Started on: 07-09-2013 10:35 AM
Replies: 42 (5427 views)
Last post by: Diamond Dave on 04-01-2014 03:56 PM
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2013 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Corpsmen Ed:
I am just looking for the straight dope on transmission, so I can make an educated purchase for the swap.

I would love a manual, but worry about stregth and gearing issues I have heard about from other forum members.

The Auto would be good, but less fun.

I don't plan to use it for racing or autocross. Mostly just a fun cruiser. It would be nice to have the option of getting on it, if the need arrises.

Any additional suggestions?

How much are you willing to spend, to get the transmission in and working with the 3800?

If you're willing to spend up to $5K to get the transmission in and working with the 3800, get an F40.

If you're not willing to spend much money to get the F40 working with the 3800, then make a choice between the F23 and the Getrag. The F23 is stronger, but requires more work to get installed and working, so will be a bit costlier. The Getrag will almost certainly be fine as well, if you're not going to abuse it. A newer getrag with the hydraulic throwout bearing will be a better option to go with, but does need some adapting to connect the Fiero hydraulics and cables.

And if you want to swap to auto, then stick with the 4t65 that's bolted to the 3800. Simply freshen it up and call it a day.

That's really all the info you need. All you have to do with it is make a decision. The F23 and Getrag are plenty strong to handle a close to stock 3800 SC. There are enough of them running on the roads all over the country to validate it.
IP: Logged
Corpsmen Ed

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Corpsmen EdClick Here to visit Corpsmen Ed's HomePageSend a Private Message to Corpsmen EdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody have any experience with a 3800SC in longitudinal arrangement? Maybe mated to an Audi transaxle? Or maybe even a C6 corvette transaxle & bell-housing.

Still debating whether to do a frame stretch, and if so, if I should go ahead an make the move to the longitudinal setup?

Thoughts?
Diamond Dave

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I myself have wrestled with this question over, and over, and over again. Everyone who has a healthy engine, especially in the V8 swaps, seems to lean towards the F40. I am inclined to believe at this time the F40 has the best reliability and hp capabilities than any other transmission available. Yes they are more exspensive but you asked for the best transmission for your build. For my money that is the F40. All the big builders agree on that. If there was anything better they would have found it. Good luck with your project. Will, Bloozeberry, even Archie uses the F40.

------------------
Diamond Dave
(The real DD not the rocker dude)
84 Enterra Vipre (The only One)
88 Formula 2.8 (soon to be Enterra Vipre)

[This message has been edited by Diamond Dave (edited 04-02-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock