Help with C500 Connector by MattMan
Started on: 04-21-2009 01:33 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: slicknick on 06-29-2011 09:37 PM
MattMan

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MattManSend a Private Message to MattManDirect Link to This Post
I need to switch around 2 pins on the C500 male connector on my 88 Formula.
Does anyone have a sketch/picture of what these pins look like once they are pushed out?
I've tried using small screwdrivers and even bought a tool from NAPA to try and get these pins out without success.
Has anyone had any luck doing this?
Any help would be appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Those pins are called "metri-pack". This has a good description: http://www.rowand.net/Shop/...tricalConnectors.htm

You should be able to find some good pics with a google image search.
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I see Will beat me to the punch, but since I went to the trouble of getting a couple photos, I'll post them anyways. These are from an 86, but they're probably all similar. The pins are released from the inside of C500. First, you'll notice that the pin is offset to (call it) the top of the hole when viewed from the inside. What you must do is stick your tool (or a big bobby pin) into the hole under the tongue of the pin...

and bend a little metal tang (call it) upwards. While doing this, pull gently on the wire from behind and it should slip out. Before you put it back in the new hole, be sure to bend the little tang back to it's normal position so it catches the inside of the plastic connector and holds it in place, otherwise it will push out the back of the connector when you mate the female half to it. This picture shows the metal tang bent back to it's normal position.

MattMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MattManSend a Private Message to MattManDirect Link to This Post
Thank you to you both for the information and pics. Based on the pictures of the terminals I cannot understand why I have not been able to remove those little buggers! I was pressing in the correct area, but must not be pushing the tang back far enough. I will clean out the connector better and try again.
Again, thanks guys!
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The tar-like sealant used on the C500 makes that connector tough to deal with.

ALSO, you MUST pull out the white "terminal position assurance" (TPA) pieces from the side of the connector before ANY of the pins will release.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/...tricalConnectors.htm

Thanks for posting the link to an excellent resource.

FWIW, Mouser Electronics stocks a lot of Metri-Pack terminals and other pieces for GM electrical connectors. I found everything I need there to build a new harness for a '95 Grand Prix HUD unit and its control switch assembly. Unlike a lot of other big suppliers, Mouser will sell these parts in small quantities.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 04-22-2009).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
cave, electrical, general, terminal access

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

MattMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MattManSend a Private Message to MattManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

The tar-like sealant used on the C500 makes that connector tough to deal with.

ALSO, you MUST pull out the white "terminal position assurance" (TPA) pieces from the side of the connector before ANY of the pins will release.

Oh for cryin' out loud. I never noticed that TPA piece on the connector. Will, you are my hero! (And I feel like such a noob.)
I will work on it tonight. Thank you very, very much!
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I used this thread to switch out one pin on my C500. Thanks to all that added information.
Joe Crawford
Texas
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store has the tool (GM Terminal Tool, # 51490).

http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=51490&d=263&p=3
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Thanks for posting the link to an excellent resource.

FWIW, Mouser Electronics stocks a lot of Metri-Pack terminals and other pieces for GM electrical connectors. I found everything I need there to build a new harness for a '95 Grand Prix HUD unit and its control switch assembly. Unlike a lot of other big suppliers, Mouser will sell these parts in small quantities.

Yes Mouser carries the full line of Delphi GM terminal pins. The trouble is finding out exactly what ECM/PCM pin to use. Only accurate way is to remove a pin and measure up. Anyone know a sure way to determine what pins were used on the 4.9L ECM and 3800SC PCM's?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-29-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Yes Mouser carries the full line of Delphi GM terminal pins. The trouble is finding out exactly what ECM/PCM pin to use. Only accurate way is to remove a pin and measure up. Anyone know a sure way to determine what pins were used on the 4.9L ECM and 3800SC PCM's?

MetriPack 100W for the 3800SC PCM's. 12084913 for 20-22 ga wire and 12084912 for 18 ga wire The Delphi part numbers will work in the Mouser search

Edit: 4T65E as well

[This message has been edited by slicknick (edited 06-29-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock