Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  84-87 12" Corvette Brake Swap... (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
84-87 12" Corvette Brake Swap... by Jncomutt
Started on: 06-09-2005 09:43 PM
Replies: 279 (45614 views)
Last post by: adifferentlook on 01-28-2021 09:00 AM
1986GTV8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keeping this out of the archives.

For those who have finished this project, what would have done differently for the next time?

HAAA I own page five. Man this is a GREAT thread.

Any one have to re-do the adaptors to fit? Mine ar all off a bit.

John

[This message has been edited by 1986GTV8 (edited 06-23-2007).]

IP: Logged
PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2007 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering if anyone has noted any effect from the change in offset, or did you all get new rims as well?

This swap thread describes the process of upgrading 84-87 fieros (regardless of what brakes you end up using) well enough to deserve to stay on top.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2007 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a complete set-up like this (the WCF set that fits all years) that might be coming up for sale or trade after I sell my 88 Formula and get an 87GT. I could possibly do some trading for the 11 and 1/4 conversions because I'll need (2) of them (1 for my 85 as well whatever else i get) .
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2007 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PERKER.

Unless you had larger rims to begin with (17" I beleive), you will have to get larger ones.

The spare tire presents a new challange also. I here that you can mount the spare on backwards to get you home.

Plus this is aslso a BUMP to keep this alive!
tinymx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tinymxClick Here to visit tinymx's HomePageSend a Private Message to tinymxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of using the 97-04 corvette calipers and making my own brackets. Why not go with the newest stuff out there??? They are all over ebay!! Just need to get the abutment brackets with them.
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2007 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an anti-archive bump.

Any one making these out of steel?

John
CopperBender

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2007 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CopperBenderSend a Private Message to CopperBenderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wrong Thread.

[This message has been edited by CopperBender (edited 12-30-2007).]

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still waiting for someone just to make them. -Jason
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are you guys using for braided brake lines??
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bumpity bump
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero_silva:

What are you guys using for braided brake lines??

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Braided SS Straight from summit. DOT approved and fit great.

http://store.summitracing.c...700+115&autoview=sku

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 02-23-2008).]

Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Posted by Fierofreak00 on 12-31-2007
I'm still waiting for someone just to make them. - Jason

Jason probably thinks we've let him down. We're preparing to machine up brackets and centering rings and make them available. Jason has agreed to help us test fit the designs till we get them right.

We'll make them available in "sets", and you'll be able to get Fronts and Rears separate.

We've had a bit of a delay since we've had a mill down, and have been swamped at the start of the year. I think now we're just a couple of weeks away from doing the first prototype pieces.

Hang in there guys.

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT conversion just bought - big plans!
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gwain:

Jason probably thinks we've let him down. We're preparing to machine up brackets and centering rings and make them available. Jason has agreed to help us test fit the designs till we get them right.

We'll make them available in "sets", and you'll be able to get Fronts and Rears separate.

We've had a bit of a delay since we've had a mill down, and have been swamped at the start of the year. I think now we're just a couple of weeks away from doing the first prototype pieces.

Hang in there guys.

YAY!! Thanks for the update Marc! -Jason
Kostarossa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KostarossaSend a Private Message to KostarossaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

I am trying to install the rear rotors but it is touching as you can see at the photo.

Is this the right rotor? From what I see in the photos the rotor should have a cone and not a cylinder shape like mine. Does anyone has a port number please?

thanks
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rear Rotor is wrong. It should be WITHOUT heavy duty brakes.
Kostarossa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KostarossaSend a Private Message to KostarossaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you please supply me with the right part number. I am in Greece and there is none in stock here to try them out.

thx
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bump for you.

FieroBobo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an '88 GT.

I know that the 88s are not exactly the same as the '84-87s. Could some one tell me that the differences are between the '88 and the '84-'87 Fieros with regards to the brakes? I have a nice set of forged 16" wheel, (that I want to keep) on the car.
I would really like to put a set of 12" C5 rotors & calipers up front and a set of 12" C4 calipers and rotors on the back. I don't know if this is possible or if it has been done before. Any information or assistance on putting 12" vette brakes on an '88 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

~~Bob

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry if it was mentioned in this thread but, whats the estimated total cost of this swap using the parts you've listed?
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to see if anyone has heard from cheetah.. I would like to purchase his adaptors..

Also, I would like to ask, since i have collected all my parts except the rotors.. I will be purchasing rotors front and back for the 88-96 vette to go on the fiero front and back respectively?

When you guys say drill out the holes on the spindle, you mean the 2 holes on each spindle that mount the bracket right??
PFF
System Bot
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2008 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bump.

Was there somone in Titusville FL that was working on adaptors?

Found the info. Read below.

Hang in there guys.

[This message has been edited by 1986GTV8 (edited 05-25-2008).]

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2008 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986GTV8:

A bump.

Was there somone in Titusville FL that was working on adaptors?

Found the info. Read below.

Hang in there guys.

I haven't heard from Marc (Gwain) since this last post. I belive he may have lost interest in this. Oh well, the search continues. -Jason

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 05-25-2008).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could someone make adaptors for 13" Corvette brakes?

Are they much more expensive than 12" brakes?

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Could someone make adaptors for 13" Corvette brakes?

Are they much more expensive than 12" brakes?

I bought the 13" HD vette brakes as a whole set and another front-only set that are the regular 12" style. The rears are the same on both as far as I could determine. When I did a test fit of the 13" HD brakes inside my 17" wheels, I had less than 1/8" clearance between the caliper and some glued on wheel weights on the inside of the wheel. So if you want 13" fronts, they should fit in a 17" wheel. But it's VERY tight. I'm going with the 12" rotors on all four corners. I'll get some measurements and for a "+" I'll draw the brackets for you. Just be patient. It might take a while until I'm done with mine.

And "No" they aren't that expensive either. The calipers are the same. The abutment brackets are wider to allow for the wider rotor. Of course the rotor is also taller @ 12.8" or something like that.

1/2/2009 Correction: The HD calipers ARE NOT the same! They are about 1/4" wider to accomodate a thicker rotor.

[This message has been edited by 2002z28ssconv (edited 01-02-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2002z28ssconv:

I bought the 13" HD vette brakes as a whole set and another front-only set that are the regular 12" style. The rears are the same on both as far as I could determine. When I did a test fit of the 13" HD brakes inside my 17" wheels, I had less than 1/8" clearance between the caliper and some glued on wheel weights on the inside of the wheel. So if you want 13" fronts, they should fit in a 17" wheel. But it's VERY tight. I'm going with the 12" rotors on all four corners. I'll get some measurements and for a "+" I'll draw the brackets for you. Just be patient. It might take a while until I'm done with mine.

And "No" they aren't that expensive either. The calipers are the same. The abutment brackets are wider to allow for the wider rotor. Of course the rotor is also taller @ 12.8" or something like that.

When it's all said and done, I'm shooting for an 18" rim, so there should be plenty of clearance.

Thanks for drawing up the brackets. I really appreciate it.

Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done.

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the drawing of my adapters to put 12" C4 rotors AND CALIPERS onto the front of an 88 Fiero. I had to remove a section of the C4 abuttment bracket. But otherwise, they're easy peasy. I don't have the rears drawn yet.
Adapter_Brackets.xls

***Edit *** Done with the backs now. Enjoy!

1/2/2009 Update - Major design flaw with the 12" C4 mod that I put on our car. See my seperate thread before using my info to put C4 brakes on your 88.

[This message has been edited by 2002z28ssconv (edited 01-02-2009).]

PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2009 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bumping this back up, hoping some of you have gotten this conversion on the road and had some experiences with it.

any ideas on how to get around the hub centric vs lug centric issue? One of my wheels is lug centric (I could only get 3 wheels with ET38 and one with ET48, which requires the use of a 10mm spacer. will probably try to get a matching wheel with ET48 later on if I keep the car) and it does seem to be centered, but I haven't driven it past 30mph yet, so I don't know it it would be an issue for me...
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2009 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hang in there guys.

Now.....I have officially lost faith......-Jason

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait... Is there still hope for a 13" brake kit?
Shianne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2009 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShianneSend a Private Message to ShianneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just starting this upgrade. I may have brackets custom made if anyone is still looking for them. I have a friend that works at a machine shop and was saying once they get the machine programed not a big deal to make more. He will let me know costs in the next couple of days.

PFF
System Bot
Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2009 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a question about this swap. My friend said that if I am going to be doing suspension work I might as well swap to the 88 cradle and suspension. That was an overal better suspension geometry so I agreed. He said I should also swap to 12" Vette rotors like these.

Another friend says that I cannot use the C4 calipers if I swap the rear end to 88. If this is true, does anyone have any idea what I should do?
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2009 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Samohtneas:

... He said I should also swap to 12" Vette rotors like these.

That's only for the '88.
http://realfierotech.com/ph...opic.php?f=3&t=16469

Another friend says that I cannot use the C4 calipers if I swap the rear end to 88. If this is true, does anyone have any idea what I should do?

You can use C4 calipers but need different brackets for the '88. The e-brake won't work.
http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/096791.html

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 06-04-2009).]

fierodustin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustinSend a Private Message to fierodustinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year corvette do the rear caliper brackets come from? There are part numbers listed but I'm looking for used brackets.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should get them to match the same style as the calipers you are using. If you are using the calipers with the ebrake, then the brackets should be from 88-96 as well.
fierodustin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustinSend a Private Message to fierodustinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
makes sense, thanks
fierodustin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2009 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustinSend a Private Message to fierodustinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey if anyone wants to do this swap, I just got a great deal on calipers and brackets, even pads from the corvette forum. check the classified section out, there are quite a few guys parting out corvettes.
Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2009 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you post a link to the thread for the brakes? Things tend to move pretty fast in the mall and not everyone uses the WTS: or WTB: tags
fierodustin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2009 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustinSend a Private Message to fierodustinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry, i meant in the corvette forum's classified section. A guy named Ralph emailed me saying he as tons of corvette break parts and is located in Shelbyville IN. His email is indianavette@aol.com
Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i was curious if the lines on the master cylinder had to be swapped? ON the corvette master cylinder the smallest hole is on the front of the master cylinder and the larger bore line is on the back of the master cylinder, whereas the fiero is opposite, the larger line is on the front of the distrubition block and the smaller line is on the back. I would assume the larger line is for the front brakes and the smaller line is for the back.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock