Group 51 Civic battery? by neverendingproject
Started on: 06-30-2013 10:45 PM
Replies: 12 (755 views)
Last post by: neverendingproject on 07-24-2013 12:00 AM
neverendingproject

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have experience using a smaller off the shelf battery? My Optima is mounted up front but it's about to give up the ghost and I's like to replace it with something that would allow me to reinstall my steering damper and still fit the spare tire over it. I tried the super small 16Ah battery with my 3.4 and it worked fine but would need to be charged after leaving the doors open for any length of time. It also has to spin over a Northstar so I'm a little skeptical.

------------------

'84 2m4 Northstar 5 speed
'84 3800SCII sold
'86 GT-'92 3.4 TDC 5 speed(sold)

[This message has been edited by neverendingproject (edited 07-24-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am currently running that model (type 51 auto craft silver 525cca) in a front mount in the convertible. It was done as a temp solution, but seems to have no issues. It only has to crank a duke, though. No signs of weakening after letting it sit for a couple hours playing the radio at the 30th.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always use a Miata battery when making my own small battery conversion. Less weight, real car battery, and real car battery warranty.
neverendingproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you fit your spare tire over it? What kind of box are you running? Can't believe the 30th is over, on the bright side it's only 5 years till I miss the 35th.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am running a Dyna-Batt battery with my LS4/F40 and it works great. The battery is mounted to the underside of the passenger head light bucket area and clears the 88 coupe fascia.

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Thanks guys!

Ordered my Battery today.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-5575a

Since this is a non-aero notchie, I can't mount the battery under the headlight like I usually do. This swap also has me more weight conscious than normal and looking for ways to save weight vs. my old SBC/Getrag swap. So both of these items will have me experimenting with a Dyna-Batt battery. The battery has a 7 x 3 x 6.5 foot print and weights only 13.5 lbs... a 20 lb savings from a stock Fiero battery and its small size should allow it to be mounted between the spare tire tub and the radiator and not in the spare tire tub at all. This would provide access for jump starting and require just 4 mounting holes (after I fab up a bracket to hold it).

I might need to keep the blue dingy thing for my headlights because these small batteries don't last nearly as long as a stock sized battery.

Then I worked on the battery mount. I fabbed up these brackets to hold the battery, but ended up unbending one of the bolted flanges.

The battery is now mounted under the passenger head light, but the only modification to the sheet metal in that area was to drill seven 1/4" holes and remove the protruding flange from the 1" diameter drain hole on the bottom side. In the first picture you can see that the battery easily clears the bottom of the 88 coupe fascia (notice the 2 bolt air ducting bracket on the other side of the battery).

The mounting bracket holds the battery firm in 3 directions and the batter hold down tab secures it in the 4th direction.

IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by neverendingproject:

Can't believe the 30th is over, on the bright side it's only 5 years till I miss the 35th.

Same here. When you coming back down this way?

neverendingproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

I always use a Miata battery when making my own small battery conversion. Less weight, real car battery, and real car battery warranty.

I looked this up and it's a good physical size and also AGM but only has 375 CCA, what kind of motors have you used it on?

I am running a Dyna-Batt battery with my LS4/F40 and it works great. The battery is mounted to the underside of the passenger head light bucket area and clears the 88 coupe fascia.

That's what I used under the spare on my TDC, just looking for something with a little more capacity this time.

Originally posted by IROCTAFIERO:

Same here. When you coming back down this way?

Actually this is all your fault. Last time I came down there a tire blew out in the middle of nowhere Montana on my way home. Now I can't cross the country without a spare
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can you fit your spare tire over it? What kind of box are you running? Can't believe the 30th is over, on the bright side it's only 5 years till I miss the 35th.

CAN I? Yes. Am I comfortable with it? No. Don't like those top mount posts that close to the wheel of the spare. I have a tray that was made by Whodeanie (same design as Archie and Norm). I can get you pics without a spare in the next day or so.

I consider this a mod of convenience. I would not buy this battery for this car...but it IS working.

[This message has been edited by CowsPatoot (edited 07-01-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I looked this up and it's a good physical size and also AGM but only has 375 CCA, what kind of motors have you used it on?

Tons of cars, WRX, STi, Evo, Skyline, Fiero v6, RX7...etc.
neverendingproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Civic battery isn't as small as I thought so I went with the Miata. I was able to modify the battery box so could keep my steering damper and fit the spare tire over everything with room to spare. As a bonus you can hook up the vent tubes to keep any gas from building up in the front compartment, not that it matters.

Here it is next to a Civic battery mockup.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Miata battery is where its at!
PFF
System Bot
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much does the Miata battery weigh?
neverendingproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

How much does the Miata battery weigh?

I just weighed it at 25 pounds making it about twice the weight and capacity of this thing I was running with my TDC

After working on the interior with the doors open for several hours it started right up which isn't something the little 16Ah battery could do.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock