Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  87 4cyl auto w 23828 + original miles been sitting over 17 years (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
87 4cyl auto w 23828 + original miles been sitting over 17 years by weloveour86se
Started on: 09-20-2011 07:03 PM
Replies: 244 (7401 views)
Last post by: weloveour86se on 07-05-2015 04:14 PM
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2012 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Friggin Autozone dude wanted to argue with me about part numbers! lol pretty bad when the customer has to straighten things out. They had the totally wrong front brake pads... Now this means another trip to the next town over to pick them up tomorrow... Oh well, such is life huh?

IP: Logged
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2012 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I lived up there I used to use VIP auto parts. Ricky Craven used to advertise for them a lot. Are they still around?
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2farnorth:

When I lived up there I used to use VIP auto parts. Ricky Craven used to advertise for them a lot. Are they still around?

Yes VIP is still around. They are the closest parts store but old dude in there is a jack arse, short and usually ignores you... Isn't Ricky Craven from Maine? Dunno for sure tho.

Brakes all put back together, new pads. Seem to be working just fine! No ebrake just yet as one cable needs to be replaced, just waiting for the nice mail person to bring a package.

So next thing, Thinking were gonna let the car idle and warmup and check the tranny fluid. Some did spill when we were pulling the cradle.

Then next it's move everything out of the way, stand back, and have momma put it into gear...pics and or video soon to come.

This is another pretty exciting moment for us!!

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

4289 posts
Member since Feb 2011
Oh no.. Somethings not right. It will idle just great in park. When I put it in any other gear it idles erratically, sputters and misses it almost sounds like. God I hate to think what can be wrong!! I do NOT want to have to pull it all back out again so soon!

Please let it be some sensor or something easy?
Apr 13th, 2012
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the car drive? Basically, does the car run poorly when its put in drive just because its in drive and the transmission is engaged, or does it run poorly when placed under load?

I'm guessing the engine isn't handling load properly.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car does not roll yet... no brakes. Does that transmission have a TCC? Try unplugging that if it has one....I don't know about Duke automatics.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-13-2012).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TY for the replies. It's got to be something with either the tranny or the torque converter, I'm guessing. Yes I'm guessing here. The motor shifts when changing gears quite a bit. Our other fiero is a 2.8 so i have nothing to reference but does this shift of the motor seem correct? Quick video. Please take a look and listen and LMK what you think.. TY

Theres another video coming but they take around 30 minutes to upload...Grrr!

Anyway thanks for any and all ideas.

Edit to add another video... this one was shot just BEFORE the above video in this same post. Note the shift in motor position. Also the idle speed changes dramatically. Is this normal?

We now have two of the four brake calipers functioning mormally. Just need to bleed the other two.

Anyway LMK if you have any ideas.

TYVM For any and all ideas, tips or pointers.

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 04-13-2012).]

2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like the rubber bushing in the dog bone is loose. Also could be a bad or loose trans mount. Do you still have the single trans mono-mount or did you convert to the V6 style dual trans mounts?

When it is idling in gear are the wheel hubs turning or are they being held still by the brakes? If the hubs are held by the brakes and the engine continues running even if it's rough it's not the TCC. If it stalls in gear when you step on the brakes then TCC could be the culprit. The fix to that is accessible through the side pan on the trans.

Did you find the source of the tick?
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

It looks like the rubber bushing in the dog bone is loose. Also could be a bad or loose trans mount. Do you still have the single trans mono-mount or did you convert to the V6 style dual trans mounts?

When it is idling in gear are the wheel hubs turning or are they being held still by the brakes? If the hubs are held by the brakes and the engine continues running even if it's rough it's not the TCC. If it stalls in gear when you step on the brakes then TCC could be the culprit. The fix to that is accessible through the side pan on the trans.

Did you find the source of the tick?

TY for the reply. All very good points!

I think the rubber bushing on the dog bone may be shot. Its cracked pretty bad, perhaps from sitting soooo long. Yes we still have the factory trans mount in place. Not good huh? Sigh...

The brakes are holding the car in place when we shift from park and even when we goose the gas a lil bit. One thing I did notice on our very, very first start up and idle was that when I gave the gas pedal a good goosing the car rocked forward slightly. Just a tiny bit, but enough for me to notice. I don't know if this is normal or not, but I don't think it is.

Lastly, no we haven't found our tick yet. I did feel around the block and intake manny and couldn't feel any puffs of air or whatever. The tick has gotten slightly better tho I think. I'm almost sure that our tick has got to be the injector.

So all that motor movement is probably related to the tired dog bone bushings and tranny mount then? Sigh...

Thanks everyone for your time and efforts! We coud never have made it this far without all your help. Both in this thread and PFF, TY! I won't give up this easily!

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been reading this as time goes by. I have enjoyed your thread. Brakes aren't to bad. I do suggest new hoses all the way around. The fronts are simple to rebuild if you can open the bleeder, and if the hose banjo bolt will open. Kits are only a few bucks. rears a re a bit more tricky. Ya got to work a bit more to do the rears at home.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

TY for the reply. All very good points!

I think the rubber bushing on the dog bone may be shot. Its cracked pretty bad, perhaps from sitting soooo long. Yes we still have the factory trans mount in place. Not good huh? Sigh...

The mono-mount is known for eating dog bone bushings. You might see if any of the auto part stores up there offer a "lifetime" dog bone. I found one a O'Reilys down here.

The brakes are holding the car in place when we shift from park and even when we goose the gas a lil bit. One thing I did notice on our very, very first start up and idle was that when I gave the gas pedal a good goosing the car rocked forward slightly. Just a tiny bit, but enough for me to notice. I don't know if this is normal or not, but I don't think it is.

I have seen this before. If it's not too serious I would wait until you had put a few miles on it to see if it loosens up. I had one that when it was in the air idling and in neutral one wheel would turn slowly. In park it didn't do it.

Lastly, no we haven't found our tick yet. I did feel around the block and intake manny and couldn't feel any puffs of air or whatever. The tick has gotten slightly better tho I think. I'm almost sure that our tick has got to be the injector.

See if it gets louder when you take the cover off the top of the air filter.

So all that motor movement is probably related to the tired dog bone bushings and tranny mount then? Sigh...

Thanks everyone for your time and efforts! We coud never have made it this far without all your help. Both in this thread and PFF, TY! I won't give up this easily!

The tranny mount may be okay. The way the mounts are set up if the dogbone wasn't there it would rock even further. That type of mounting system might okay if the mounts were higher on the eng and trans but mounted down low it was a poor design. You might consider a poly bushed dogbone, but you will feel more engine vibration through out the car.

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brake fluid...
See cave, brake section.

DO NOT "drain" the system. That can let air into the MC! Not Good.
Suck down most of the fluid at MC tank then flush the rest.
Apr 14th, 2012
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the second video where you are putting it in gear it sounds like the motor is at a really high idle?? That can explain some of the motor rocking back and forth too. But it for sure looks like you possibly have a worn dogbone. I bought one for my daughters car from Rock Auto. It was like $9 new plus shipping.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once again Friggin Autozone dude wants to aurgue with me about part numbers. I'm sitting at home looking directly at...

http://www.autozone.com/aut...130997_195310_18435_

I'm telling him the part number and he keeps tellin me some different price then whats listed on the website. I repeat the part number a fourth time and finally he says the right price....Now, I can only imagine he's irritated and the guy says, "that parts gotta be prepaid." At this point the only reason I wanna go with Autozone is I have a $20 credit with them. Nevermind I tell him. I'll find it elsewhere, ty and hangup...

Yeah I'm no parts wizard and he knows only what I'm telling him but if he would of just listened to me telling him the part number in the first place...I'm trying to give Autozone the benefit of the doubt, but theres no more benefit and only doubt at this point.

It may be a symptom of dealing with the public on selling parts most have not one single clue about, I understand that. But man this is the second time in a row I have got into it with this Autozone dude and both times I was right. Last time it cost me $10 cause of having to go back and forth twice at $4.00 a gallon...

Sheesh. Sorry short rant!
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

4289 posts
Member since Feb 2011

Originally posted by Curlrup:

Good Job man! Feels good saving one doesn't it? Saved 3 myself.

Not to sound corny or anything but PFF saved this car as well! I turned some wrenches sure but never would have even begun to imagine what to do without PFF!!

Group hug everyone! hehe

Apr 17th, 2012
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Friggin Autozone dude wanted to argue with me about part numbers! lol pretty bad when the customer has to straighten things out. They had the totally wrong front brake pads... Now this means another trip to the next town over to pick them up tomorrow... Oh well, such is life huh?

I understand your frustration with them. Couple of months ago they told me me that I was not qualified to work part time for them. The manager had basically hired me and was just waiting for my application to show up at the store computer. After a week I inquired with corperate as to why it hadn't showed and that's when they told me. They wouldn't tell me what my disqualification was. Worked out good though. Got hired at a local hardware store. I can walk to work if I want.

[This message has been edited by 2farnorth (edited 04-17-2012).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meh, I been hiding from this car. Took a break and brought my boy and his buddy out shooting, Blew some steam off. Lots's of fun.

Anyway today was an easier day. I'm not really in any big hurrys to jack it all back up again. Put the back bumper all together, and got all the trim back on, cept the lil piece behind driver door handle. Later for that. Went on a critter crossing search under the front cowling thingy under the wiper arms. Maybe long ago there was a mouse, some tiny bits of paper...but pretty clean.

Couple of things

1. I can't find this mythical resistor thats a fire risk. The one inside the front trunk. Near the AC condenser? I've seen some pics but can't make it out. Any pointers? I would hate this car to go Poof!!

2. All lights are working but.....Passenger side headlight goes up and down fine with the hood up but wont with it down. It only comes up a little bit, then we put it back down quickly. Any ideas?

Smoke anyone? Found this under the drivers seat. Dang dude musta been having a nicotine fit!!
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Pulled the snap in thingys and vacuumed all around inside.

Pretty tailights! They been cooling out in the shade for years...

And OH yeah, BTW I found the PO's contact imfo the other day. What should I do? Call him and ask some questions about the car? How it came to be in his possesion? Might be interesting.
Blacksheep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacksheepSend a Private Message to BlacksheepEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1. I can't find this mythical resistor thats a fire risk. The one inside the front trunk. Near the AC condenser? I've seen some pics but can't make it out. Any pointers? I would hate this car to go Poof!!

I posted in a different thread a few days ago with what I did when I was cleaning mine out (old thread here).

Anyways, this might help point out where it is, kind of hard to see in the picture but you can kind of see the wires and the connector on the back of the plate.

EDIT: I failed at img....

[This message has been edited by Blacksheep (edited 04-17-2012).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, cool Blacksheep TYVM. I'll add this to the list. One of the benifits of this thread is keeping on track, sorta anyway. Least this way hopefully I won't forget this.

2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found lots of leaves, hay, and pine needles packed around the resistor in mine. The worst part was the mice used the squirrel cage (or hamster wheel) for the potty room. Took a lot of work to get the smell out of it.
Apr 18th, 2012
84candyorangeduke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84candyorangedukeSend a Private Message to 84candyorangedukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats really not a squirrel cage for the heater. Gm understood the 2M4 did not have much power so they added a squirrel cage turbo to some of the cars. The drawback to this was keeping the squirrels in there and alive. I would say you just need to replace with some new squirrels and your turbo will be good again! oh and BTW check your muffler bearings and blinker fluid at the same time. Good luck

------------------
If it works take it apart and find out why

PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Resistors, a little bit of something on there. Otherwise if Fiefel was staying over he didn't stay long. More tiny bits of paper..

Obviously this is a bulb socket, perhaps a front service light option? Can't find where it should mount. Same area as the resistor plate. Wheres it go?

Edit; Yep last pic is of the service lamp. Stuck a bulb in and turned the parking lights on and lights right up. The bracket that my 86 has for this is missing on this car. Wonder if perhaps this was a cost cutting omission? Doesn't look like one was ever installed. Minor..

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 04-18-2012).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

4289 posts
Member since Feb 2011
I gotta get out my highly trainded pack of lemurs and set them to work dusting. Man this thing is super clean!!

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks nice.
You should probably change those antifreeze caps too.
Blacksheep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacksheepSend a Private Message to BlacksheepEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Obviously this is a bulb socket, perhaps a front service light option? Can't find where it should mount. Same area as the resistor plate. Wheres it go?

Edit; Yep last pic is of the service lamp. Stuck a bulb in and turned the parking lights on and lights right up. The bracket that my 86 has for this is missing on this car. Wonder if perhaps this was a cost cutting omission? Doesn't look like one was ever installed. Minor..

Found this picture here. It looks like its in a little bracket right next to where the coils were.

EDIT: oops, should probably have read all your edit.... oh well, maybe useful for someone who stumbles across this thread later.

[This message has been edited by Blacksheep (edited 04-18-2012).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah BlackSheep my 86se has the bracket for the bulb, but this 87 does not. And it looks as if it never did. The socket and wire was twisted around and tucked behind that part of the harness. Maybe something in the RPO code could explain more? hmmm.

Anyway it's, "do the jack shuffle" again.., to get her up on stands. I gotta install the newish ebrake cable and try and not brain fudge the tensioner setup too much! I honestly have a vague recollection as to how it was. oops. See if I can use up the rest of those spare parts I had earlier. Pretty sure most of them are brake parts anyway.
Blacksheep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacksheepSend a Private Message to BlacksheepEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah BlackSheep my 86se has the bracket for the bulb, but this 87 does not. And it looks as if it never did. The socket and wire was twisted around and tucked behind that part of the harness. Maybe something in the RPO code could explain more? hmmm.

I don't think my 88 has that either, maybe it was something they got rid of for the later models?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That socket is an option... RPO # I forget. Most cars don't have the option... But easier to wire the option at factory.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. Got all four calipers bled nicely. Started at drivers rear and worked to pass rear, then pass front, etc. All bubble free fluid flowing down my piece of clear bleeder tube. Drivers front caliper is a little tight, hopefully it will free up some with rotation. The rotors kinda rough looking.

Ebrake systems all back together just need the adjuster nut. I'll add it to my, "Some parts needed" thread in the mall if someone has one laying round getting dusty...

Luckily I have another car to use for reference on the ebrake adjuster setup...

I really am getting slightly tired of my crappy jack. Not the factory one but the Wally World one we bought a couple years ago. You get what you pay for I guess, but I gotta give it credit. It gets the job done. Lots of good progress today. Doesn't seem like much but it's another few steps.

Waiting for a new dogbone and bushings. Then more gas and maybe a short test drive???
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All my 85s had the wiring in place for the light in the front compartment but the bracket and bulb were missing. I just got the brackets off a parts cars and plugged in a bulb and it worked...as long as the light switch was on. Seems to me I got the brackets from a couple of 84 SEs

On the brake adjuster: I think you will need the entire adjuster assembly. I didn't think that the nut is actually supposed to come out of it. You may be able to use a small clamp to hold it in place but I have never taken one apart enough to get the nut out.

Did you brush the rotors down to insure there are no big rust pits?
Apr 19th, 2012
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All my 85s had the wiring in place for the light in the front compartment but the bracket and bulb were missing. I just got the brackets off a parts cars and plugged in a bulb and it worked...as long as the light switch was on. Seems to me I got the brackets from a couple of 84 SEs

On the brake adjuster: I think you will need the entire adjuster assembly. I didn't think that the nut is actually supposed to come out of it. You may be able to use a small clamp to hold it in place but I have never taken one apart enough to get the nut out.

Did you brush the rotors down to insure there are no big rust pits?

No, I didn't do anything to the rotors yet. I will probably regret it later. I wanna get this car as close to drivable as possible soon. I would like to test drive it atleast around the block. See if it's gonna shift alright, and stop and go.

I ordered a new torque strut from RockAuto. $10.71 add another $10 for priority shipping. Should be here in two days. Autozone wanted $30.00 prepaid. VIP didn't have it, never bothered to check Napa. Still have not gotten Momma to pay for one part yet!!! GRRRR.
PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

4289 posts
Member since Feb 2011

Originally posted by hercimer01:

Looks nice.
You should probably change those antifreeze caps too.

I definately wanna take a look at the underside of that front rad cap. Also peek inside the radiator, and finalize the burp, burp coolant fill process. I've been topping the coolant off at the tstat housing as we go for now. The tstat cap is fine and the rubber gasket on the underside is in great shape.

Great pointer though TYVM. We better make sure the rubber under this ones still in good shape. I'll add it to the list.

Last of the spare parts. These washers are going to drive me bonkers trying to figure out where they came from... nuerotic me

Apr 20th, 2012
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The small one looks like it's made of copper, which of course means it belongs between a brake caliper and the end of the brake hose.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bigger washers could be from the motor or trans mount but usually they are covered in oil. The wire hook on the left is supposed to hold your e-brake cable up close to the cradle and away from the exhaust. Later I'll see if I can get a pic of mine. The little washer does look like a copper crush washer as blooz said.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

The small one looks like it's made of copper, which of course means it belongs between a brake caliper and the end of the brake hose.

Lol, sorry let me explain... I PM'ed Blooz and asked him if he could identify any of these left over washers. I seen in another thread where Blooz was naming parts off like he'd been carring them around in his pocket for years...So lol. Damm Blooz, Your genuis is showing!

Noo please, I don't wanna monkey with the brakes anymore. sigh.

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

4289 posts
Member since Feb 2011

The bigger washers could be from the motor or trans mount but usually they are covered in oil. The wire hook on the left is supposed to hold your e-brake cable up close to the cradle and away from the exhaust. Later I'll see if I can get a pic of mine. The little washer does look like a copper crush washer as blooz said.

UGGG TYVM for the Awesome news 2Far, lol. I was actually hoping against all hope that these were NOT motor mount washers. Again, sighhh. Probably won't be too easy to get them back in place.

The hook, yes ebrake cable holder thingymickbobber/doohickey. Just got too dark and I couldn't find the hole...happens to the best of us eventually

Not the end of the world IMO, I cannot believe my band of misfits and I took this thing all apart and put it all back together and this is all the "spare" parts we have left...

This project has brought some of the neighbors closer together. No B.S. Were working all of it mostly in the dang driveway. Everyone walking by pretty much has to stop and chat. Were actually getting donations of tools and stuff. No crap! One guy, no crap, stopped his truck in the very middle of the road, putt it in park, shut it off and got out to talk to us..LOL I had to tell him to move his truck before the damm cops showed up. His truck was litereally parked in the lane... Suddenly I'm the, "hey my weed-eater won't start" guy. "Can you fix it?" Only if theres a Pennocks weed-eater forum...

Oh happy 420 to those who might clebrate it. Hopefully you got all your 420 day decorations up!!
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm beginning to think those other two washers belong on the connecting rod end caps... deep inside the engine.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have the choice, stop shopping at autozone! They're products are mostly mediocre in quality and their prices are not good, either.

If you have an advance nearby, you can get huge discounts using their promo codes if you buy online (you can still do in-store pickup) -- and most of their products are at least as good as autozone's.

BIG15 - $15 off order of $40+
ES123 - $20 off order of $50+
BIG30 - $30 off order of $75+
CCABIN - $40 off order of $100+

I've used these countless times, works great. Works on everything except motor oil and a few other "commodity" type items.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

If you have the choice, stop shopping at autozone!

If you have an advance nearby, you can get huge discounts using their promo codes if you buy online (you can still do in-store pickup)

BIG15 - $15 off order of $40+
ES123 - $20 off order of $50+
BIG30 - $30 off order of $75+
CCABIN - $40 off order of $100+

I've used these countless times, works great. Works on everything except motor oil and a few other "commodity" type items.

Cool!! TY for the codes. I'm gonna use one of them later today... Yes theres a Advenced Auto nearby. I'll check it out. Thanks for the advice.

Apr 22nd, 2012
littlereddragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for littlereddragonSend a Private Message to littlereddragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A note on the brake rotors. A local shop trued my rotors that the surface was so rough with rust it looked like 60 grit sandpaper . They are under the spec size i'm sure but for local driving they will be fine. Only cost 15 bucks Paid cash they didnt want to be responsible . I have been trying about the same thing as you to get this little car on the road with the least inventment for now. Good luck on your's
http://fieroproject.weebly....719/2181480_orig.jpg

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock