No start by taps
Started on: 07-14-2013 05:06 PM
Replies: 4 (169 views)
Last post by: taps on 07-15-2013 11:53 PM
taps

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tapsSend a Private Message to tapsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 gt 2.8L v6 I believe it is an electrical issue, we sprayed starting fluid and it still wouldn't even sputter.
We have changed the ecm (and chip). spark plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, icm, and coil. Is it possible that the pick up coil in the distributor cap is causing the no spark issue?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be aware the the ECM Chip goes in one way.There is a very small circle or half circle imprinted on the chip end and should face the same direction as the impression (circle) on the chip holder. Check your fuses and the fuseable links by the battery.Did you buy this car this way? Might be the ignition modual or the ignition switch (not the key switch).

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 07-14-2013).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by taps:

Is it possible that the pick up coil in the distributor cap is causing the no spark issue?

Yes

To test -

To replace
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...14-2-114261.html#p13

After replacing the pick up coil - if your pick up coil wires do this - your Fiero will fail in a few weeks to months when the insulation in the wires gets cut through by the dist base.

Twist up the wires before plugging the coil into the ICM so the wires can't hang over the edge. You can't see if they hang over, and even if you could, you can't get your fingers down there when putting the cap back on.
blacknotchback86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacknotchback86Send a Private Message to blacknotchback86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i can tell you know what your doing have you verified no spark from the plug them selfs or the coil? and not a flooded condition? if it is flooded that much some times it can't light the fuel or it cheery reds the exhaust header and y-pipe when it finally lights the gas. i am guessing it is no spark like your thinking. but you can take a screw driver stick the metal blade in the wire to the coil and hold it close to ground to verify no spark or weak spark. just be careful not to get zapped by like touching the metal screw driver blade... when doing this as you know the zap does not feel to good .

and yes the pick up coil tells when to fire the plugs it help sink the timing of the engine with the ecm... and can cause a no spark issue...

just trying to save you a problem is why i am thinking to verify spark. if there is none there is none by the way if you are going to pull the distributor mark it for easy install it will easy installation...

[This message has been edited by blacknotchback86 (edited 07-14-2013).]

taps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tapsSend a Private Message to tapsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys for all the quick replies, i will verfiy the spark tomorrow, if no spark i will test pickup coil and icm, then if faulty replace.
If the pickup coil is faulty i will most likely replace the whole distributor to the new style does anyone have a link as to where to get the new style distributor, i believe it is A1 cardone

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock