Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Audi A8 My Fiero (Page 18)

Printable Version

This topic is 52 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Audi A8 My Fiero by engine man
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:09 PM
Replies: 2041 (93751 views)
Last post by: engine man on 08-27-2019 09:51 AM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

i am using .083 wall not .060 and i don't know if you can see but i put another 1 x2 under the crossmember in the center to stiffen it up and i feel it is as strong if not stronger than stock but that is just my opinion

I hadn't noticed that extra 1x2 earlier... but it needs to extend another 2" on each side to get the best benefit out of being there.

Keep in mind that the stock rear cradle crossmember has a beam height of 4 inches or so, and what you currently have there has a beam height of only 2 inches. That's a HUGE factor in its bending stiffness.

The truss I drew above doesn't depend on bending stiffness at all, only tension/compression. (and it has a beam height of something like 16 inches)

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 11-11-2014).]

IP: Logged
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think i will tie that in better with some flat stock on each side so it will have better strength . if I remember right the stock crossmember went down to about a inch thick and about 4 inches wide but i could be wrong i will see in the morning where i cut the old one out how wide and tall it was but any way i am having fun i took it out for a drive today it ran all right but it needs tuning and i worked on the bad valve cover and repaid it i really cant wait for next summer to drive it all the time
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll know pretty quick if it's strong enough the first hard corner you take, but to me it looks like it should be a bit beefier. There are many different loads that cross member will see from suspension side load to engine torque. Don't forget about vertical load from the weight of the eng/trans as the car bounces up and down when driving. I'm from the "build it 10x stronger than it needs to be" school when it comes to that though. I used 2"x 4"x.125" and 2"x2"x .1875" square tubing for my cross members. I've driven the car hard over the last couple years and everything has held up perfectly. You've put a lot of work into this project and a cross member failure would do a lot damage, I'd hate to see that happen to you.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i could use some 1 1/2 roll cage tubing to go from side to side and i can have my friend bend it on the tubing bender at the shop and it will be something like Will has drawn
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
took it out for a ride today was fun even though it only has about half throttle it seemed to pull good i will fix the throttle issue by the weekend even after i get it fixed there really isn't any place to really beat on it with out getting a ticket
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i am going to change the fuel pump and do a few more things Saturday then i will put it up for winter I am so glad that i could take it for a drive and get a taste of what next season is going to be like
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fuel pump all changed and i re did the injectors so 1,3,6,8 are together and 2,4,5,7 are together this is supposed to give a more even fuel flow through the fuel rail

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 11-15-2014).]

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to get us some video of it running right? Maybe a quick drive by?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i don't think i will get a good video due to it needs to be driven and tuned with a wide band O2 and i don't have that O2 yet and we have been getting snow so i don't want to drive it and it is running so rich it fouls out plugs really fast but you never know i just might get the itch and buy the O2 and get it running good before a big snow storm

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 11-16-2014).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i could use some 1 1/2 roll cage tubing to go from side to side and i can have my friend bend it on the tubing bender at the shop and it will be something like Will has drawn

With the right design of the joints, there's no reason that brace can't be bolt-in.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drive by video on dirt running on all 8 but video sound quality bad
and still not tuned https://www.youtube.com/wat...a9U&feature=youtu.be
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thought i would post my expenses for everything so far

Engine 1998 Audi A8 with ECU and wiring harness $700
2000 VW Passat transaxle 012 $250
034 motor sports flywheel $450
Megasquirt 2 $450
porsche boxster shifter & cables $100
Porsche Boxster transmission shift linkage $75
Audi A8 wheel bearing $ 75
Audi A8 hubs $50
6 puck clutch $75
Machine work to rear knuckles for Audi A8 wheel bearings $350
Re-drill hubs to 5 x100 bolt pattern $150
exhaust $400
steel needed for mounts and rebuild cradle $100
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That thing sounds mean! Should sound even better when you have it tuned properly. Nice job!

I've been following for...ever, it seems. Wondered if you'd manage to finish before running out of patience. I'm glad you saw it through.

Oh and that's one good looking car. Love the paint color.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks Stubby79 it means allot to me that i built this i took it for a ride today she pulls pretty good but i had my dog with me so i didn't really beat on it and i am trying to tune it but for some reason now the laptop keep disconnecting from the megasquirt

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 11-23-2014).]

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad it's in drivable condition before putting it up for winter! Next season is going to be a blast once it's all situated.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes KaijuSenso i can't wait for next year to put some miles on i know i am going to have a blast
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on sticking with it and getting it running/driving! This is one of my favorite threads to check out when I get time, so great job getting it running!
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow, sounds really nice.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks it sounds better in person i will tell you it was worth every challange it is not as nice as some that put them together but i am proud of it
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i took the fiero for a ride today and i went home dropped the dog off and just tried it a bit there isn't much traction on a wet road and i still haven't put it to the floor
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
I feel like a kid on Christmas eve i haven't had this much fun since driving my dirt race car
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to thank all the guys that pushed me like Will , Kemp3 and the rest that gave me constructive criticism i want to thank guys like V8 Archie , Fieroguru ,Dark Horizon and all the others like them who inspire you to make your dream real like they have . i want to thank all the rest of the Forum even the ones that don't like me and said I couldn't do it or wouldn't do it .
Every one have a great Thanksgiving

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 11-26-2014).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My hopes on this engine swap is about the same performance as Will's N* i would like to see high 12's in the 1/4 mile and since now weight is centered and moved forward i am hoping it makes it handle just a bit better and the engine is a little heaver than a stock V6 350 vs 395

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 11-27-2014).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're welcome. It's good to see you get through it.

I was about 3100 race weight with 255 at the wheels and grabbed high 12's at 106. I weigh ~250 and the car was about 2850 or maybe a little lighter, as I had the spare tire, sunroof, etc. out.

The new Northstar's pushing about 312 to the wheels and trapped 112, so you may have to switch to the 360 HP S6 engine to match that.
I don't have a better ET yet, as I'm fighting wheel hop and blew up a CV joint.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
? Will are you running Catalytic converters my car is cat free so the exhaust has better flow so it should make more power than stock but i think it will only pick up maybe 20 to 30 HP when tuned right. stock hp is 295 for my engine wit 300 FT lbs torque so i might be able to squeeze 30 more hp bringing it up to 325 HP or i forgot the power steering is gone so that is a little bit and the AC pump is not there and i know they rate engine with every thing running .

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 11-28-2014).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thought i would share this video of a mostly stock Audi ABZ 4.2 engine like the 1 i have but the intake he is using is not stock and he is running a big turbo 7.05 1/4 and has run in the high 6's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ7pPtqtkjQ#t=101
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

? Will are you running Catalytic converters my car is cat free so the exhaust has better flow so it should make more power than stock but i think it will only pick up maybe 20 to 30 HP when tuned right. stock hp is 295 for my engine wit 300 FT lbs torque so i might be able to squeeze 30 more hp bringing it up to 325 HP or i forgot the power steering is gone so that is a little bit and the AC pump is not there and i know they rate engine with every thing running .

Yes, I do have catalysts. The shorter louder Fiero exhaust almost can't help but liberate some power.
295 at the crank should be 250-260 at the wheels with a lightweight flywheel and minimal accessories. The transmission you're using will consume a little more power than the 282 I'm using, due to the bevel ring and pinion.

With a 282 transmission, 312 at the wheels is in the 340ish range at the crank.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will what do you think your car will run when you get the wheel hop fixed mid to low 12's
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I can get as good a run out of my built engine as I did out of my first Northstar, it should be good for a 12.2 or so.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just found the 6 spd transmission i will replace the 5 speed if and when it breaks it is in a FWD Audi A4 code GVD this is built by getrag and it is strong in stock form and can be built to handle high out put such as 800 HP V8. oh ya there is a 6 spd automatic to that would be nice for those who want one

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 12-02-2014).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some people are addicted to drugs , alcohol ,gambling but I just am Addicted to HP i just cant get out of my head how to get a Eaton 122 blower on this engine and i don't even have it tunned but that is just the way i am i think i need more power and sure i could go with a turbo but it won't give the look i am going for or the whine of a blower so i hope by the end of next summer i will have a Blower setup from the 4.4 Cadillac N* on this

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 12-03-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn. Love the way that thing sounds. Nicely done!
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some people are addicted to drugs , alcohol ,gambling but I just am Addicted to HP i just cant get out of my head how to get a Eaton 122 blower on this engine and i don't even have it tunned but that is just the way i am i think i need more power and sure i could go with a turbo but it won't give the look i am going for or the whine of a blower so i hope by the end of next summer i will have a Blower setup from the 4.4 Cadillac N* on this

Still need to start with the AQH/AVP 360 horse version ;-)
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Taijiguy i do love the sound but it is a bit loud maybe some exhaust tips with resonators . Will that is a 40 valve engine and it would be nice but this engine will work with a Blower and should make it around the 500 HP mark with the right pulley and 13 psi of boost

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 12-03-2014).]

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the progress, I've been watching from the start, the Audi v8 is one of a few choices I'm thinking about for my widebody 308 project. Keep up the good work.
Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you would you be doing automatic or standard shift in either case i would start off with the trans out of a 05 A4 FWD they are both 6 spd and are much stronger than my 012 but at the time i dint know what car had this transmission and no one would or could tell me . i am not sure the 40 valve engine is worth the extra money for 10 hp more than the ABZ unless you are buying a S8 engine but then you are paying way more and a turbo on a ABZ is a much better deal as far as ecu i wish i had gone with VEMS as they do a plug & play for the ABZ so less wiring and way more support and money wise not really that much more then a megasquirt 3 so i hope you build 1 with the Audi i think you would be very happy with it i know i will once i have it tuned.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Cabin fever i just bought a powerdyne centrifugal supercharger it needs rebuilding but i can put this down low on the left and it is a bd11a it flows enough air for about 500 HP

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 12-10-2014).]

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now I HAVE to come check it out when I'm home on leave!
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope you come take a look but you need to wait for the snow to melt shes sitting out side just waiting for spring
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
since the powerdyne need rebuilding i am trying to find out how much flow increase the over sized billet impeller gives since i do need a new impeller the old one is missing but i only paid $100 for it so i can do a major rebuild and have like new or better
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 52 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock