Timing advance issue? by Ducati Jones
Started on: 07-17-2013 09:28 AM
Replies: 9 (286 views)
Last post by: Ducati Jones on 07-22-2013 10:14 AM
Ducati Jones

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1986 Fiero SE with 2.8 and auto trans. The cars engine is mostly stock. I added a blaster coil and replaced the ignition control module about 7 months ago. Wife got me new fuel injectors for Christmas. Cap, rotor, plugs and wires replaced about 18 monthes ago. Now my problem. I went on a 2 hour trip in 95 degree heat last evening and after a while on acceleration from stops the engine started to bulk at the revs. Like the ignition advance was not working. Once I get up to crusing speed it runs fine. Just medium to hard acceleration the puppy fights it. I got a feeling I cooked something. The A/C doesn't work so I was not running it. Car starts up fine and has good idle. Any clues where to start looking for the issue?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changed the fuel filter lately?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any change in the exhaust sound (quieter)? Your catalytic converter could be starting to plug up....
Ducati Jones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is one thing I have not done to the critter since I bought it last year. How does the high air temperture relate to the fuel filter? The car never got below 4 gallons. I topped the tank off during the trip and added 5 gallons. I was thinking more of an ignition timing issue. Thanks for the reply.
Ducati Jones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ducati Jones

79 posts
Member since Jun 2012
The cat is not an issue if you know what I mean. Thanks!
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard acceleration uses more fuel, so it could be a fuel flow issue. Hard acceleration also increses the cylinder pressure which could blow out the spark, but that should show up more as missing rather than a smooth loss of power. Sounds more like a fuel issue to me. Larry
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you can hook the car up to a scanner and see if your IAT and CTS are working properly. These two sensors send info to the computer so it can help calculate fuel and such. The IAT is in the air filter housing and the CTS is right below the thermostat housing. If these are off the fuel mixture will be wrong. You can test both of these with a digital multimeter. this thread talks about it. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-107560.html bottom line if they are both original to the car might be a good idea to change them out.

hywel
Ducati Jones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe your right and the heat had nothing to do with it. It was just a coincidence that the filter started acting up on a super hot day. Another thing to put on my Fiero to do list. Thanks!
Ducati Jones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ducati Jones

79 posts
Member since Jun 2012
Sensors! I don't know any history on the car other than what I have done to it. I will check out the link and get my multi meter out. Thanks!
Ducati Jones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the good advice. I changed out the Air charge temp sensor. It smoothed out the idle and restored the acceleration. After that I replaced the cap and rotor with an Accel unit. Old cap had some bad pitting. Replaced the fuel filter and discovered some funky fuel line repairs someone did in the past. Thats the problem I guess when you buy an older car and have no real history on it. You can find some wierd repairs. I also installed a Summit oil filter relocation kit. It uses a filter for a Ford V8. I mounted it below the batter tray in the space behind the lower quater panel. I bought a pair of new lower quarter panels with scoops moulded in. I just need to get them painted before I install them. I hoping to use this as a poor mans oil cooler plus it added close to an extra quart of oil capacity.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock