Removing rear struts pre 88 by kendallville
Started on: 04-28-2013 12:34 AM
Replies: 51 (5029 views)
Last post by: Lou and Blue on 04-06-2014 09:38 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sin City Superhero:
Summit Racing has MOOG 5415 coil spring listed on eBay, that says that it's compatible, but when I called Summit to verify compatibility, they could not confirm. So I called the MOOG (Federal-Mogul) Auto Division., but it was after-hours for their Tech Department.

Does anybody know the part number for the rear coil springs for an '86 Fiero, or a different vehicle with the same spring?

Weird that Summit cant tell if its a stock replacement or not. I would wait and check with MOOG.

-

Amazon has Moog 5415 too but it says:
"•Use on General Motors products from 1972 - 1981
•Spring size: Inside Diameter 5.570", Bar Diameter 0.610", Installed Height 9.0"
•Load rating: 950 lbs.
•Pigtail ends
•All coil springs meet or exceed OEM (original equipment manufacturers) standards"

-

Advance autoparts apparently carries them:
http://shop.advanceautopart...-set-5415/20518919-p
"Fit of this part varies by vehicle & equipment specs "
IP: Logged
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

If you have access to air tools, changing out the springs is not bad. You will also need a spring compressor. I recommend spending the money and get a good one (looks like a big clamp). I have the smaller, cheaper bolt clamps. They work, but it is scary using them.

I have changed Fiero struts and struts on my Aztek. Aztek springs were under a lot if tension, vs Fiero.

A lot of the local parts stores now have a loan a tool program, you give them a deposit, usually about what it would cost to buy the tool, but when you are done and bring the tool back you get all your money back, provided that you haven't broken the tool. great deal for some people who will never use that tool again, me I usually buy them myself but I know I will eventually use it again so it really isn't a waste of money to me, but we have many members who are just plain broke.

if someone has already mentioned this already sorry. I didn't read the entire thread.

Originally posted by Patrick:

I use anti-seize on every nut and bolt I put back on my cars when I've dismantled something.

But I gotta wonder why automobile assembly plants don't apply a little anti-seize to potentially troublesome fasteners when the cars are originally being built. Yeah yeah, I know... it would increase the cost of each car by a couple of bucks.

Most times they use Loctite on bolts rather than antiseeze, just to prevent them from coming loose on their own. At least they did when I did certain jobs on the line back in the 70s and 80s.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-03-2014).]

Bulldog802

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bulldog802Send a Private Message to Bulldog802Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sin City, I'm taking off my springs right now for a coilover conversion. 86se v6. if those will work for you they are yours for shipping. Just let me know.
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be replacing my springs all around with eibach lowering springs and replacing the rear struts as well. My struts are so bad the car bottoms out over intersections. Can you please post the torque settings for reinstalling the struts? Front shocks were easy enough, and I bought KYB struts for the rear. I'm just waiting till the eibach springs arrive to do the rear struts as they get done at the same time. Ill be borrowing a spring compressor and a breaker bar from a local tool shop. I hope it goes well!
Any advice is appreciated. I'm looking to do a home alignment after instead of sending $$$ at an alignment shop, hopefully. Is an alignment 100% necessary after replacing rear struts?

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ag9123:

Here's the image of the K928 (top photo) vs. the K90476 :

IMO, the style shown below is superior to the above two bolts, but either style is better than not using an adjustment bolt at all.

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

This is the type of adjustment bolt you want. IMO this is superior to the type where the "cam" is on the bolt itself.

And this is where it goes on each strut. You simply turn the bottom bolt and the washer "cam" moves the strut.

Every Fiero should have these installed before a wheel alignment.

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who sells those bolts?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

Who sells those bolts?

Which ones?

The style I like are sold under different brands/part numbers, but listed at RockAuto is Raybestos 6161014 for $8.26 apiece.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-05-2014).]

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't the bolts that come out be reused? The stock bolts?

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

Can't the bolts that come out be reused? The stock bolts?

Sure.

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Which ones?

The style I like are sold under different brands/part numbers, but listed at RockAuto is Raybestos 6161014 for $8.26 apiece.

Yes, that one!

[This message has been edited by BrittB (edited 04-05-2014).]

Sin City Superhero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sin City SuperheroSend a Private Message to Sin City SuperheroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Bulldog. But I've decided to go with coilovers, also. With that said, I DID find OE replacement stock springs. TheFieroStore.com now reproduces them with stock springrates. But they run $350 a set. Since I've got 17' rims with 225mm wide tires, I'll go with a set of coilovers from West Coast Fiero, for better clearance. The cost is almost identical, and with coilovers the adjustability can't be beat.
PFF
System Bot
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sin City Superhero:

Thanks, Bulldog. But I've decided to go with coilovers, also. With that said, I DID find OE replacement stock springs. TheFieroStore.com now reproduces them with stock springrates. But they run $350 a set. Since I've got 17' rims with 225mm wide tires, I'll go with a set of coilovers from West Coast Fiero, for better clearance. The cost is almost identical, and with coilovers the adjustability can't be beat.

Wow $350? The eibach lowering springs I got were $246+ $22 tax

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic