Rear Wheel Bearings wont hold up?! by mitchjl22
Started on: 04-03-2013 01:07 AM
Replies: 38 (2879 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-21-2014 02:50 PM
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the original 115,000 mile rear wheel bearings on my Fiero and wish i never had. 1 was bad, but the other was fine and had no play and was clicking. I replaced both anyway... One of them snapped on the way to Richland washington, and the other had catastrophic failure later and was replaced before it was destroyed. I bought the Rock auto ~$15 hubs and replaced the bad one with the rock auto hub. I estimate 4-5k miles later its bad as well. Why wont the bearings hold up?! The first two I bought were from NAPA(one snapped off, and one was destroyed), the one that snapped was replaced with an Oreilley part. Its fine, the other NAPA hub was replaced with the Rock auto hub and its failing. Anyone have this many problems with this?

-Mitch

------------------
My Car
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes.

Most of the bearings that are economical are crap because they are made in China. They just don't hold up.

You want to find an American made bearing. Best quality is new old stock GM. I just purchased a new old stock GM bearing. Its brand new out of the GM box. It will most likely net some decent mileage. You should be able to get new old stock at a dealer or at gmpartsdirect.com. You will pay through the nose but it should last.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$86 from GM parts direct.

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:
I bought the Rock auto ~$15 hubs and replaced the bad one with the rock auto hub. I estimate 4-5k miles later its bad as well. Why wont the bearings hold up?!

I don't know what product line the NAPA or Oreilly hubs were, but the cheap hubs have a very bad reputation. I have Timkens on my Fiero and on my Explorer (the Explorer OEM hubs are Timken and lasted 205,000 miles, still worked fine).
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be sure to properly torque the axle nut to preload the bearing properly. If over or under torqued the bearing life will be reduced.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

I have Timkens on my Fiero and on my Explorer (the Explorer OEM hubs are Timken and lasted 205,000 miles, still worked fine).

Agreed. I've put Timkens an a bunch of cars and have had no problems, including a couple cars I've put an additional 200K miles on.

Like was suggested above, I'd take a critical look at how you're torquing the hub nut. 4 to 5 thousand is awfully soon for even a cheap hub to fail.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

I have Timkens on my Fiero and on my Explorer (the Explorer OEM hubs are Timken and lasted 205,000 miles, still worked fine).

I've never had trouble with a Timken bearing in.. really anything..
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I jumped in on the close-out of RockAuto rear bearings. Maybe I made a mistake...
imabuzzkill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imabuzzkillSend a Private Message to imabuzzkillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only use Timkens. The cheap ones are not worth the time!
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

I bought the Rock auto ~$15 hubs

I found your problem.

As you've found, you need to be EXTREMELY selective regarding the source for your hub cartridges.

Ditto on verifying proper axle nut torque.

Edit: 115K seems like low mileage for an OE bearing to go... do you motocross your car?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 04-03-2013).]

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I found your problem.

As you've found, you need to be EXTREMELY selective regarding the source for your hub cartridges.

Ditto on verifying proper axle nut torque.

Edit: 115K seems like low mileage for an OE bearing to go... do you motocross your car?

Just curious - Rockauto only shows National, Moog, Raybestos, Timken, and SKF bearings - all which generally have a decent reputation. Some are private-label closeouts. Would you stay away from any? Which ones are China bearings?

Normally I would trust a National, Moog, and (maybe) Raybestos. I know Timkens and SKF bearings are good.

PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All it takes is hitting a curb or something similar to ruin a bearing.

My '84 had a bearing go out with less than 100K. It would clunk, but not make any other noise.

Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think we did start a small record of the origin of some replacement parts, and I think the RockAuto wheel bearings were made in the USA. I can't remember the link, though.
Maybe it wasn't a bad purchase, after all, since I drive like a LOLFP (little old, etc).
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Torque axle nut matters. Likely More so on cheap hubs.
nut Torque has direct pressure on bearings inside.
See my Cave, Axle

In old posts, I thought rear hub was using Ball Bearing but wrong...
I took a dead one apart to see and found roller bearing, just bigger then front.

Before you ask, I didn't see anything major wrong but too cold to do a good inspection.

A guess is cheap unit has little bearings clearance or worse, preload them. OEM has some clearance, NO preload, same as front. (And why you get noise when turning if brake shield is a little bent.) Preload the front and you quickly fried the bearings.

Or they have lube/contamination problems... Hardness of metal... etc...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
I took a dead one apart to see and found roller bearing, just bigger then front.

Some have rollers, some have balls
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks.
I took apart a replacement unit. 513011K, Made in USA, distributed by Switch Inc, sold tru AdvanceAuto 10+ years ago. (I have the box w/ old good OE hub.)
I don't have any bad OE and I'm not taking a good unit apart.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To answer a few questions and address a comment,

I do autocross my car and that's what i believe partially killed my bearings.

This winter, I slid into a curb and severely damaged my passenger side rear wheel/lower control arm. The arm was bent badly and needed replaced, but the wheel bearing, to my extreme surprise, held up just fine. (The one from oreilley) I hit the curb so hard that the front end went completely over the curbing and was hanging over the top of a 6-7ft ditch. The rear wheel hit hard enough for the camber bolts I installed to knock out the adjustment tabs on the strut (Ruined my alignment obviously) I haven't had any problems with that wheel bearing since it was installed.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious about a couple of things. If you've rolled the car around after installing the hubs and before installing the axle shafts? This will quickly destroy the hub. What are the symptoms of bad hub bearings. One of my cars was used for drifting before I got it and though suspension parts have been replaced, sans hubs, it has a funky little twitch.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I took a dead one apart to see and found roller bearing ...

I took apart a replacement unit. 513011K ...
I don't have any bad OE and I'm not taking a good unit apart.

The one OEM rear hub I've disassembled had ball bearings, not rollers.

Edit: I just went out to the shop and shot this picture of a partially-disassembled OEM rear hub (inner race removed from stub shaft), clearly showing the ball bearings:

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 04-05-2013).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, GM was building their FWD cars as cheap as possible to be semi-disposable econoboxes. The ball bearings, especially with the integral races, were good for ~0.5 mpg over rollers, and cheaper, even though they are considerably more fragile.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 04-04-2013).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by fierofool:

If you've rolled the car around after installing the hubs and before installing the axle shafts? This will quickly destroy the hub. What are the symptoms of bad hub bearings.

Never put the vehicle's weight on the bearing before tightening the axle nut. The inner sleeve that sets the preload on the bearings is only a light press onto the spindle. The axle stub prevents it from backing off when loaded.

Bad hub bearings will have perceptible angular play (12-6 and 3-9 shake tests) and may make a growling or grinding noise.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:
The one OEM rear hub I've disassembled had ball bearings, not rollers.

Thanks.

This is my bad aftermarket hub.
Something causing binding on inner bearing. I don't see what... Outer race and rollers look ok w/ quick inspection. Roller cage looks iffy.

I bought 2 when I though Hub(s) were bad but really dust shield was bent.
I still have 1 in my car w/ no problems.
I used crank balancer puller w/ bolts/nuts to press out w/o adding more damage.
Careful prying inner seal to save it is ok.

Roller above, Looks that "preload" is set by metal ring that live between inner races. Axle holds all parts together.

Very easy to pull apart w/o axle in place, especially BB sets.
Does take more effort to damage roller setup but won't last w/o axle load in Towing etc...

Good OE Does have a little play. Shaking the wheel doesn't help to see hub is bad. My OE one has 210,000+ miles on it and hub always has a little play.
Any noise can hear/feel means trouble.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-09-2017).]

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think luck is on your side but you should post that part number up for that one.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tighten the axle nut as tight as I can with the car up, and then set it down for the torque so the wheel wont move.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011
[ Not Shown ] REAR SUSPENSION / REAR SUSPENSION / SUSPENSION COMPONENTS / REAR WHEEL BEARING
rear wheel bearing Fiero

MSRP Online Price
$165.90 $86.27

Thats all the information from GM parts direct.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:
This is the problem for dead hub I posted above.
After cleaning today, damage done for inner race and bearings for inside bearing. (Left one as shown above)
(I only crop and resize pictures below.)
Race damage

Bearing got warm (most Bearing turn uneven tan) and cage has some metal flakes.

Made in??
Edit> Bearings Made by www.koyousa.com but Hub is made in USA. (Switches Inc. LaGrange, IN)

I'm careful on torquing them... Was on low side of torque range per FSM. (See cave, axle)
Failed in <2 years.
I bought two... One is still on my car. That lasted ~90,000 miles so far.

Bearing was made bad, set any preload or the wrong preload, maybe over-torque axle nut, can to this kind of damage.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

I jumped in on the close-out of RockAuto rear bearings. Maybe I made a mistake...

Me too. I installed mine this summer and at the current rate of use 5,000 miles is about...5 years away. I kept the original bearings, so they can go back in if needed. My torque wrench doesn't read up to the required torque, so I gave it my best guess.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

I found your problem.

The Rock Auto hubs were Made in USA and supposedly were "white boxed" Moogs. If looks are indicative, I could believe they're Moogs as they appeared to be quality pieces.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:
The Rock Auto hubs were Made in USA and supposedly were "white boxed" Moogs. If looks are indicative, I could believe they're Moogs as they appeared to be quality pieces.

May not matter...
The Sad and Real fact is aftermarket hubs "Made in US" can still use Bearings made anywhere. "Made in US" just means x% of work is in US to meet US Customs rules.

So US made but you still take chances on the bearing inside. Everyone now use the lowest bidder to make parts.

If you have descent/good OE hubs then keep them. I did. The new one was bad and stores were close... Had to work next day. 90,000+ miles later, the OE hub is still in use. ~200,000 total.

Torque spec... Even SM is confusing.
Example, 87 SM re axle/hub nut...
Page 4D-2, Drive axle, Step 7 in Install list. "install washer and new hub nut and tighten to 250-285 Nm (183-208 lb.ft.)."
Page 3D-5, Rear Suspension... (short version)
New hub nut on axle shaft. Apply partial torque to new hub nut(approx. 100 N-rn) (74 Ib.ft.).
Install or Connect: Rotor. Caliper assembly. Wheel and tire.
Lower vehicle.
Tighten: Apply FINAL. torque at hub nut to 270 Nm (200 lb.ft.).

I went with page 4D-2 for final torque.
I have replaces axles etc with these specs. Only 1 AM hub went bad, no other work was done to it before it died.
(Yes, I copy/past most of this from my post in another thread...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-30-2013).]

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ogre,

Just wondering - due to roller - taper bearing in the Hub - could it be rebuilt with new bearings / races? - Just like rebuilding the front hubs/bearings on pre 88's?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the OEM rear wheel bearings in my Fiero started going bad a couple years ago, I replaced them with Moog units. So far, so good. (knock on wood)
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:
Ogre,
Just wondering - due to roller - taper bearing in the Hub - could it be rebuilt with new bearings / races? - Just like rebuilding the front hubs/bearings on pre 88's?

Bearing is available from bearing maker, see link above, but may not sell to you. (Your bearing might be different.)
If you find a vender sells small quantities of right size bearing... maybe. (I haven't seen 88 front rebuild option.)
1 problem is preload is set by spacers... If a spacer is a crush type, can be very hard to replace that.
If a new bearing race is a tiny bit thicker/thinner then spacers won't set preload right. (A bearing set w/o preload is still a setting to deal with.)
Bad Preload setup on a bearing is often quick dead to the hub. (84-87 Fiero front and others have no preload. Any preload can do same type of damage as hub above.)

Iffy preload maybe why I had dead hub.
Other possible causes...
One race w/ crap heat treat will means that bearing will fail.
Iffy lube job at factory will make them fail too.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-31-2013).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I popped my 165000 milers apart, cleaned and repacked them with synthetic hi-temp grease. Should be good to go for the rest of time.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OE hubs, see Rear wheel bearings "HOW TO" disassemble and repack with pics

If you service them, Remove most rust before you start then Clean everything.
And make sure bearing go back in same way.

Make sure you have good backup hub or 2 just in case...

Avoid hitting them. Use a harmonic balance puller w/ bolts/nuts. Get that from AZ loaner tools. (You add/buy only nuts.)

Note: Aftermarket hubs...
Take more force to take apart then OE hubs.
Stop caring when the old one had a dead bearing but....
Flange end bearing is very hard to remove w/o damaging the seal.
Flange seal could be hard to reinstall w/ bearing in place.
To service these, would need a press to reinstall the bearing.

(Edited 3 posts to fix images.)

paulcal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick question since I am getting ready to replace both of my rear axle bearing assemblies. Since you have to torque them up to preload them before you put the cars weight on them, how do you get 200ft/lb of torque on a nut with out the tire being on the car and on the ground to prevent the axle from turning?

------------------

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by paulcal:

Quick question since I am getting ready to replace both of my rear axle bearing assemblies. Since you have to torque them up to preload them before you put the cars weight on them, how do you get 200ft/lb of torque on a nut with out the tire being on the car and on the ground to prevent the axle from turning?

Technically, the FSM says to tighten the axle nut to partial torque of 74 ft / lbs with the wheel off the ground.
Lower car to the ground, final torque is 200 ft / lbs.

Normally, your supposed to use a new axle nut. But many have used the old nut without it backing off.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by paulcal:

... how do you get 200ft/lb of torque on a nut with out the tire being on the car and on the ground to prevent the axle from turning?

You can use a pry bar carefully engaging the hub center and studs, with its other end on the ground. You can slip short lengths of hose over the studs to protect the threads if you want, but you shouldn't really need to. I still think it's better to tighten the axle nut to ~75 ft-lb with the hub in the air, and then tighten fully to ~200 ft-lb with the tire on the ground. You won't damage anything by putting some weight on a partially tightened hub, as long as you don't try driving around that way.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 03-21-2014).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As Marvin described, I put a long crowbar through the wheel studs with the other end against the floor in the direction of rotation to keep the hub from spinning, then torque away.

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 03-21-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:
You can use a pry bar carefully engaging the hub center and studs, with its other end on the ground. I still think it's better to tighten the axle nut to ~75 ft-lb with the hub in the air, and then tighten fully to ~200 ft-lb with the tire on the ground. You won't damage anything by putting some weight on a partially tightened hub, as long as you don't try driving around that way.

VERY CAREFULLY. You can do damage to the lug threads or get hurt if whatever slips off etc.

Depending on wheel... most just take off center of wheel and mount wheel as normal then lower car and final torque axle nut then snap in the wheel center. If wheel center is hard to remove then use spare tire.

OE hubs does need some pressure to keep good. W/o that OE hubs are easy to loose parts or worse.
Aftermarket units are much harder to fail even rolling in the shop.
Moving any distance then both need some axle pressure. Doesn't need full torque to push or tow a little bit. Towing on highway then full torque. Loosing a wheel often causes very big problems. I keep "tools" made of old CV joints and used nuts for this job. Old CV won't make problem or need two wrenches like using bolts.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock