Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  testing the waters on custom built headers and y pipes.. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
testing the waters on custom built headers and y pipes.. by 86 toy
Started on: 05-02-2012 08:12 AM
Replies: 72 (3781 views)
Last post by: 1fast2m4 on 01-05-2014 07:28 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86 toy:
thanks for everyones interest in my product i will do my best to make a quality header that FITS right the first time

As you may have gathered from my first post, I was all prepared to be indifferent at best, when I first saw your thread. (Didn't help that I was posting from work and was quite busy at the time.)
We have a fair number of dreamers and wannabes who post pie-in-the-sky ideas that never seem to work out for them. Cynicism comes easily.

With that said....
It certainly looks like you do some really nice work. Very pleasant to look at, at the least. I wish you luck in your endeavors.
If I ever find myself in the market, I will give you some major consideration.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-21-2012).]

IP: Logged
ZaraSpOOk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaraSpOOkSend a Private Message to ZaraSpOOkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I really commend any guy who is willing to take on making headers for fellow enthusiasts.

It is hard to make even a respectable amount for your time doing this on a custom basis. So, please accept these observations as constructive criticism.

I'm wondering what you think of the ones you made
reference thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121026.html
86 toy

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a little update as to where I stand with the start of building headers.. as of Thursday I was laid off from my job so i took the extra money i had saved and bought myself a tig machine so i can weld them up in my garage and not have to take them to work and weld them like I had planned before.. the welder is scheduled to arrive next Monday so in the meantime I will be setting up my mock up engine and cradle.. I will make a thread in the mall when i am ready to start taking orders..
Thanks

------------------
--Mark--
Yellow 88 GT 5speed
87 GT 3400 swap project

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any news?? Is this project real??

86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the project is real the problem is I havnt had time to work on anything.. I'm hoping to get back to it now that summer is winding dowb
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to get a price quote (not including shipping) for a set of 3500 headers.
I will have Air Conditioning on the engine so the lines need to clear without melting
It would be mated to a 5-speed manual getrag just like yours.

PM me when you have time. THANKS!!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know, I was just thinking how nice it would be for someone to make 3x00 headers for the Fiero. But I realize it's a small niche to fill.

That said, I will be in the market for some 3400 headers in the near future. So please keep us updated.
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$400 for a set of headers sounds like a great deal if they are anything like the ones you posted a picture of.

I wonder how much HP they would free up, compared to the stock logs? (Mine is a stock 2.8)
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I gotta say, those custom headers are very nice looking and well built. Headers and the Y pipe for
2.8s, 3.4s, and even 3.8S/C swaps would be nice.

I guess TFS would have competition, and maybe West Coast fieros...(if they can at least ship their parts that
we think they have ready to go.)

Yes the project is real the problem is I havnt had time to work on anything.. I'm hoping to get back to it now that summer is winding dowb

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to be taken seriously as a vendor, you need to start cranking out some parts pretty soon and list them for sale.... There have been too many flaky vendors here who disappear like the morning mist once the time comes to actually make parts.

I and several others are in the market for headers. Are you going to make them?

86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still here.. not going anywhere.. the thing is when I get to work on these it will be in my spare time.. I work 48 hours a week and have a family at home.. right now things have been very busy for me and I haven't had a lot of free time to put into this.. I assure you that I soon will be moving forward with this project..

------------------
--Mark--
Yellow 88 GT 3400 5speed

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, plans have changed. Instead of 3400 headers, I will be needing headers for a pushrod 3.4 V6. When you're ready and available to build them, please let me know.
86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

OK, plans have changed. Instead of 3400 headers, I will be needing headers for a pushrod 3.4 V6. When you're ready and available to build them, please let me know.

OK sounds good...
Duck Hunter 117

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Duck Hunter 117Send a Private Message to Duck Hunter 117Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also put me down as very interested in a set of 3.4 headers.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2012 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just re-read my previous post, and realized I may have come across as being pushy. That wasn't my intention. Sorry about that.

I do understand that you need to make a living. The headers will probably just be a sideline project. And I respect that. (I've been there, too) But if you do decide to make headers to fit the 2.8 / 3.1 / 3.4 iron head engines, I would be interested... especially if you could make it from stainless steel.

I currently have the Trueleo headers. I love them, but they're rusting out. The wet Florida weather is really taking its toll. They may not last much longer.
fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this guy still going to make the headers, he said I would be first in line to try them. I really need a good set of headers.
86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I need is time!! Sorry to keep you waiting

------------------
--Mark--
Yellow 88 GT 3400 5speed

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully this is real. The initial post was over 6 months ago.... I have been ready with money in hand for months to make a decision on an exhaust.
Tindritus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TindritusSend a Private Message to TindritusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, couldnt wait. Had to have so i bought me Trueleo headers inst.
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2013 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2013 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be vey interested if you could replicate the header system used on the "Taiwan Fiero" the pipes various cylinders were rerouted in a way that gave the 2.8/3.4 PR motor a very exotic sound. Do a search on Taiwan exhaust or Taiwan Fiero to hear this system. If you can do it, I would purchase a set of these.

http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/...ner/article?mid=9902

This is a link to pictures and audio. The article is in Chinese but if you have a translate feature you can make out some of what is being said.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 02-16-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2013 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2013 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent
tgmchuck

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tgmchuckSend a Private Message to tgmchuckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2013 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Up and running!!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/066447.html

I'm sure that there is a market for headers fabricated for the 3800SC but according to ZZ performance they must use
1 3/4" primary tubes and exit the Y pipe to the exhaust at 3". The around the back routing is the way to go with these.
As for Y pipes there is a ready market for these as well as many 3800SC and 4.9L swaps really need around the back routing to allow a longer exhaust that will get them quiet enough to be street legal (in many locations) and to make the cars easier on the ears while driving. IMO there might also be a need for a better Y pipe for the 3.4l p/r swap and stock 2.8L's but the Fiero Store already offers an improved Y pipe design.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a little update.. I am currently working on designing an equal length header for the 3800.. I'll post some pics of my work later.. I'm just throwing some scrap bends to a stock manifold flange to get an idea if it will work or not..
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you go with 1.75 primaries and 3" dump? Also, is it possible to fit an A/C line?
86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
spent today doing a little r&d and this is what i came up with. this is by far a finished product its just to get an idea of how i will build these.. I was shooting for equal length primaries but they would be way to complicated to produce i got them close but not equal so we will call these long tube headers..
rear header

front header

let me know what you guys think

------------------
--Mark--
Yellow 88 GT 3400 5speed

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work

All of a sudden I'm interested in a set for my 3800SC... although I have the F23 manual.. if you can make the crossover not interfere with the shift cables that would be awesome! I also would prefer not to cut my trunk.

PFF
System Bot
86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Nice work

All of a sudden I'm interested in a set for my 3800SC... although I have the F23 manual.. if you can make the crossover not interfere with the shift cables that would be awesome! I also would prefer not to cut my trunk.

Thanks.. can you send me a pic or 2 of your shifter cables so I have an idea where they are..

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

spent today doing a little r&d and this is what i came up with. this is by far a finished product its just to get an idea of how i will build these.. I was shooting for equal length primaries but they would be way to complicated to produce i got them close but not equal so we will call these long tube headers..
rear header

front header

let me know what you guys think

I really like those, I'm doing a HX-40 turbo on my 3800 I would be very interested in exactly what you have pictured there in mild steel, finish welded, with the collectors and V-band flanges (no X-over)

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 01-05-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock