Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  1227165 ecu with custom code much better than stock ecu. (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
1227165 ecu with custom code much better than stock ecu. by chetw77cruiser
Started on: 10-16-2011 09:57 PM
Replies: 257 (15539 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 10-28-2023 11:31 AM
chetw77cruiser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What engine are we looking at? Meeting those criteria is likely going to need and OBDII style PCM. If SFI is not needed, the 16197427 can be setup do work the way you want and still is OBDI and uses an EPROM. The code for this PCM is capable of PFI and wideband O2. It has even been hacked to allow the use of a MAF sensor for tuning if so desired. I have not got into OBDII much, so I am no help in that arena. Phonedawgz or others could point you in the right direction.
IP: Logged
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chet - PM sent.

-Tony
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<bump> for Chet
chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just completed a 600 mile round trip this weekend using the 1227165 code/NVRAM. This was mostly mountain driving, up to and including Vail Pass to Grand Junction in Colorado. I averaged about 30+ MPG. There was nothing special with the tune and there was the several hours of idling and stop n’ go when Interstate 70 was closed due to a mudslide near Parachute. No special tuning, no lean fueling mode, and very little showing off for the audi's and bimmers. Lowest MPG I attained was 25, highest was 38. Not bad for an 86 SE with 4 speed at an average of 72 MPH most of the trip. Good fuel economy and still enough power to pull all but the steepest sections of highway in high gear.

If you can't have fun, what good is it?!
LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just received mines, can't wait to get it install! Thanks Chet!
LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I'm stuck...How do you get these fricken pins out of the connector? Do I need a special tool?
cerulean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ceruleanSend a Private Message to ceruleanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LeeR:

Okay, I'm stuck...How do you get these fricken pins out of the connector? Do I need a special tool?

There is a special tool, but I just use a straightened-out paper clip. Push the lead into the connector from the back, push the paperclip in the hole (above the hole where the ecu pin goes in), and then pull the lead out. It might take a couple of tries before you get the hang of pushing back the lead's locking tab with the paper clip.
LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awsome, Thank you!!!
chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use a jewelers screw driver.
Daviero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chet - what WB O2 sensor and controller are you using. Been shopping for one and am not sure what to buy. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

this is what I found so far from Moates.net: the LC-1

Edit: found them on sale here $50 less at Tuner Tools

[This message has been edited by Daviero (edited 11-11-2013).]

chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That one will work fine.
PFF
System Bot
Daviero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for a (1997-ish) Northstar stock timing map to use as a base in the 7165 $12P code.
I don't want to use the $A1 map from the 7730 I am replacing with Chet's 7165 idea - I don't know that the $A1 map is right.
Anyone?
Daviero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chetw77cruiser:

The 7165 will also do 8192 baud as long as a 10k resistor is used between aldl pin A and B.

Chet - a few clarifications and questions....

A 10K resistor between aldl pins A and B enables 8192 baud rate? This is not mentioned in the write-up that came with the NVRAM board or in notes by VL400 on PCM Hacking.net and is easily missed in your notes - please confirm this is right.

The knock filter on the original pcm memcal is used by the MVRAM board if no solder-on knock filter is installed?

When burning a tuned bin on the memcal for "limp-home" does the file have to be offset?

Where in the OSE12P code do you enable / disable the VE learn and alter the rate of learn? I see the the VE learn parameters but do you know of some write-up that will take the guessing out of how each learn parameter influences the learn function? ( I have copies of the Basic Tuning and Advanced Tuning of 12P ECM's but VE-learn is not covered in either document)

If the same bin is burned on the original memcal as is on the NVRAM, how do you know you are on "limp" mode? Does this condition register an error code?

I have my OSE12P bin revised enough now that I think it will suit the Northstar and I will install it in the new year - I am really looking forward to how it will work.

------------------
Daviero - 88 N* GT

chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the delay, I have been busy lately.

Originally posted by Daviero:
A 10K resistor between aldl pins A and B enables 8192 baud rate? This is not mentioned in the write-up that came with the NVRAM board or in notes by VL400 on PCM Hacking.net and is easily missed in your notes - please confirm this is right.

I have run this with and without the 10k with the same results. The code is hardcoded for 8192.

The knock filter on the original pcm memcal is used by the MVRAM board if no solder-on knock filter is installed?

Correct, if the memcal is in place and has an appropriate knock filter. I will have to dig through my notes about the input pin for the knock sensor. It is a different pin than the stock 1227165 which uses an external knock filter.

When burning a tuned bin on the memcal for "limp-home" does the file have to be offset?

If you are using a 27SF512, offsets are needed. If using tunerpro to burn through something like an autoprom, the offset should be taken care of automatically. If not, ofsett the file to the last half of the chip. 8000 to FFFF should work with the 512 style chips.

Where in the OSE12P code do you enable / disable the VE learn and alter the rate of learn? I see the the VE learn parameters but do you know of some write-up that will take the guessing out of how each learn parameter influences the learn function? ( I have copies of the Basic Tuning and Advanced Tuning of 12P ECM's but VE-learn is not covered in either document)

The enable bits are in the Flag section of the bin definition. There are a couple for each of the MAP A/B. One is for wideband and the other is for narrowband. As for the other settings, there is some discussion on the pcmhacking forum, but I just played with them till I got to a point that worked for me. I do not use the learn function much at all because I tune differently, a bit more hands on so to speak.

If the same bin is burned on the original memcal as is on the NVRAM, how do you know you are on "limp" mode? Does this condition register an error code?

The size of the code is larger than most of the memcal eproms gm used, so make sure it is 32K vs 16K (27c256 vs 27c128). Limp home will set the ses light and the engine will usually run, but not very well. If a code is set, it is usually a code 51.
Smooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SmoothSend a Private Message to SmoothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any chance of you offering a pre-programmed chip/memcal?
Somewhat computer illiterate.
I would like to enhance my 88 GT's 5 speed MPG, maybe add lean cruise.
Kerry
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just want to update/revise a comment I made about this back in 2012:

Originally posted by armos:
I've been reading this
http://californiasmoginstit...Check_Procedures.pdf

and I found some good news and bad news.
Good news is, from what I can tell, in CA they don't connect to the ECM unless the car is OBD-2. They just look at the check engine light.
Bad news is, for those of us who only have an idle test, the inspector is instructed to separately test the EGR system using "procedure prescribed by the vehicle manufacturer." I don't know what data they have on that, or if they really follow through with it, but the test procedure in the 1986 service manual would catch an EGR that simply doesn't operate.
It's a little weird to me and hard to believe that they do this.. if they're going to all that trouble to function test the EGR, it seems it would be simpler to just do the dyno test like the city dwellers get.
I expect in most states the EGR wouldn't be directly tested, just the tailpipe, so for them this wouldn't be a problem.

Since that time, I've passed an idle emissions test with the EGR electronically non-functional. It would appear the inspector does the quick and simple test - open the valve by hand to see if it causes the engine to stumble. If that happens then they infer the system is working.
This is only relevant to people who don't have to take the rolling dyno test.

I'd be surprised if the inspectors in any state actually connect to the ECM on an OBD-1 model, but I guess it's possible. California doesn't do this, they only connect if it's OBD-2. So on an OBD-1 car they won't know what ECM is installed.

For people in rural California (and maybe other states) who are only subject to an idling test, one could almost use this ECM swap except for just one issue. Checking the ignition timing. The inspector will check to see if the ignition base timing is at 10 degrees. So the ECM needs to behave as expected when the A-B terminals are shorted. From what I've read, the 7165 does not react to the A-B terminals in the same way. 7165 requires you to disconnect a connector, which isn't what the inspector will be expecting on this model vehicle.
I don't know how much demand there would be for this, or how difficult it would be, but I wonder if it would be feasible to copy the A-B behavior from the 7170 or other similar ECM. That way vehicles that came factory with the A-B feature could keep it working while using this swap.
gtjoe

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjoeSend a Private Message to gtjoeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im have no idea if this could be accomplised via ecm programing, but with a normally closed relay and a little creative wiring Im sure it could be accomplished

For people in rural California (and maybe other states) who are only subject to an idling test, one could almost use this ECM swap except for just one issue. Checking the ignition timing. The inspector will check to see if the ignition base timing is at 10 degrees. So the ECM needs to behave as expected when the A-B terminals are shorted. From what I've read, the 7165 does not react to the A-B terminals in the same way. 7165 requires you to disconnect a connector, which isn't what the inspector will be expecting on this model vehicle.
I don't know how much demand there would be for this, or how difficult it would be, but I wonder if it would be feasible to copy the A-B behavior from the 7170 or other similar ECM. That way vehicles that came factory with the A-B feature could keep it working while using this swap.

chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2013 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Smooth:

Any chance of you offering a pre-programmed chip/memcal?
Somewhat computer illiterate.
I would like to enhance my 88 GT's 5 speed MPG, maybe add lean cruise.
Kerry

I can program chips and install into memcals compatible with this setup, but it will not be optimal for your vehicle. I have few modifications on my engine and then some. For the lean cruise, there are two fueling maps available at the flip of a switch enabling switching between MPG and normal or performance settings.

chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

chetw77cruiser

429 posts
Member since Aug 2009

The ecm does sets the ignition to a fixed advance when in test mode. Let do a little research on this and I will get back to you.

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can ajust the IAC but you have to use very small increments of ajustments ,, you can use thinner or thicker gasket,,you can sand down the gasket ,or use thinner which is the better option,, you need a new G.M. delco pick up coil to get best results 50/50 chance Pick up coil will improve idle
it seems you need karnac,or proper magic kharma to get the proper Idle
if you have one of the Brown ,(name Brand) IAC ,some of them are not up to snuff/specs,, they were sold by Advance auto parts a few years back
LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another satisfied customer!!

I recieved my set-up from Chet a few months ago and finally decided to install it. My car hasn't run for years and this was my final step to get her started. It worked like a charm, and Chet was really easy to work with!

Just wanted to to let you guys know!
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my ECM and NVram from Chet back in the fall, but then winter hit - been hibernating.

Chet - I'm looking at installing this on weekend of April 19-20 (check your email).

With this setup, a knock sensor and wide-band O2 I should be able to:

Control a 1, 2, or 3 bar system.
Control a distributor or DIS system.
Use a knock sensor with controller or an internal knock filter like the 7730/7749.
Full use of wide-band sensor inputs, not just display lambda/A/F ratio.
Full self learn using wide-band as well as narrow-band O2 sensor, even both if so desired.
Can control EGR but is not native to the code, will need to use one of the four user configurable outputs.
Tuning is done real-time using nothing but the ALDL port and Tunerpro RT.
Same goes for flashing a new tune to the controller, no need to remove the ECU for an update to the code.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know where Chet has gotten to these days??
I've haven't been successful with PM or emails the last 2 weeks.....
I had his phone number and talked with him last fall, but seem to have misplaced it.

I've just gotten around to installing the 7165 ECM w/NVRAM and custom BIN that he put together for me.
I was very careful with the wiring as he outlined in the spread sheet he sent me.

I got it all connected and hit the key to crank it up. Lots of gas but no spark at all!

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-21-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15144 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Vehicle List for the 1227165 ECM
http://parts-catalog.acdelc...g=2428&parttype=2514

Here's how the ECMs compare when stacked up.
You can see how all 3 use the exact same connectors.

1227165 - what I installed (top one)
1227170 - 87 ECM from my GT (BIN reprogrammed for S/C)
1226869 - 85 ECM w/custom programmed BIN I had been running (S/C with knock sensor)

Here's the 1227165 next to the 1227730.
You can see the rewiring that would be involved in the 7730 ECM swap.
I had planned doing a 7730 swap but was stymied by all that rewiring.

Here's the guts of the 1227165 with NVRAM installed - this makes it real-time programmable.
The 7165 has the same processing power of the 7730 with a lot less rewiring to install it.

Wires relocated - D13>A11, A11>C12, D12>D2, B4>D4
joined together - C11/C12, D14/D15, C15/D16, D10/A12 (ground)
new added - B7 (knock), D8 (WBO2)
Only wire left disconnected is for the EGR on D8 (reused location for WB02).
EGR is non-functional now in the $12P bin.

Just a jumper added on the back of the MB

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-24-2014).]

chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still here, just have projects of my own keeping me busy. I have not received and new PM's or email messages so not sure what is going on there. I do have your number and will give a call today sometime.

Chet.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Still here, just have projects of my own keeping me busy. I have not received and new PM's or email messages so not sure what is going on there. I do have your number and will give a call today sometime.

Chet.

Good to know you didn't fall off the face of the earth

Looking over the code right now. Wondering if ignition is set for DIS instead of distributor or something similar wrong.

Chat later.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, we can't get the 7165 ECM to flash any "Check Engine" error codes or communicate through the ALDL with any programs.
The ECM will run the fuel pump at "key on" so the ECM IS getting power and I guess it's not completely dead.

I think either the NVRAM board has a problem, or the jumpers on it aren't set right. Looking for documentation right now...
This thing replaces the stock memcal that the ECM would have originally come with. (this is picture of earlier version)

It looks like you can install the original memcal as well. Not really sure what the purpose of that would be.
I've tried this board with and without the memcal. The ECM still doesn't respond to anything.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-21-2014).]

chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Based on the information you have been providing, there is a good chance the NVRAM is at fault. I have been having issues with the new batch of nvram boards loosing their data. I have one in my car and ran into the same problem upon initial install. The NVRAM chip does ave a battery internal that has a finite lifespan, but this is to short of a time to be a dead battery I do have a different NVram board that works but without the setting jumpers. It is set up strictly for use in a V6 application and does not have the header for the memcal. It does have a battery that can be replaced.

The memcal installs on the side pins of the NVram board to provide the redundant fueling calibration. Basically this is the limp home mode.

We will get this working.
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had been considering doing the 7730 swap, but from I've read here now I 'm not so sure! I have acquired two 7730's for the swaap. Now I'm considering a 165 swap. Particularly so with fewer wire changes required.

The big question, who among you have actually done this conversion and what results have you had?

Who do I Ned to contact or what is needed to do this conversion?
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cajun

1553 posts
Member since Dec 2003
Chet,

My bad, guess I should be communicating with you to get this swap in progress!
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cajun

1553 posts
Member since Dec 2003
Chet,

My bad, guess I should be communicating with you to get this swap in progress!
PFF
System Bot
chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Other than the issue Fierosound has, the others that I have helped or worked on are running. Sound's issue is one I unwittingly caused when compiling the code for his project. Data is not of much use without the operating system to use said data. I have a new chip ready to send out for him. I am having issues with my swap, but this is ECU problems and has nothing to do with the NVRAM or the code. Some re-manufactured computers are not as "tested" as the originals were. I need to track down a cold solder joint somewhere.

If interested, PM me an I will help where I can.

Chet
ranger stone

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-24-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ranger stoneSend a Private Message to ranger stoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you ,thank you for bringing this up..I want to get input on which is best, chet77 or darth vader for the ECM modifications
& actual use
please post your actual experience with Idle , performance & MPG I got no answer from my first inquery
I am leaning towards chet77 but want the information from fiero forum users on their actual experience
with Darth fiero ECM modification also
chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ranger stone:

Thank you ,thank you for bringing this up..I want to get input on which is best, chet77 or darth vader for the ECM modifications
& actual use
please post your actual experience with Idle , performance & MPG I got no answer from my first inquery
I am leaning towards chet77 but want the information from fiero forum users on their actual experience
with Darth fiero ECM modification also

I have used both the 7730 and the 7165, although I used the $8D code in the 7730, not the $88 code that most are using. Overall both are fairly even performance wise between the two when tuned correctly. The 7730 is matched well to the 2.8 out of the box as it was used with the 2.8 in other applications. The 7165 has needed significant tuning to match the 2.8, but nothing a competent tuner couldn't do. I have my tune working great but need to tune the high load range a bit more, still running a bit rich. Fuel economy was evenly matched, but the 7165 with the correct settings was able to achieve over 40 MPG. The caveat though is that this was with air-fuel ratios upwards of 17:1. Such lean ratios are not the best for exhaust valve longevity. I currently achieve over 30 MPG with the 3.65 final four speed trans in my 86 SE.

A big point to consider is if you live in an area that requires emissions testing. The 7730 does have EGR control but the 7165 does not. There is a work around to get rudimentary EGR control but I have not tested this yet.

The 7165 wins for simplicity of installation. With just a few wire that need to be moved in the ecu connectors and a couple that are left out, the stock harness and ecu tray can be retained without any surgery.

If you are one that loves to tinker with the tune, the 7165 is fun and does not need any extra hardware other than a PC compatible computer and an aldl adapter. Do keep in mind that the NVRAM used in the 7165 does have a battery that will got flat after a while, so it is not a permanent installation. I always keep a memcal with the most recent good tune in the car in case of unforeseen issues. The 7730 can be tuned on the fly with the help of an emulator.

The 7165 is starting to bet a bit harder to find in the junk yards and on the net it can be a bit pricey. The 7730 can be found just about everywhere.

In summation, either is going to require some work to get going but can be a fun learning experience.

Chet W.

PS, I just returned from running my car on the replacement NVRAM I programmed for Fierosound. I had an extra 2-Bar map sensor so the comp would work correctly. A bit lean under higher loads due to the injectors not being what the code is set for, but it idled nice and smooth at 700 RPM and cruised fine.

ranger stone

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-26-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ranger stoneSend a Private Message to ranger stoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you , your setup may be over my skill level,,I have had someone helping me who is very knowledgeable about Fiero but
he is not up on the ECM modification,, Im not sure what a NVRAM is !
I will read again
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chetw,

PM sent ......
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PS, I just returned from running my car on the replacement NVRAM I programmed for Fierosound. I had an extra 2-Bar map sensor so the comp would work correctly. A bit lean under higher loads due to the injectors not being what the code is set for, but it idled nice and smooth at 700 RPM and cruised fine.

Just got it and put in in. I think I've done something to disable by car !

Previously, it got gas no spark.

Now it fired up and ran rough for about half a minute at about 500rpm before dying - no response to throttle

I thought it might have been running on gas still in cylinders.
But it won't restart and I smell gas?? Maybe it flooded and died??

Tried connecting laptop with TunerPro RT on it - won't recognize the ECM.
Tried the WinFlash program to read BIN file and get timed out - no connection error.

I'm going to go recheck all the wiring AGAIN. I must have messed something up.
But if that checks out, I don't know what to do.

AND I'm stranded. Neither Fiero is driveable, and my daily driver Van is at the Dealership - ECM problems
I dropped it off this morning. It's 3:00pm and they haven't even got it in the service shop yet.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-08-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15144 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Progress...

I found a wire in the wrong place. I figured that would be it (problem solved?)

Nope. Laptop still doesn't recognize ECM although Windows on laptop does and installs COM port.
So I'm trying to figure out this convoluted TunerPro RT OSE12 configuration (it looks right - just doesn't work).

With NVRAM I got today, engine starts, runs weakly, then dies.
Just can't keep it running. Throttle doesn't seem to give it more gas.

It seemed better with the original NVRAM, but runs rough, rich (have to throttle to keep it from stalling) and Check Engine light comes on.

Been chatting with Chet. With his help we'll get it figured out.

Scanned ECM for codes - get a 33 - MAP sensor high. THAT makes sense to how it's running.
So I have to follow that through and also consider that I may have damaged the ECM <damn>.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-08-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess Chet's the only guy who knows anything about how this works... (can't find him)

I've re-checked all the wiring again with particular attention to the 3 MAP connections as per Chet's wiring diagram.
I've used an ohm-meter to verify that the connection at the MAP end is the same wire at the ECM end (and to the correct pin).
I've back-probed the connections at the MAP (key on/engine off) - 5.1-volts in 2.1-volts out (2BAR MAP at 3500 feet)
So there definitely doesn't seem to be anything wrong concerning the MAP.

Started it up, it floods, it stalls, it throws Error Code 33 (MAP high) again.

MAP input connects to C11 - a pin not normally used on the 7165.
So either the ECM is not seeing that signal, or the program is not accepting it, or the MAP flag is not set as a 2BAR MAP.

Looks like I bought a re-man'd 1227165 ECM ($175) that I didn't really need to.

I still can't get the laptop programs to talk to this damn thing to see what's going on.

Not sure who's ALDL cable I'm using. Got it years ago (2002?) from someone here. It uses a 1/8" jack/plug to connect with the ALDL port.
I'm positive the cable worked fine with WinALDL and both the 7170 and 6869 ECMs, but wanted to check its connections.
I can't find any info on it anywhere...

Info used to be here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/030414.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-11-2014).]

chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ALDL setup no good. Best I can figure is that the cable you have is strictly for 160 baud and can only receive. What you need is one that can communicate at 8192 baud. Tunerpro needed to be able to send a data request packet to the ecu for it to start spilling it digital guts.

Once we get the ecu communicating with tunerpro, we will be able to see what the ecu is doing and why it does not like us.

Moates has a usb-aldl cable as well as phonedawgz.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock