Original Fiero Jack by dematrix86gt
Started on: 07-20-2013 01:00 AM
Replies: 13 (657 views)
Last post by: dematrix86gt on 07-25-2013 01:33 PM
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started the under hood clean up of my 86 GT and the Jack that came with the car (was in the trunk) will not fit in the mount by the washer tank. Making me believe this is not the jack for this car.
Can some please post a pic of the original jack that goes with the 86 GT. And if someone has one for sale in good condition. Parts fund is tapped out for the next 2 weeks because of a crappy clutch job the PO did on the car before i bought it.
ended up replacing clutch arm, TO bearing (exploded and went thru PP) clutch set, Slave cyl (had getrag slave with a damn rocker pushrod in it) and the Master (dont know what that thing fit but deff not a fiero) so my funds are gone for the month. but after that ill be wanting to buy one.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my '86 GT and how the jack is supposed to be situated. Sorry it's the only shot I have on hard and isn't exactly that close up.

The jack seat pedestal has a notch that the front of the jack is supposed to slide into. If you look at the pedestal and your jack you'll see both fairly clear. You then tighten the large hold-down bolt while holding the jack with the other hand to make sure it stays situated on the pedestal. Otherwise it'll likely slip off of the notch or not sit flush. Additionally, the jack is supposed to have a rubber band to go around it and the lift arm. In the photo of mine it is missing and in most Fieros I have came across they are missing. I solved this by using a black zip tie to hold it in place. It's then just easy to slip off if needed.

If you still have your spare tire you can seat it either as I have it or flip it over. If you have it seated like I do, you can hide spare tools and jumper cables like I have done. If you flip the spare over, you will have more trunk space overall.

The lug wrench was originally a light-ish blue if I remember right. I painted mine silver to stand out against all the black.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 07-20-2013).]

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats deff not the jack i have!!! mines prob 4 inches longer. i got to find an original one. I have that holddown skrew. and the original spare tire but thats about all i got. Thanks for the pic now i know what those spring steel tines are for now (holding the lug wrench) and what the jack is suppost to look like.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 84's had a jack with a little bail or strap like thing that was part of the jack. The bracket in the trunk was different.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FFIEROFRED:

The 84's had a jack with a little bail or strap like thing that was part of the jack. The bracket in the trunk was different.

This. I bought a jack out of an 84 at the junkyard, for my 85, only to find out it didn't fit. I wasn't buying another jack, so I made it fit and lived with it.

Jim

FieroDan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDan86Send a Private Message to FieroDan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dematrix86gt:

Thats deff not the jack i have!!! mines prob 4 inches longer. i got to find an original one. I have that holddown skrew. and the original spare tire but thats about all i got. Thanks for the pic now i know what those spring steel tines are for now (holding the lug wrench) and what the jack is suppost to look like.

Slightly off topic but I would definitely replace your original spare tire with a new one. Reason I say this is that I had a seemingly never used (looked brand new) original space saver spare in my '88GT and it exploded in the front compartment with a tremendous amount of force (they are supposed to be inflated to 60psi after all) while I was driving one day. I'm talking rubber chunks everywhere and the fibers inside the tire exploded in all directions. Scared the hell out of me! 25year old rubber at 60psi is a bad combination. Luckily I wasn't actually using it (driving on it)! Got a brand new one installed for not that much money. Just my $0.02.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a great idea. Just assuming you have a good spare not realizing it's over 20 years old can be a problem. Glad you mentioned that. If any car clubs have a maintance or tech inspection that should be addressed.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you get a used Jack then carefully check the screw. Worn/rust screw often = junk.
Grease a bit w/ white grease to stop rusting etc.

Originally posted by FieroDan86:
I would definitely replace your original spare tire with a new one. ... Got a brand new one installed for not that much money.

OE Spare Tire is T125/70D15

I've tried to get new one but I found that...
Most tire stores won't sell temp spares.
If you find a temp spare tire online, many local stores won't mount it on your old rim.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

FieroDan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDan86Send a Private Message to FieroDan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I messed up the quote originally posted by TheOgre. It should be in the quotation box.

[/QUOTE]

OE Spare Tire is T125/70D15

I've tried to get new one but I found that...
Most tire stores won't sell temp spares.
If you find a temp spare tire online, many local stores won't mount it on your old rim.

[/QUOTE]

I bought mine from Discount Tire (Americas Tire Center) in CA and they mounted it without any hassle. I wonder why they would give you a hard time about it seeing as how just about every new car smaller than SUV's and trucks come with the space saver spares.

[This message has been edited by FieroDan86 (edited 07-23-2013).]

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my tire guy will mount just about anything. He loves it when we bring a 195/60/15 to be stretched across a 10 inch wheel. ha ha Break out the starting fluid or the cheetah bead setter. lol One way or another that baby gonna stretch!!!
J-Holland

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J-HollandSend a Private Message to J-HollandEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where praytell is Havana, Ark? I may have a spare jack in my parts car.
PFF
System Bot
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know where Magazine Mt. is at? Havana is at the South side Base of it on Hwy 10.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang You only 27 miles from me! PPl around here just dont have any parts around here. Need to get together sometime.

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Reviving a Fiero. BTDT

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/052684.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock