Redo a headliner with me by 1MohrFiero
Started on: 10-26-2003 07:50 PM
Replies: 166 (18910 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 07-25-2023 08:14 AM
Madscanner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
T_M

Many Thanks - will make it one of my projects over the winter.

------------------
The Madscanner
'85 SE 2M6 Auto

IP: Logged
The ROK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2007 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The ROKSend a Private Message to The ROKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am tempted to try this. My headboard is in good condition with no dings or fingerprints. Only thing wrong is my headliner is torn and not sticking to the board. How would you do this with a sunroof??
Jrgicehc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2007 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i used the 3M super trim adhesive on my chrysler new yorker with a roof center console that also needed to be covered (had a bunch of curves, that was a pain). but i never had a problem with it, it held strong for the year afterwards i had it. but i also used like 3 cans. looked great too.
Carrolles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used 3M FoamFast 74 with great results on 10 to 15 headliners through the years. it's made for foam backed fabric. I got it at Hancock Fabrics for about $10.00 per spraycan. I believe I can get two headliners out of a can including headliners on full size cars.

Good luck
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump in time for spring projects.
Fastkx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastkxSend a Private Message to FastkxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up, need to do this myself right now.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i used fibreglas cloth an resin to repair and stiffen up my badly damaged headboard .i worked the resin into it pretty much everywhere and it is fairly stiff but i didnt find it hard to get in the car.i then covered it with burlap using 3m spray 90 adhesive and painted it with metallic black paint.been up 2 years now with no problems.cheap fix and gives a different look .

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2007 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in the USA Bump.
vballman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2007 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vballmanClick Here to visit vballman's HomePageSend a Private Message to vballmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a + for you! i wish I had see it before i did mine though, but i did do exactly how you did yours. now to find the fabric and a good contact.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2007 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by perry rhodan:

Ok I will redo my headliner soon....I need some more info.

Is it possible to reuse the original headliner fabric (already on the headline panel) with good result or it's mandatory to use new fabric?

Whats the name of the fabric used to do the original factory headliner?

Where I can find this fabric?Can I find it in fabric store or other places?

Can I glue directly to the panel the headliner fabric? and is it the best choice?

Or do I have to put a sheet of foam between the fabric and the headliner panel? And whats the best material to put between and where it is sold?

If I've read correctly, the best choice if you have a paint spay gun is to use contact cement, but the best spay can choice is 3M Super Trim Adhesive 8090.

Thanks for your help.

I always use spray gun with contact cement. Trick is NOT to put it on heavy. I take a quart of cement DAP Weldwood Original for Laminates, thin it with less than 1/2 pint of laquer thinner and spray it directly out of gun set at nearly closed pattern...not fanned. Spray a coat on both surfaces. It should come out stringy almost like silly string. Let it dry for a few minutes and then stick it on. I at first did my Ferrari kit in oem fabric, but later decided to do it in vinyl. I could not pull it off more than an inch from the edges even with heat. So I just put the vinyl on with same method right over the oem (padding?). It stayed just fine for next 6 years then I sold the car. Im assuming its still there. This is also the way i put commercial floor carpet to the ceiling of custom coaches, bookmobiles, mobile police ops. That carpet was so heavy it took 5 or 6 of us to lift it into the vehicle. Not one I know of ever came loose. Some say its overkill, but I like that better than redoing it every other year.

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Re bump to keep it alive.
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my recent job using suede. Used 3M spray. The previous one was placed with that and lasted over 10 years.

More details here:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068098.html

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 11-21-2007).]

Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Madscanner:

T_M

Many Thanks - will make it one of my projects over the winter.

And, after another 11 months, the job was done....

Ciao!

------------------
The Madscanner
'85 SE 2M6 Auto

sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TTT
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3M #90 spray that I used on my headliner in 2004 is still holding.
Tiny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinyClick Here to visit Tiny's HomePageSend a Private Message to TinyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok part bump to keep alive part question.

So i have the headliner pulled from my parts car to work on and in case I screw something up. My plan is to glass it to help it reinforce it, but im debating on using leather or glassing a bit more and painting to match the exterior. Any thoughts or comments? Has anyone done this?

------------------
S.A.R.S. Drive it like you stole it

Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a sunroof or not?

I considered some reinforcing when I re-covered mine last year. In the end, I didn't reinforce it because it was stiffer after putting on the leatherette than it was before, and I wanted to retain enough flexibility so that it wasn't a PITA to put back in place.

Has anyone installed one of the new fibreglass backed Fiero Store headliners yet?

------------------

'85 SE 2M6 automatic
'84 SE 2M4 manual
(and trying to buy an Indy...)

Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2008 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+ for the how to!

I am installing my carbon fiber headliner tomorrow. This post will definitely save me some time looking for screws and breaking some clips.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TTT
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a good way to do this with vinyl? Ive tried and It doesnt seem to conform to the shapes without wrinkling horribly its a pretty strechy vinyl too but im getting beyond frustrated with it any tips or links to guides to redo headliners in vinyl?
vballman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vballmanClick Here to visit vballman's HomePageSend a Private Message to vballmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am thinking of going with vinyl on mine, so any info on them would be great!
PFF
System Bot
den7bronco1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for den7bronco1Send a Private Message to den7bronco1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any body know where i can get a good used headliner board for an 86 se with sunroof and third brake light?, i know about the fiero store and i was thinking about getting the abs that comes covered but heard on here that the light grey looks more tan than grey. if thats true i will be disappointed after spending the 200.00 + it costs. they also have the fiberglass one for 100.00 but that one dont come covered and the 3rd brake light has to be cut out, and after you buy the material to finish the job or pay someone to do it your almost about back up to 200.00 again. my board broke up into about 10 pcs. after being soaked by sunroof leak, so i wasn't even going to try to salvage it. looking for one already done in light grey factory style that i can install right out of the box! let me know thanks, kevin
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFiend:

Is there a good way to do this with vinyl? Ive tried and It doesnt seem to conform to the shapes without wrinkling horribly its a pretty strechy vinyl too but im getting beyond frustrated with it any tips or links to guides to redo headliners in vinyl?

On page 3 RACE did his in vinyl. Shoot him a PM or email. Maybe he can help.

------------------

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if anyone has redone their sunshade yet? For
the sunroof owners that use the sunshade, most of the problem
is with the dropping cloth on the sunshade. The cloth is sewen to
the backer board too. I see the FS has reproduction ones, but
was curious if anyone out there has a solution.
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

the part i messed up:

any suggestions on how to keep this from happening?
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump....wanting to redo headliner this weekend
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*anti archive bump*
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to save in my favorites.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 07-14-2010).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After using all the diffrent spray can glues including the 20 buck a can 3m stuff I did like roger said to do and I went to harbor freight and got a cheapo gun and went and got the wellwood contact glue for countertops at home depot and I havent had a problem since plus the stuff works great on simulated leather and seat type foam!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Motivational thread! I need to do this to the 86 GT!!! It has "diaper sag".
PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to bring it back to life.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFiend:

Its almost as easy as doing it with foamed cloth. If you never done it before, might take a few extra hands to help hold the glued vinyl or leather up off of the board. Let the center drop in till it touches, then work it gently out towards each side while they hold up the ends. DONT STRETCH IT, just let it fall and press it into the nooks and crannies. MAKE SURE you let the glue dry till its dry to the touch before you try to put them together. Im so proficient at it now, I mostly do it all by myself. If the glue is wet, it wont stay. Like Ive said already, Ive done this with cars, custom motor homes, planes and boats for many years without a single problem. The DAP glue is permanent and will never come down if you follow the instructions. AGain, dont stick it down wet...it will fail. Ill also say again, even doing headliners in heavy carpet it works perfect. Ive done everything from bookmobiles, police mobile offices, Red Cross bloodmobiles, mobile medical buses, to stars custom built RVs. Ive never had a single failure. To the poster who says this glue pulled his vinyl apart...the glue worked so well, it pulled the backing off of the cheap vinyl he must have used. Ive never had that happen. Ive seen cheap carpet and vinyl that you could pull the cloth backing off of without any trouble. A lot of customizers are now using the coarse tweed like fabric on panels, mostly because its amazingly formable to all kinds of shapes...even dashes and consoles, without bunching up or wrinkling.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 07-17-2012).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1+ year bump! Hey, it's in my favorites OK?

a_bartle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did my headliner about a month ago, yeah it was a nasty job (my backer board was in 4 pieces, patched it with the the fiberglass resin and then went all around the outside of it with the resin to beef the board up).

There has been all kinds of debate about what glue to use, which gets confusing! The place I purchased my material sold me the 3M 77 product, but after reading what others used, I didn't feel confident with that product. Others have said the 3M 90 is great, along with lots of other products from various manufactures. I ended up with 3M Headliner And Fabric Adhesive, Part # 38808. I figured 3M is a trusted brand, and this product is "called out" specific for this application, so it must be what they recommend. Who knows, it might be the same as what you'd find in the 3M 90 or even the 77, but at least the #38808 is specific for its purpose.

Anyway, it's not been long enough for me to say how well the #38808 glue is holding up, but thus far it's good. I followed the instructions to the letter (coat both the material and the backer board, then wait a little while for the glue to set up, then carefully mate them together....) and it turned out well. The project sure took me a long time, getting all the molding off and then repairing the backer board (and filling in where the sunvisor mount crushed the backer board...etc., etc.). So my advice is go slow, allow the project to spoil your weekend; you'll be happier with the results if you don't try to rush it.

I've got two more cars to do down the road, might go faster now that I've done it, and I'm "hoping" that the backer boards are in one piece this time...(even so I'll still re-enforce them with the fiberglass resin so they'll last).
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not over here much so I never saw this until now, but I will second the contact adhesive for the headliner material, that's what we used at the factory when I did headliners, long ago and far away, think late 70s.

those days just the outer edges of the headliner were glued the center hang from wires that were supported from clips on the sides if I remember right, remember this was decades ago.

anyway we would hang the headliner on a board half and half on each side of the board that swiveled so we could spray the outside of it that need to be glued with a spray gun, then let them sit until the car it was going in came by. then another guy up the line would go around with a bucket of contact cement and brush it on the areas would come in contact with the stuff we sprayed on the liner, allowing some time for both to set before they were to get used.

then we would hang the headliner by the wirers and stretch the outer edges to the glued part of the roof that had been previously been contact cement.

so use contact cement.

great write up by the way.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fresh bump

------------------

Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up Dwayne, and all the others that added info. I'll be doing my headliner this winter and after reading this I feel confident that I can do it the right way
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Lou. Its hard to believe this is 11 years old!
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget to check out the Buddy Craig videos on YouTube. Lots of good hints the helped me through mine with good results!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock