Table for Testing the Power Mirror Switch by GraterFang
Started on: 04-01-2012 07:00 PM
Replies: 11 (1124 views)
Last post by: theogre on 08-31-2020 07:51 PM
GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put this together and figured I would share it with the forum in case it might help somebody.

[This message has been edited by GraterFang (edited 04-01-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GraterFang

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had quite a few power mirror switches that have worked for only one side or sometimes even a certain direction will work intermittently. In fixing this fairly common problem, I've found that the problem is not always bad corrosion but sometimes loose posts (often E, F, G, and H). Its easy to test this without even taking the switch all the way apart by attempting to wiggle the posts on the back of the switch. I've had quite a few switches where all four posts were loose. A small bit of solder correctly applied while holding the post in position will fix the problem. The contacts should be cleaned though as corrosion can be a concern.

[This message has been edited by GraterFang (edited 04-01-2012).]

jrr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jrrSend a Private Message to jrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To Greter Fang - Great table thank you! Any chance you know how to wire the switch to the harness? I have one red, one lt Blue and 2 Yellow (4 total) on each side from the electric mirror. How do I wire it to the switch? Thank you
jrr4948@optonline.net

------------------

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a search and found this thread, but the link is no longer working. Was hoping someone could re-post the info, as I need to do this testing on the Power Mirror Switch.

Thanks

------------------
'87 GT in process!

1986 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What link? You mean the picture in the first post? Shows up for me...
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, can't see the picture. All I see is the little picture square. Tried opening the image in a new window with no luck. Pilot error? Or something to do with my Browser (Chrome)?

------------------
'87 GT in process!

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try Again.....

darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Worked for me now. Appreciate it
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

darbysan

949 posts
Member since Oct 2014
Worked perfectly. Didn't have a switch ( removed by PO), but this allowed me to test the connector and mirrors ( Just had to reverse the letters). In fact, the connector had the letters molded into the surface- easy as pie. Both mirrors worked!.
Alan Stockholm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2020 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alan StockholmSend a Private Message to Alan StockholmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you now it the swith is used on any other car?
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2020 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A similar switch is used on Camaro's ( 82-89, mounted in the instrument panel). The insides of the switch are the same, but the mounting ears are different. You can make it work by gluing it in, but it's not as good as finding a Fiero switch.

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering. (SOLD)

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2020 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easiest way to bench test these is to put a small battery, say 9v w/ battery connector from dead whatever, tied to main + (A) and - (B).
Then connect light bulb or meter to motor's output and push a button for output tested.
Get cheap jumper wire kit will help a lot.

Still in the car then just back probe the connector w/ test light or meter.

Leave meter alone for each output, just make sure volt read same ignoring - sign.

Sometimes reverse switch setup has a crap contact and no or low volt for one direction.
(Fiero PM direction is basically a smaller switch for PW switch and can have same problem.)

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock