Started on: 06-27-2012 12:32 PM
Replies: 21 (984 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 07-06-2013 08:45 PM
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85GT 4speed 60,000 miles with a full tank of gas. drive straight runs great. turn left and runs great. Turn right and she wants to die. I was thinking in the tank but it is full. Any idea on this one????????

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 BMW 328 1984 Porsche 944

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your power distribution block in the engine bay. Only thing I can think of where the inertia can cause adverse effect on the performance of a car. Make sure your not slinging any wires into the water pump and causing something to ground out, also re seat your c500 and go from there.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check for frayed wires by the belts

What does the tach do when the engine wants to die?
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Check for frayed wires by the belts

What does the tach do when the engine wants to die?

tach still functions and the wires are good
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see.

Any chance you can hook a scanner to it and see if the functions of the ECM drop out during your turn?

I would think you are either dropping your ECM's proper operation, your ECM to injector wiring, or your fuel pressure. A fuel pressure gauge could give you a heads up on the third.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-27-2012).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just out of curiosity, does the fuel pump run for a couple seconds when you turn the key to the Run position? If not, then does the engine die when you disconnect the electrical plug from the oil pressure sender?

It's a long shot, but those symptoms would indicate that your fuel pump relay (or wiring) is bad, and your engine is losing oil pressure in right turns. The loss of oil pressure would suggest a problem with the oil pick-up tube.

Like I said, it's a long shot. But it's easy to check.
IFLYR22

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Just out of curiosity, does the fuel pump run for a couple seconds when you turn the key to the Run position? If not, then does the engine die when you disconnect the electrical plug from the oil pressure sender?

It's a long shot, but those symptoms would indicate that your fuel pump relay (or wiring) is bad, and your engine is losing oil pressure in right turns. The loss of oil pressure would suggest a problem with the oil pick-up tube.

Like I said, it's a long shot. But it's easy to check.

When I read the original post, this was the first thought I had... but the oil pump is on the left, and a right turn would put more oil on the left...

I am thinking there is a loose electrical connection that has to do with fuel pump or ignition.

-Dave
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One try that might eliminate the fuel pump is to jump power to the pump on the aldl and see if there is any difference. Would eliminate all but some wiring.
Also try wiggling the C500 wires and connector by the battery while its running to see if anything happens. Also the wires on the coil.
Is the battery locked down on the try?

How aggressive a turn does it take to show up?

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 06-27-2012).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Battery not clamped down tight and pulling on it's wires when it slides around? Something loose at the altenator? Oil pressure saftey switch got loose wiring?(you could bypass that one temporarily to see if it works)
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IFLYR22:

When I read the original post, this was the first thought I had... but the oil pump is on the left, and a right turn would put more oil on the left...

You're absolutely right. My mistake.

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happens if you turn the wheels right and back up?
Just reaching for straws, ok?

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

What happens if you turn the wheels right and back up?
Just reaching for straws, ok?

Spoon

Lots of good stuff here to try.

with the wheels as soon as you go straight again it gets back to full power.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about:

Broken motor mounts allow the engine to shift, relaxing the throttle cable.

fasttommy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fasttommySend a Private Message to fasttommyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maybe ingnition wiring in stering collom shorting out? I would look under dash first, then check switch? good luck with this one. I hate intermittent issues!!
if you just allways turn left you wont have any problems
Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay here's another angle.
With car running and not moving, give it some rpms and turn the wheels right. See If you notice any change in the rpms. If you do, than you can narrow it down to the steering system and any parts that move with it.
On the other hand if you don't notice any change then its back to something while the car is rolling.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
all very good ideas. It going to rain like crazy today so I have to wait till I get checking.
Fiero.1984

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your spark plug wires and make sure that they are not touching the exhaust manifold. I had it happen to my 1984 Fiero 2.5 and it ended up destroying my ECM. The first time it burned out a fusible link and a few days later it cooked the ECM. In both cases the car was taken to two different repair shops and neither found that the spark plug wire was bumping the exhaust manifold. Hope this helps you.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to play Jesus and resurrect the dead thread, but did you ever get it fixed?
KY87fierogt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2002z28ssconv:

Sorry to play Jesus and resurrect the dead thread, but did you ever get it fixed?

Yep,....now I'm intrigued!! I would have suggested putting it in the NASCAR circuit...no right turns required..JK

I hope you figured it out...let us know
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I sure did. It was happening do to the fuel pump not turning on. ITs strange. It will run when the pump does not turn on but the pressure was very low so the car would run great going forward. But take a turn and it would just die. I thought that the pump was very quite but it was just not on. When I jump the lead you can hear the fule pump spool up and no more issue. I did not think that it was the pump as the car started and ran but sure enough there was a dead pump till jumped and all ran.

Tom

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 BMW 328 1997 Explorer 4X4 XLT

FieroNews

PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that is a strange ending.

Spoon

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock