Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  84-87 12" Corvette Brake Swap... (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
84-87 12" Corvette Brake Swap... by Jncomutt
Started on: 06-09-2005 09:43 PM
Replies: 279 (45613 views)
Last post by: adifferentlook on 01-28-2021 09:00 AM
Comealongway

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh yah I'm another one that got ripped off from cheetah BUYER BEWARE
IP: Logged
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kostarossa, I'm confused. Which kit do you use? I thought you used Fieroaddictions 13" big brake Wilwood kit. Do you have 2 cars?
Shianne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShianneSend a Private Message to ShianneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well here I go I installed the corvette 12" front brakes but am having issues with the banjo bolt hitting th front shock as described by other on this post. I tried rotating the calipers from side to side so that the bleed screw is facing up? Tried the brackets every way I can think of but am still unable to get the banjo bolt to clear the shock with the tire off. Does anyone have a picture of the caliper mounted with out the rotor in place so I can see the bracket alignment. or a view from the back. Obvious that I am just assembling it wrong but can't seem to figure this out. I even tried the caliper mount bracket on both side to no avail. Anyhow thanks in advance.

Pat
86 SE soon to be LT1 V8 if I can get through the brake upgrade.
fierodustin

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustinSend a Private Message to fierodustinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
someone said earlier that there's stopped hitting as soon as there was weight on the suspension.
Shianne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShianneSend a Private Message to ShianneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my only concern with it freeing up under load is that cornering in a situation with under load then losing the load could cause damage to the caliper. I am sure I am just missing something.

I tired all the combos I could see. Anyhow mabe I will take a pic or two and post them so you can see what I mean.
fierodustin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustinSend a Private Message to fierodustinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please do, That would help me out a lot. I am taking time next week to machine some brackets and can adjust the mounting holes if they need to move a little.
Shianne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShianneSend a Private Message to ShianneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will post some pic's of the front brackets mounted with caliper and the banjo bolt issue.

The brackets I had made at my local machine shop. He did an excellent job. Everything lines up but as I said before the bolt ie back of caliper hits the lower shock bolt.
Shianne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShianneSend a Private Message to ShianneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Shianne

87 posts
Member since May 2001
well here are some driver side pics with the banjo bolt shown against the shock. I also include a pic of the bracket. Give me some ideas what I have done wrong with the below.

note how that bolt is touching the shock. The car is not at full turn radius.

Bracket I had made for the front following the blue print provided earlier on this post.

thanks Again.

PS Wow getting pictures on this site is a chore I have never done it before. As always everything is windows oriented, I use linux, but got it to work.

Pat

[This message has been edited by Shianne (edited 08-13-2009).]

fierodustin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustinSend a Private Message to fierodustinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hmm, it looks like you have it installed the same way as the other guys that have done this already... maybe someone else that has done it already can chime in and help.
Shianne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShianneSend a Private Message to ShianneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I think I have it right. I may just give it a try. Got my hubs back and new studs installed. Hopefully back together to night.
Shianne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShianneSend a Private Message to ShianneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One last question? Does it make a difference weather the caliper is on the right or the left. It would be nice to have the bleed screw facing down. From what I can see it does not make a lot of difference to caliper position in relation to the bracket. With the calipers mounted as marked it would place the bleed screw facing up. I have not paid attention to the late 80's earlier 90's vettes to know how there's are mounted but I assume the caliper is on the front of the front rotor not on the rear as our conversion has it.

got the rears done, got the hubs back on with new studs, just have the master cylinder and front calipers to mount then out to try it out.

Thanks
Pat
PFF
System Bot
fierodustin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustinSend a Private Message to fierodustinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will want your bleeders up. You will pull your hair out trying to bleed them if you mount them down.

Dustin
Shianne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShianneSend a Private Message to ShianneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that if it ever stops raining here I will get them finished up.
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anything new on this setup. it looks interesting and not ultra expensive.
al
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have all the parts...still waiting on someone to make the brackets. -Jason
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car came with 9" brakes. These are 3 inches larger than stock. Yes, there will be some issues trying to get that extra inch and a half of clearance. Put a jack under a control arm and see how much of an issue that banjo is. I really hope you're not planning on jumping your car with the wheel at full lock.

The solution to this problem is to weld the lower shock mount higher up on the control arm.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jncomutt

8899 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

Have all the parts...still waiting on someone to make the brackets. -Jason

I'm working on carrying brackets, rings, and modified control arms in my webstore. I'll update this thread If/when I get some done.
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:
I'm working on carrying brackets, rings, and modified control arms in my webstore. I'll update this thread If/when I get some done.

You sir...will be my hero! I can't tell you how many times I have given the drawings to people only to have them not come thru.... -Jason

mera7

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-06-2010 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry to jump in on this thread but i have a new set 4 of these rotors cross drilled for sale if anyone is interested. mike in oklahoma pm me
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you guys think this swap would cost alltogether. (including the small nickel&dime stuff, i.e.: hoses, bolts, nuts, brake pads, etc.)

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice thread!! these must feel nice!
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got the first run of parts back from a new laser guy. We had some flanges cut up to see the quality of the work and to feel out the company. The place was great to deal with and the parts came out great. The 3800 exhaust flanges we drew up are MUCH better than the ones I got from ZZP.

The brake caliper adapters are coming next. I'll keep you posted.

Example of our 'test' flanges..
http://i13.photobucket.com/...Flanges/d4a6f98f.jpg

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 01-27-2010).]

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doesn't get any easier than that! thanks for the compiling of info and simplifying of installation!
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much would you be charging? For the exhaust parts and the break brackets
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1/2" mild steel header flanges (Made to Tighter, Better specs than ZZP) are going go sell for $80 + Ship. ZZP sells for $90 + ship.

We haven't received the reply back from the laser guy about the brake adapters. Will keep this post updated.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What parts are needed ?

EDIT: nevermind, just went back and read you have parts in the works !

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 01-27-2010).]

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We haven't received the reply back from the laser guy about the brake adapters. Will keep this post updated.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work on those flanges... I'll have to keep this in mind. I really want to learn to weld... I want to make some headers!

------------------

Check out my build!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

neuro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neuroSend a Private Message to neuroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the fronts on this u/g dual-piston or single?
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bumping to favorite
Dawg

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DawgSend a Private Message to DawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems to me that this banjo problem can be fixed by designing a better adapter. The caliper simply needs to be rotated. It looks like rotating upwards would make the most sense.

Has this not occurred to anyone?

DG

------------------
You Dream it Up -- I'll Build it

PFF
System Bot
hooks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hooksSend a Private Message to hooksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dawg:

It seems to me that this banjo problem can be fixed by designing a better adapter. The caliper simply needs to be rotated. It looks like rotating upwards would make the most sense.

Has this not occurred to anyone?

DG

thats kinda what I was thinking also
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
does anyone have aapter brackets for sale. or know where to get them... everyone that was mentioned before is either not coming through or selling parts that dont work.... i want the brackets, but i dont wanna take a chance on chettah. anybody doing this swap and already has adapters wanna run to the machine shop for me and put in an order?
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by merciero:

does anyone have aapter brackets for sale. or know where to get them... everyone that was mentioned before is either not coming through or selling parts that dont work.... i want the brackets, but i dont wanna take a chance on chettah. anybody doing this swap and already has adapters wanna run to the machine shop for me and put in an order?

I have them for sale in aluminum threaded from Bubbajoe and would sell them to get funds to put back into my project.

If anyone is serious send a PM.

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

garage monster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The car came with 9" brakes. These are 3 inches larger than stock. Yes, there will be some issues trying to get that extra inch and a half of clearance. Put a jack under a control arm and see how much of an issue that banjo is. I really hope you're not planning on jumping your car with the wheel at full lock.

The solution to this problem is to weld the lower shock mount higher up on the control arm.

I had my brackets made by a local machinist using the drawings posted earlier.
Here is how I solved the shock clearance problem. Sorry if some of the pictures are a little dark

Here is where the shock normally mounts

This is where it needs to be moved back to for clearance of the banjo bolt.

The rear mounting flange has room to drill a new hole. The front flange needed this piece to be welded in place.

This is where I welded the small piece and then drilled new mounting holes.

Here is the new position with the bolt in the hole. Now there is no clearance issue at full lock even with wheel off the ground.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by garage monster:

I had my brackets made by a local machinist using the drawings posted earlier.
Here is how I solved the shock clearance problem. Sorry if some of the pictures are a little dark

Here is where the shock normally mounts

This is where it needs to be moved back to for clearance of the banjo bolt.

The rear mounting flange has room to drill a new hole. The front flange needed this piece to be welded in place.

This is where I welded the small piece and then drilled new mounting holes.

Here is the new position with the bolt in the hole. Now there is no clearance issue at full lock even with wheel off the ground.

That's what WCF does on their big brake kits.
PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got a set of front calipers and brackets off a 1985 vette, now I need to find rotors. but why are '88 rotors used, why not 84-87? and did anyone design a new bracket to overcome the problems of the caliper clashing with the shock mount?

*edit: the consensus on the clashing issue was that it wouldn't normally happen, right?

[This message has been edited by PerKr (edited 03-09-2011).]

PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
made an adapter from a piece of scrap aluminium just to be able to test-fit the caliper. had to check again to see how it mounted (short memory). One thing I'm not very keen on doing is drilling out the threads in the spindle. Works fine for this mod, yes, but there might come a day when I would regret it. Does anyone have a workaround?

also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the two pairs of holes (one pair for mounting to the fiero spindle, one pair for the vette bracket) should be on two concentric circles, right?
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Frindly bump.
PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm working on a re-design of the adapter enabling the use of M14 bolts for the vette bracket and M12 fine-threaded bolts for the Fiero spindle. I'm still experiencing the caliper hitting the shock, but it seems to happen relatively close to the point where the protrusion on the fiero caliper bracket would normally hit the lower control arm. With some luck, there is space for some similar sort of steering stop so I can avoid damaging the shocks and/or calipers,
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock