clutch, shifter cables, shifter, or transmission by devildog0692
Started on: 07-25-2013 09:42 PM
Replies: 4 (151 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 07-26-2013 06:16 PM
devildog0692

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for devildog0692Send a Private Message to devildog0692Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys. When I bought my fiero I was having some clutch issues. Basically I couldn't get it into any gear cause as soon as you slide the shifter over and try to put it in gear, it would start grinding. Now after asking around, I was given the possible fix of replacing the master and slave cylinders which I did. I'm still having the same issue. I was able to put it in gear while the engine was off (obviously) and couldn't get it started. I also now cannot get it back out of the gear it was in. Basically its stuck in reverse, seems like its in neutral, and won't come out of gear
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds like air in clutch lines and the stuck in gear but in netural sounds like a broke shift cable
devildog0692

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for devildog0692Send a Private Message to devildog0692Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should it turn out that there isn't air in the lines do you know what else it could be?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you have a 2nd person, have them move the shifter around, and watch the results at the transmission. make sure the cables at the mounts are not separating, or collapsing. then, do the same inside - remove the shifter console, and go thru the gears, and look at cable mounts - make sure they are not collapsing or separating. also - look for change or other items which may have fallen in, and jammed up the shifter.

to rule out the transmission, disconnect the shifter cables, and move the shift levers by hand. if you can go thru the gears by hand - its NOT the trans.

for the clutch - again, with second person, have them push in the clutch, and watch the travel of the slave piston. I dont remember off the top of my head how far it should go - but I think its at least 1", maybe 1-1/2"?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About 1" travel at the slave is good. Some cars are fine with a little less travel...but your issue does sound like the cables are messed up. Make sure the transmission levers work freely without cables attached, and the shifter should work easily also.

edit: It's usually always air in the line.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-26-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock