Electronic Power Steering by canfirst
Started on: 05-10-2012 03:56 AM
Replies: 48 (6268 views)
Last post by: slow-poke on 11-03-2014 03:09 PM
a_bartle

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2012 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spoon,

Thanks for the photos and additional info, much appreciated! You did a great job, looks really nice, very professional. Yeah, I am surprised you mounted the unit in the trunk, did you consider the front spare tire compartment? I'd hate to "use up" any more of the limited trunk space if I put one of these in, but perhaps it wouldn't fit in the front? Anyway, nice job on yours, and thanks for sharing...

Art
IP: Logged
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thedrue:

I am very intrigued by that MR2 power steering unit. Very intrigued indeed. My question Spoon is why the trunk? There has to be room up front somewhere and that would really cut down on plumbing and things of course I have a battery in front so maybe electrical was a concern. I guess that by putting it in the trunk I see no reason to not try and adapt a mechanical pump to the engine instead.

Great idea however I like it a lot! Good work.

Why did I put the pump in the back? Glad you asked.

It's in a quieter location.
It will stay clean.
When checking engine fluids, its right there with the rest of the needy.
Notice those 3 clips with all those wires? All my electrical connections are in the engine compartment including relays.
I felt it was a lot easier to run 2 hoses to the front than all those wires to the rear.

Another reason for in the back.. Since the pump is hot with key on, I didn't want it to be running unless the engine was running. So I added an adjustable pressure switch and tee'd into the oil pressure sender. So it only runs when there is oil pressure.

Wait there's more !!.. If I ever swap in a LS6 engine all I have to do is connect the hoses to the pump.

By the way those pumps are selling on ebay for around 300 bucks and up. Some without the clips.
Think I paid around 275 before they started getting hot.

Another issue is the Fluid. The fluid designed for this pump is very expensive at $45 a liter and it took 1-1/2 liters to fill the system, hoses rack and all.
Most Toyoto dealers never even heard of it. I had them order it for me. Better than risking a $300 pump.

I'll gladly answer any questions.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 05-17-2012).]

slow-poke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slow-pokeSend a Private Message to slow-pokeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently installed electric power steering in a 1966 Mustang. I did not use a kit, I simply pulled a column style EPS from a newer GM vehicle and then spliced the unit into the original steering column.

The results far exceeded my expectations and the cost was less than $200. I designed a controller that automatically adjusts assist level based on vehicle speed, so that the steering feel is "just right" regardless of speed.

I documented (with pictures) how I went about this on a Vintage Mustang forum. If anyone is interested do a google search for "Best $200 mod ever (EPS)"

or

follow this link to page 7 where the details start:
[url=http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/787114-best-200-mod-ever-eps-7.html#post6037649[/url]..

Any questions just ask.

BTW, I have Fiero seats in my 66, great seats I have had many compliments.
------------------
slow-poke
66 Mustang 408c.i. 550hp
10.x through the mufflers

[This message has been edited by slow-poke (edited 11-02-2014).]

steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did see Spoon's car a Carlisle. The power steering install was super clean as was the electronic cruise control and the fire suppression system. First class work.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the electronics are still functional I plan to install a factory EHPS unit on one of my 88 Meras. I acquired one of the experimental units a few years ago and it will be interesting to see how it feels and whether it was worth the effort. If nothing else this might be the only factory EHPS actually installed and functional on a Fiero so there is some potential for at least a novelty effect.

Nelson
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slow-poke:

I recently installed electric power steering in a 1966 Mustang. I did not use a kit, I simply pulled a column style EPS from a newer GM vehicle and then spliced the unit into the original steering column.

The results far exceeded my expectations and the cost was less than $200. I designed a controller that automatically adjusts assist level based on vehicle speed, so that the steering feel is "just right" regardless of speed.

I documented (with pictures) how I went about this on a Vintage Mustang forum. If anyone is interested do a google search for "Best $200 mod ever (EPS)"

or

follow this link to page 7 where the details start:
[url=http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/787114-best-200-mod-ever-eps-7.html#post6037649[/url]..

Any questions just ask.

BTW, I have Fiero seats in my 66, great seats I have had many compliments.

Can you put that stuff somewhere we can see it without signing up?

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-03-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Can you put that stuff somewhere we can see it without signing up?

Might be more info in //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091197.html

Also WCF sells a kit for Fieros: http://westcoastfiero.com/p.../power_steering.html

Not quite $200, but it uses the stock Fiero column and wheel, if you don't want to swap to a column for a totally different car.

You can certainly do it much cheaper by buying a use column from a newer car and swapping the steering wheel, and all that as well. You can also get a lot of additional features on the column and wheel that way as well. You can probably use the Honda S2000/NSX power steering control unit to control the motor on the column as well, instead of trying to build you're own unit.

I'm going to try and use the S2000 steering rack in my car, as it has the motor in line with the steering rack, rather than on the column. I prefer that design as the power is applied directly in line with the rack that is moving the wheels, and it also has a better ratio, as well as having a dynamic ratio. Another rack option might also be the one in the Tesla. It has motor on the rack as well, though not the same design as the S2000/NSX rack. Not sure if it will fit any better than the S2000/NSX rack either. A lot of other newer cars also have racks with the motor on the rack, but I don't know if any are usable on the Fiero.
a_bartle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Can you put that stuff somewhere we can see it without signing up?"

I second that request...

slow-poke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slow-pokeSend a Private Message to slow-pokeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Registration is free and there are a lot of pictures and comments from others, too much to repost.

If you have specific questions I can answer.

------------------
slow-poke
66 Mustang 408c.i. 550hp
10.x through the mufflers

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors