Started on: 10-26-2003 07:50 PM
Replies: 166 (18922 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 07-25-2023 08:14 AM
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2003 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally decided to give this a try after seeing it discussed here a lot. First some pictures of why I needed to do this. Apparently the previous owner punched the roof at least once.

Not the worst I've seen but definitley on its way.

------------------

Dwayne Mohr
84 SC Red
87 GT 5sp Silver
(Formerly FieroSoul, member since 2001)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2003 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First remove the seat belt retainer bolts. Use a T-45 torx bit.
You don't have to have air tools but they help here.

Next remove the single screw on the door pillar and slip a screw driver behind the panel to release the trim fastner at ear level.
Finally slip the seatbelts out of the slot on the backside of the side panel. There is a small metal clip that holds the panel secure.

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 10-26-2003).]

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2003 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1MohrFiero

4363 posts
Member since Apr 2003
Remove both side panels. It seems to work best if you gently bend them down from the top first. Then slip them inward and out.

Next comes the roof trim and front pillar. This is a frustrating and delicate part. Expect to break a clip or two but don't worry the panel seems to hold in-place from tension and unless you break them all it will not be noticable.
Start by prying gently down on the trim from outside the door.

Then pull outward when the clip releases.
After these are loose, work the pillar support down and in toward the center of the car while using the screw driver to gently pop the two clips in the pillar out.

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2003 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1MohrFiero

4363 posts
Member since Apr 2003
Now we will remove the accessories that are holding the liner up. I started with the sunvisors first. Remove the 3 screws that hold them. I found it easier to remove the visor from the mount first.

Now take the overhead console down. There are four hidden screws. 2 are in the hole where the visor rod snaps in.

The other two are hidden behind the outside light covers. Gently pry them out to find these.

Unhook the single wiring connection and the console is off.

By now the only thing supporting the liner is the two coat hooks in the back if you have them.
If not your head is probably supporting it. Let it rest on the tops of the seats and the rearview mirror while you slide out.
Then gently work the liner out of the car. Careful, it is made of thin pressed fiberglass and very delicate after all these years. It helps to have rolled your car windows down for clearance.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2003 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1MohrFiero

4363 posts
Member since Apr 2003
We are halfway there. Well maybe a third. Here are some pics of the board out of the car.
The backside...

Some details...

Sunvisor mount
The damaged area on mine which I repaired with fiber glass.

The brake light cut out...
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2003 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1MohrFiero

4363 posts
Member since Apr 2003
Next we gently pull off the old liner material. It came off pretty easily and left a black semi-sticky foam residue on the liner board. So use a stiff brush to scrub that away. Don't get overly zealous and break the liner!

After this is thoroughly cleaned, test fit your material. You can find it at many auto parts stores. I got mine from Hancocks Fabrics for $8.97 per yard. 1 yard was almost a perfect fit. I had very little to trim away.

Fold half the material to one side, like in the picture above then spray the exposed side of the liner board and back of the material with a good spray adhesive. Once again there are many choices available at auto stores, Hancocks, Lowes and Home Cheapo. I bought 3M Super 77 at Lowes because it got good reviews here on the forum. Let the adhesive cure of a minute or so before the next step.

Gently fold the material back into place and smooth it into the contours of the liner with the flat of your hands. Too much pressure or pointed finger work could leave permanent marks.
Presto...sort of.

Let it dry some. Trim and fold around the edges. Mark the holes for the visors and coat hooks. Then, as they say in the instruction books...installation is the reverse of removal.

bryson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2003 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man! That looks great! I want to get rid of my sunroof now! Definitley a (+) for you! That was a great write up, thanks for the information.
--Bryson

------------------
88 Fiero GT Quad4 Turbo...It has begun
88 VW GTI 16v ($300 driver/autox MACHINE!)
90 Olds Calais International H.O. (donor car)
88 Fiero Formula (parts car)

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2003 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!! I'll give you a plus for that, good write up!

Tiny stupid stuff:

I will say, I dunno about that super 77. I have used it on all my sunroof headliners with no problem at all. The people I know that used it on solid roofs had problems with the 'hump' eventually starting to sag. Solid roof guys may want to consider rubber cement or something along those lines. Also, a T45 works, but I believe the correct size is a T-47

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2003 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent, Dwayne! You did a nice job on the headliner...and a nice job on the writeup and pics, too! Now...when are you going to do a sunroof-equipped car, so that I can see how to do mine?

------------------

Mike...86 GT 4 Speed
"Sucks to be me..."

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up! Definatly worth a plus.

I do have to second the warning about super 77. I used it on mine and it only lasted a few weeks, it was way harder to do the second time! I knew better too since my friend that works at an upholstery shop warned me (sometimes I don't always listen, LOL). Reglued it with the glue he uses at the shop and it held well. I believe he uses contact adhesive, like you would glue formica with.

If you have a sunroof it really isn't that big of an issue, the side trim will keep it from saging.

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, I hope you guys are wrong about the adhesive. It will go faster the second time around but I don't want to do it too often!
PFF
System Bot
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank you very much, i started this job last week and got stuck on picture 9. now i have a clue how proceed without damaging anything.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lurker I have some other detail pics if you are interested. BTW, thanks everyone for the positive comments.
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2003 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do a lot of these headliners and the spray can adhesive will last a few weeks before it starts to sag so here is a professional salution to this problem.Go to Home Depot and get the medium size can of contact cement with two cheap paint brushes then paint the cement covering all area on the headliner also on the back of the liner material then let it dry about 20 to 30 mins then carefully apply the liner from the middle out to the corners and there is no chance for error because once you lay it down it will stick for life.

------------------
Tuners of the Quickest 4.9
12.51@118 mph

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

I can't really tell here - did you coat the fiberboard headliner with resin? If you use resin to stiffent the board, can you still get it into the vehicle?

Good job, BTW - it looks brand new!

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, I only used the resin as a repair on the backside and to strengthen it in some weak points. You are right, the board needs to flex to fit properly. Thanks for the compliment.
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just pulled mine, it's an '84 with sunroof. there are 2 clips about 2 inches forward of the rear edge of the panel that go up into the roof frame. aside from that and the plastic trim strip around the opening, i'm not seeing any difference from the non-sunroof. unfortunately the "general purpose spray adhesive" i bought specifically says "not for use on headliners".
back to the store!

they exchanged it for a can of permatex headliner adhesive, which i'm trying now. i will report results.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 10-28-2003).]

Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

Man, I hope you guys are wrong about the adhesive. It will go faster the second time around but I don't want to do it too often!

I did mine the first time with Super 77 - it lasted about a week before it started falling down. Wish I'd read the forums more carefully first...

TennT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TennTSend a Private Message to TennTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job Dwayne. I plan on doing my 88 soon. It has a sunroof.
When you gonna come up and let me see the car?
Ducks'll be flying soon and we plan to flood the fields before long, so bring a gun.

TG

DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your right, the job will go faster the second time around. I know because I have a solid roof and I used the 3M Super 77 and mine lasted about a month. I have not redone it again yet, I just pulled it out.

I suspect that the tension from the headliner being streched over the humps eventually pulls it loose.

------------------
--Dillon
Green 1987 GT 5spd
Black 1987 SE V6 Auto

"And this one time, on the Fiero Forum..."

AndyLPhoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyLPhotoClick Here to visit AndyLPhoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to AndyLPhotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice write-up. I can't speak for the 77 spray, but if you do have to redo it, I can highly recommend 3M Super Trim Adhesive 8090. It was recommended by an Upholstery shop that I asked about adhesives used in the industry. I used it on mine and it's been up there over 2 years, and not a hint of letting loose.
PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where were all these negative 77 guys when I searched the forum a few weeks ago? Oh, well if it falls, then I will try the contact cement or this 8090 stuff. Like I said above lots of choices.

TG, I am planning to hunt some deer around Newborn during the T'giving break. Maybe I can swing by then. Bust a few ducks for me.

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well while doing a sunroofed headliner, do you cut the hole for the sunroof before or after the fabric is on the board?

Matt

------------------

ManiMack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero go fast:

Well while doing a sunroofed headliner, do you cut the hole for the sunroof before or after the fabric is on the board?

Matt

I cut mine after, worked out great.

I did everything the same as 1MohrFiero. I did mine in leather though.

I have heard mixed reviews on super 77 over the past few years here. Some people say its worked for years, other say it lasted a month or two. I used it on my sunroof fiero and no problums so far. 4 months an counting .

If you have a sunroof super77 is probably fine. But if you have a sold roof, you might want to use contact cement.

I would think contact cement would be a real PITA though. It has to be tough to get no wrinkles or creases using the stuff.

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero go fast:

Matt

cut the hole after.

------------------

ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with cutting the hole after.
Less mistakes, just be carefull not to strech the material juring the cutting or you might have to start over. A good sharp razor and a lot of patience are a must.
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used 3M FoamFast 74 spray adhesive on the last 4 or 5 I've done over the past 7 years without failures. FoamFast 74 is made for foam backed fabric and sprays on stringy like a spider web. You'll have about 10 minutes to adjust the fit of the fabric before it sets up.

On my 85GT without a sunroof the headliner has two clips (maybe just one, can't remember) just about above your head that clips to a tab in the roof panel. I don't remember my 85SE sunroof headliner having these clips.

AndyLPhoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyLPhotoClick Here to visit AndyLPhoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to AndyLPhotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carrolles:
On my 85GT without a sunroof the headliner has two clips (maybe just one, can't remember) just about above your head that clips to a tab in the roof panel. I don't remember my 85SE sunroof headliner having these clips.

My '84 had the clips as well. I looked at the pictures above, and it would appear that the clips may be present on models without the coat hooks to hold the back end in place.

DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Carroles, where did you find that foamfast 74?
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still holding fast so far. ;D
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1Mohr, you got a PM
PFF
System Bot
JacobHaley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JacobHaleySend a Private Message to JacobHaleyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MiniMack, where did you get the leather?
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i got my sunroof headliner back in, it's not perfect but it looks ok. if i ever do it again i'll be more careful trimming around the big hole. i'll have pictures in a couple of days.

------------------
'84 2m4 se, a work in progress http://www.mtsu.edu/~mkr2c/fiero.htm

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great news lurker. I look forward to the pictures. I hope I helped some.
ManiMack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JacobHaley:

MiniMack, where did you get the leather?

Got it at a local fabric store. Its black and very thin.

I had to clean up my headliner board really nicely, and clearcoat it so it would hold. Took a while but looks nice!

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is *great* info!
I'm in the process of redoing my interior. Have the seats, console and dash out, already. Was just about to start pulling out plastic trim and the headliner.
Thanks for taking the time.

Raydar

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-08-2003).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2003 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive done many of them in OEM fabric and Ferraro is naughahyde. I ALWAYS use contact cement straight into my paint spray gun. I have never had one come down, even when I tried to get it off. Be warned though, make sure you like what you have, if you want to change it, you have to buy a new board or cover over it because you will never get it back off.

I personally recommend Weldwood (DAP) contact cement. Make sure you get the 'original formula' yellow. The white one isnt worth a crap. A quart is less than $5 at Home Depot.

BTW great write up and WITH PICS (always helps)

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-09-2003).]

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2003 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Roger and Raydar! BTW the super 77 is definitely crap. It is already starting to let loose in places. Eveyone take this warning, it may say it works on foam backed cloth but don't count on it.

------------------

Dwayne Mohr
84 SC Red
87 GT 5sp Silver
(Formerly FieroSoul, member since 2001)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2003 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jacob, fabric store across the street has any material you want, your welcome to use my gun to spray the glue. Just let me know in advance when you want to do it. Im home most weekends now...no more shows By the way theres a COFE club meeting at Hooters this Sunday afternoon at 1pm. Other girls in the club will be there so bring your wife with ya and show off your V8
JacobHaley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JacobHaleySend a Private Message to JacobHaleyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Roger, I might just take you up on that offer. I'm doing a lot of work on my interior this winter.

For those of you who don't know already, Roger is a great guy! He builds nice cars too!

Oh btw, my brother saw you in the Ferarro the other day and was really impressed. He loves 308s.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock