both for the replies. I really appreciate the help!! BTW...the pictures help ALOT!!

Travis
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I opted to move the starter wire in the CAR side of C500 instead of the engine side.
This, only because I wanted to be able to swap in another manual tranny/engine/harness, down the road, without any surprises.

I also opted to not install a clutch switch.
I started driving with cars that didn't have a clutch switch. Got used to the idea of not starting the car without stepping on the clutch.
Not recommending that anyone else do this. Just mentioning that's what I did.
KY87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I also opted to not install a clutch switch.

Did you have to bypass for the clutch switch?

Since I am using an auto interior harness and a manual engine harness I won't have the wires for the neutral safety switch or the clutch switch. Any ideas on what I need to do?

Phonedawgs- thanks again for the info and pics.........easy to do. The manual harness had a purple wire....I assume it was the correct one because it was in E2 and a heavy gauge wire(just like the auto's yellow).
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That large yellow wire runs from C500 to the ignition switch, located under the dash located on the top of the steering column. Cut the wire and route it to the new clutch switch. Run a new wire from the clutch switch to the wire that runs to the ignition switch.

Yes I did add the clutch switch to my Auto to MT swap.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock