Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  The Official "GMC INDY HAULER" build thread (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official "GMC INDY HAULER" build thread by Greg Z
Started on: 11-02-2005 07:39 PM
Replies: 256 (22191 views)
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 05-17-2023 03:51 PM
Greg Z

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'm getting ready to start the build up on this truck and figured it belong in the technical section. heres a link to the thread that got this started. the body man (Briggs) came by today and looked and we agreed on a price, he will come and pick the truck up on monday. he said it will take about 3 weeks so i figure about 3-6 months.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/054468.html

does anyone know off hand the paint codes off the pace car? i plan on painted the gmc the same colors so it will match.

please give me your suggestions and opinions on this project, if you have cool and inovative realistic ideas about different things i can do with this let me know.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
el_roy1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for el_roy1985Send a Private Message to el_roy1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen a Jimmy Indy Hauler before. That was just over the summer. I was at wal-mart then I seen a Jimmy with an odd spoiler type thing on the back. Then I seen it said Indy Hauler. Never heard of one before that. Seems pretty darn cool though.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have all the 84 paint codes on page 5 of the website in my sig.

Exterior:
40C - White - 3680 - WA-8554
Lower Accent
18 - Medium Gray Poly - 3603

Interior:
12DN - Graphite - 33622 - 2-1020
13AN - Light Slate Gray - 33488 - 2-624
Instrument panel colors must be oversprayed with UCV-69 Low-gloss clear.

Did you ever get that LMC Truck catalog?

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 11-03-2005).]

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no catalog yet but thnx for reminding me, i just re-ordered it.
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2005 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just a lil update. i got the lmc catolog and come to find out they do not have anything for the blazer/jimmy, only the p/u. i have ran into a snag, to get the front grille of an 84 i will need to change the core support. the headlamps bolt up in a different spot. my problem with this is i do not want to bolt a aftermarket core support to the truck, aftermarket does not always line up perfect and the whole front end of my truck could end up looking like it was wrecked and redone! i also cannot find a used one that has not been in an accident. anyone have any suggestions?
Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2005 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Greg Z:

just a lil update. i got the lmc catolog and come to find out they do not have anything for the blazer/jimmy, only the p/u. i have ran into a snag, to get the front grille of an 84 i will need to change the core support. the headlamps bolt up in a different spot. my problem with this is i do not want to bolt a aftermarket core support to the truck, aftermarket does not always line up perfect and the whole front end of my truck could end up looking like it was wrecked and redone! i also cannot find a used one that has not been in an accident. anyone have any suggestions?

cruise over to s10forum.com or s-seriesforum.com and ask in the wanted parts section. lot of guys over there have part trucks.

mike

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2006 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BGIndy:

I figured I'd lurked here long enough, so hopefully my first post might be helpful.
I thought about doing this project as well to go along with my Indy. I spent quite a bit of time at the Indianapoils Motor Speedway photo archives looking for pictures and ran across a few of the GMC Indy Hauler while I was there. This was 5 years ago , but for those who haven't been there, you just tell them what you're interested in and the staff will start bringing you photo books of that years race and associated vehicles.
Hope this helps and good luck

i took your advice and flew to Indianapolis and went to the Motor Speedway Museum and looked thru thousands of pictures! as a matter of fact every picture of the 84 indy 500. i found a couple of the s15 pick-up at some sort of ceramony at a different location and time than the race, and 1 pic of what i'm sure is the pick-up way in the background. but nothing at all on the jimmy version. hell i found about 5 pics of the full size gmc van(safari i'm guessing) painted up gray and white w/logos and such. also found quite a few if the wreckers but could not find one of the back to get a clear shot of the licence plate to see if it matched my wrecker plate i bought. here i am

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2006 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*bump* to the top

Did you buy any of the pics at the museum? I have four pics of the Fiero pace car I bought there framed and hanging in my room. I LOVE going to Indy!

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2006 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

*bump* to the top

Did you buy any of the pics at the museum? I have four pics of the Fiero pace car I bought there framed and hanging in my room. I LOVE going to Indy!

yes as a matter of fact i did. i just put them into frames a couple of minutes ago. i got them in 11x14 size. i got 1 with a picture of Rick Mears standing by his car and the pace car, another of all 3 pace cars in the garage together using a lens from the camera that makes it look like you are looking though a peep hole. i wanted more pictures but they are expensive.

UPDATE: body guy is slacking off, just got off the phone with him complaining about swapping rad. supports over. i put a lil fire under him, we'll see what happens.

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: heres a few pictures of the project truck. i went by today and he says he wil start on it monday. i'm determined to build this GMC Hauler.

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just going to PM you on the progress of the truck. Did you finally figure out how to put the older front end on, and choose the wheels?
PFF
System Bot
88fierocoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fierocoupeSend a Private Message to 88fierocoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know about 2 years ago when I had my 89 s10 blazer I was recieving LMC catologs specific to them. Do they not print newer catologs now? If you need one I might have one laying around.
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was just going to PM you on the progress of the truck. Did you finally figure out how to put the older front end on, and choose the wheels?

body man swears that he can make the 84 grille work without changing the radiator support. i don't believe him but we'll see. no, i'm still debating the wheels.
the LMC catolog does not offer parts for the blazer unless it is a part that cross-references with the pick-up.
shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shawnkfl:

have you looked here for parts?

http://www.partstrain.com/products/1984~CHEVROLET~BLAZER.html

hey thnx, cool thread. 1 of the things i'm looking for is a new carpet kit that is the indy red. does anyone know if this is possible? did a s10 blazer ever come with red carpet?
shawnkfl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
don't know if these guys have an exact match but you could ask for a few samples from them to see

http://www.auto-interior.com/carpetindex.htm?wcw=google&gclid=CPnRv9nlj4UCFQ5gSgodxCZDIQ

they also have the molded carpet for the blazer.
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

don't know if these guys have an exact match but you could ask for a few samples from them to see

http://www.auto-interior.com/carpetindex.htm?wcw=google&gclid=CPnRv9nlj4UCFQ5gSgodxCZD IQ

they also have the molded carpet for the blazer.

thank-you very much. i think that is exactly what i want. look at 6 red. that looks like the indy color does'nt it?

http://www.auto-interior.com/1dmstkcrpt.htm
shawnkfl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it does to me by looking at pics, but i've never seen an indy up close and personal. i'm ordering my fiero caqrpet from that place shortly.the prices look pretty decent to me
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i ordered 3 sample pieces from the manufacturer. 5, 6, & 10. that shpuld help me pick the right one!
shawnkfl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that # 43 keeps catching my eye for some reason. maybe have them throw that one in too. i don't know if that's a match but it looks close to me based on pics i've seen. i can't believe the indy guys havn't chimed in here yet?
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's all but impossible to match up colors based on what you see on a computer monitor, since they will all be slightly different. Ordering the samples and holding them to an original Indy's carpet is the best way to go there.

Also, if you haven't looked into decals yet, shop_rat45 has made repro door and fader stripe decals, he may also be able to do the 'Official Truck' and 'GMC Indy Hauler' decals?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/059220.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/022364.html
PFF
System Bot
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BIG UPDATE, ALOT HAS HAPPENED TODAY
here are the 3 samples i got on the floormat in direct sunlight

here they are on floormat in shade

here they are on door panel in shade

here they are on doorpanel in the sun
shawnkfl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the one on the right looks like a close match in every pic except the one by the door in the shade. could just be the pic? nice watch....seiko?? looks like mine.
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is truck waiting on the gray paint.

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Greg Z

1218 posts
Member since Jun 2004

the one on the right looks like a close match in every pic except the one by the door in the shade. could just be the pic? nice watch....seiko?? looks like mine.

you're right, the one on the right is the closest match except in that one pic, but in person door #3 wins everytime.....it's a rolex
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Carpet sample # 3 looks good to me too. Truck looks niiiiiiccceeee. Is he going to paint in the door sills too? I wouldn't be so concerned about the engine compartment but you'd see the blue everytime you open the door?
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Carpet sample # 3 looks good to me too. Truck looks niiiiiiccceeee. Is he going to paint in the door sills too? I wouldn't be so concerned about the engine compartment but you'd see the blue everytime you open the door?

thnx, and yes when i gave him the truck 6 months ago the deal was to do a full change of color, even under the hood. i will know more today after he pulls the tape off. i will take more pics today.
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool idea this Indy Hauler. I have a concern though with the Blazer. Is this going to be enough truck to haul a car and trailer? Is it the Vortec V6 engine or a V8 swap? I usually haul my cars with a 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3 liter V8 (290 horse or thereabouts) and class 3 hitch. I had a Blazer for a while and it seemed pretty strained with such a load on a class 2 hitch although I think maybe a class 3 might be available for the Blazer - dunno. Regardless, if the power isn't there when done they offer great V8 swap kits for the Blazer. Keep truckin!!!!!
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tutnkmn:

Very cool idea this Indy Hauler. I have a concern though with the Blazer. Is this going to be enough truck to haul a car and trailer? Is it the Vortec V6 engine or a V8 swap? I usually haul my cars with a 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3 liter V8 (290 horse or thereabouts) and class 3 hitch. I had a Blazer for a while and it seemed pretty strained with such a load on a class 2 hitch although I think maybe a class 3 might be available for the Blazer - dunno. Regardless, if the power isn't there when done they offer great V8 swap kits for the Blazer. Keep truckin!!!!!

i have the same concerns. but in reality i'm sure i won't be towing with it much. i don't go to many car shows cause i have a full time job & 2 part time jobs. the blz has the 195hp VORTEC, so i'm thinking it can do it on occasions. i hope they do make a class 3 for the s10 blz or i'm in trouble.
if all goes well with this truck there will be a V8 conversion in the future(i'm thinking LS1)
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its pretty flat in the area he lives in, so as long as he isnt hauling in the larger hills the blazer will tow just fine, and if all else fails, vortec makes a supercharger for it

matthew
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok, here it is straight out of the paint booth eeerrr...paint garage!

PFF
System Bot
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Greg Z

1218 posts
Member since Jun 2004
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How far are you going to go towards authenticity as far as the interior? like swapping out the gauge cluster and steering wheel for an 84 one? Are you going to paint it all the same light slate gray and charcoal gray used in the Indy Fieros, with red carpeting and leather seats with red cloth inserts... (can you tell I'm not the one paying for it? )

Have you looked into decals yet? What about accurate side mirrors? Did 84's have that T-handle thing on the back for opening the hatch? Or a rear wiper for tht matter? OOH what about the ground effects?
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15013 posts
Member since May 2002

i hope they do make a class 3 for the s10 blz or i'm in trouble.

Found one:

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/011.html
tomsfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2006 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsfieroSend a Private Message to tomsfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is the coolest idea and build thread I've seen, cant wait to see the results. and damn, that truck looks clean. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by tomsfiero (edited 06-02-2006).]

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2006 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tomsfiero:

this is the coolest idea and build thread I've seen, cant wait to see the results. and damn, that truck looks clean. Good luck!

thank-you tom, i needed that! this is the most depressing birthday i've ever had. you put the first smile on my face today.
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2006 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Greg Z

1218 posts
Member since Jun 2004

How far are you going to go towards authenticity as far as the interior? like swapping out the gauge cluster and steering wheel for an 84 one? Are you going to paint it all the same light slate gray and charcoal gray used in the Indy Fieros, with red carpeting and leather seats with red cloth inserts... (can you tell I'm not the one paying for it? )

Have you looked into decals yet? What about accurate side mirrors? Did 84's have that T-handle thing on the back for opening the hatch? Or a rear wiper for tht matter? OOH what about the ground effects?

very good questions bob. actually you just gave me a few ideas.
guage cluster - no change
sterring wheel - indy fiero wheel
as far as the slate & charcoal i had not put any thought to that yet because of the interior already being light gray, but i will !
seats - original indy seats (problem is then what do i do with the back seats so they match?
door panels - look at the picture, you see factory carpet?, i'm putting all rerd carpet up to that next line right at the armrest.
decals- not looked yet, but have local shop or the link provided up above.(just wondering how good the link can do w/no truck.)
side mirrors - no thought yet.
t-handle - i'm think 84's have
wiper - i'm keeping
3rd brake light - i'm keeping(have to, body shop did not remove when painting, means blue underneath)
ground effects - aaaaaaaarrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2006 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's your birthday too?!?!?? That's some twilight zone stuff right there
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2006 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what would be the correct size tires to order. of course they are going on Firebird 15in rims, but going on a truck, so i don't want car size tires. i don't want a low profile look but a meaty, tough look would be nice.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Firestone&model=Firehawk+Indy+500
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock