Started on: 10-26-2003 07:50 PM
Replies: 166 (18910 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 07-25-2023 08:14 AM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2005 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still say to use the contact cement. My black naugahyde headliner has been up in the Ferraro for over 7 years and not the slightest hint of ever coming loose. Sets closed up out in the hot sun a lot too. Cant beat $3.50 @ quart either. I used it on the whole interior of the GT40, ceiling, doors, trim panels, floor carpet, etc. Also what I used to build complete interiors in motor homes and conversion vans. Never have had a single failure I know of.
IP: Logged
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2005 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After cleaning the crumbled foam ( I use a ScotchBrite pad) you can repair tears and breaks with nylon window screen. Just spray with glue and work the screen material like fiberglass. It stays flexible and is easier to work the headliner afterward. If you glue the screen to the upholstered side of the liner it also makes a good reinforcement of the areas where hardware is mounted.

The local upholstery shop told me they use the 8090 because it holds up to our hot temps here. Mark the screw holes by sticking a toothpick through from the back side.

Pay attention to the orientation of sunvisor mounts before you remove them.

[This message has been edited by texasfiero (edited 05-25-2005).]

GoFast85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2005 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GoFast85Send a Private Message to GoFast85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

First remove the seat belt retainer bolts. Use a T-45 torx bit.

I beleive that it is a T-50 torx - just in case someone has to go out and buy one special

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2005 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have always used standard Contact cement as used for counter tops etc and have never had problems with them coming down. Cheap by the quart can. Just use some Wax paper to keep it from sticking as you work another area of the fabric down and remove as you go, you should have no problem.

Click on Custom Headliner
http://www.geocities.com/tzfbird/tzfbird.html

DR

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 06-01-2005).]

Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
8088 was what I used for the *third* re-do of the headliner in my red coupe. First time I used Super 77; that didn't last a week before it started coming loose. Next time, I used some of the spray upholstery glue that came with the Mr. Mikes seats - should be good stuff, right? It did last longer than the 77 but two weeks later it was time to redo the third time.

The 8088 has been holding it up for over a year now with no problem. When I redo the headliner in my gold car I'll use it again - this is the adhesive that 3M designed to hold up foam headliners...

Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:I still say to use the contact cement. My black naugahyde headliner has been up in the Ferraro for over 7 years and not the slightest hint of ever coming loose. Sets closed up out in the hot sun a lot too. Cant beat $3.50 @ quart either. I used it on the whole interior of the GT40, ceiling, doors, trim panels, floor carpet, etc. Also what I used to build complete interiors in motor homes and conversion vans. Never have had a single failure I know of.

Took your advise...again! I just did mine over and used contact cement. It was tricky job because I converted my solid one into a cut-out for the sunroof clip I just installed.

Strange Brew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Strange BrewSend a Private Message to Strange BrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 2 cents for what it's worth.......at the shop I work at, we've tried most of the 3m spray & non spray adhesives. The highest strength adhesive they make in either commercial or consumer grade is the spray 90. We haven't had a failure in over 12 years of using it and most of our uses expose it to all types of extreme weather conditions. Our most common use is bonding .055 stainless steel to aluminum, although we've used it for many other things as well.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2005 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep this going. 8088 seems to be the best spray glue recommendation and contact cement is a sure winner. On the torx both 45 and 50 will work. If you start with the smaller and it starts to strip you may get a second chance with the 50.

------------------

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished doing my own headliner but used black vinyl instead of fabric. ($20 total cost) I have a leather interior and thought that it would fit the look of the car better.

I did not reinstall the hanger hooks. I have only used them one time in three years and they do not benefit the look of the car. My next project will be the sun visors.

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 09-19-2005).]

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Race that looks really good. I have been thinking of that myself since I redid my seats with Mr Mikes in midnight and dark gray. Same colors as yours just reversed.

On the sunvisors, they are really easy. I reinforced mine with some new cardboard. I didn't have sewing machine that was heavy enough to sew through all that so I took them to an upholstry shop in town. They sewed them for me for $6. The whole thing including the drive to the shop took less than an hour. Do a search someone has already done a thread on this redo.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
RACE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I will do a search. It looked really cool without sun visors and I almost left them off but I actually use them so they were necessary. I will post another photo when they are done.

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 09-20-2005).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

+ to the first guy who can pm the link to me. I used the search button and came up with nothing. - This line will be removed when we get a winner.

Here ya go:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050119-2-055234.html

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

Thanks, I will do a search. It looked really cool without sun visors and I almost left them off but I actually use them so they were necessary. I will post another photo when they are done.

+ to the first guy who can pm the link to me. I used the search button and came up with nothing. - This line will be removed when we get a winner.

at my height the sun visors never get used - so i always leave em off - looks awesome without them

RACE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tesmith66, sorry that I could not give you another +. You already have one from me for the steering wheel adapter.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2005 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
first off, this is a great write up.
i'm attempting to redo my t-top headliner this weekend.
i took it out and it broke into two pieces. what type of resin/fiberglass
stuff do i need to fix it. i know i shouldn't do the whole headliner cause
it needs to flex to get back into the car.
how much material will i need?
what adhesive do i use?

thanks,
thomas...

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thomas,
I would buy a yard of materialto be safe. You definetly will not use all of it with a T top. Use the left over material to do the sun visors. As for glue the contact cement works pretty good, stay away from whatever that first stuff was that I used. It is an easy job that gets great results if you take your time.
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:
the part i messed up:

overall it went well, and if i ever do it again i'll be more careful.

how do you cut the corners so it doesn't to this.

another question. i'm using vinyl material do i need to
lay down some type of foam/felt first to hide any cracks.

thanks,
thomas...

motoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motomanSend a Private Message to motomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great thread! lots of good info here. My 85 fiero I bought a couple weeks ago didn't even have the cloth on it, it had already follen down and was just pulled off some time ago. I am doin alot of interior work as well as a V8 swap over the winter. This thread has alot of useful info. Where are you guys getting your material from? I know you can order the headliners but it sounds like most ppl are just going out and buying material. thats probly the best route to go eh? im not even sure what material I need as I dont' have anything to compare it too....
aqua-man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aqua-manSend a Private Message to aqua-manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most fabric stores carry some headliner material or leather / pleather that you can use.

Earl

GoFast85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GoFast85Send a Private Message to GoFast85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got finished doing mine and figured I would add to the wealth of into out there. All went well and I even cleaned the outside of the mouldings before I put them back into place. Looked at my finished job and found a dash of black sealer on the headliner. Looks like it came off of the inside of the side moulding, as I put it in place. I figured that if you couldn't see it then why clean it? Moral of the story?? Take the time and clean both sides of the molding.

[This message has been edited by GoFast85 (edited 10-04-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2005 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well my attempt at doing my headliner FAILED miserably.
i used vinyl and contact cement, not a good combination.
for some reason the contact cement loosen the backing
on the vinyl, so i pulled if off. my next attempt after taking
all the backing off the vinyl was to lay down some felt but
the pattern in the felt showed through the vinyl, so it came
off again. i went back to the store and bought the rest of the vinyl
they had for my third attempt. this time i would try the
spray adhesive. i put the vinyl on one end and proceeded to
do the other then notice that it looked like big air bubbles
under the vinyl had appear. now i have wasted 2 yards of
material and having to show for it. i guess i'll need to scrap
the vinyl and go to cloth. but i can't find any beechwood
headliner material or anything close around here. i guess i'll
have to have a professional do it.

thomas...

djbushman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2005 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for djbushmanSend a Private Message to djbushmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of choices!!:

-3M Super 77 (sucks)
-3M Foam Fast 74
-3M Super Trim Adhesive
-Contact Cement (overkill?)
-Alchemco Tac-IT
-3M 8088/8089
-E6000

Anyway, just a semi-bump. I think I'll try the Foam Fast 74 if I can find it.

-db.

Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2006 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just saw this one for the first time. Great subject!

Does anyone have a shot of their headliner without the visors? I may leave them off, too. Since my head is up in the sunroof, I won't be needing them...

KA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KASend a Private Message to KAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Word of caution with the contact cement. ( I just did my pickup )
It works good, but.. Don't press too hard! I pressed the cement through the foam backing and it stuck too well leaving finger tracks! looks like crap!

If using the spray adheasive, I found it works well if you are not shy about applying it. My first attempt failed because I was too cheap to buy a extra can and sprayed it on too thin.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^ I agree about the spray adhesive.

When I re-covered my headliner (plus the firewall cover and door panels), I used 3M #90 adhesive. And I applied it liberally to both mating surfaces. It's been about a year and a half, and it still looks good. It even survived the hot/humid Florida summer.

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2006 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not notice if someone posted this link, but thought I'd repost it anyway if it was: http://store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/
These guys seem to have just about everything, and their prices look pretty good.

Bob

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2006 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

I did not notice if someone posted this link, but thought I'd repost it anyway if it was: http://store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/
These guys seem to have just about everything, and their prices look pretty good.

Bob

thanks...
does anybody know if there beechwood is the '88 Fiero beechwood.
http://store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/medbeec.html

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'm giving it one more try before i let the professional handle it.
how cut the inside corners on the material so it will go up and
over and tuck into the t-top channel. i made some small cuts
but the material will not stretch enough to fit.

i know i could cut a deep enough V shape but that part would
show and that would bug me to death.

thanks...

edit: here is a photo (prvoided by jscott1) of my problem area.

[This message has been edited by Tom Slick (edited 04-25-2006).]

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump...
perry rhodan

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I will redo my headliner soon....I need some more info.

Is it possible to reuse the original headliner fabric (already on the headline panel) with good result or it's mandatory to use new fabric?

Whats the name of the fabric used to do the original factory headliner?

Where I can find this fabric?Can I find it in fabric store or other places?

Can I glue directly to the panel the headliner fabric? and is it the best choice?

Or do I have to put a sheet of foam between the fabric and the headliner panel? And whats the best material to put between and where it is sold?

If I've read correctly, the best choice if you have a paint spay gun is to use contact cement, but the best spay can choice is 3M Super Trim Adhesive 8090.

Thanks for your help.

PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump thump
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for project time
blkcofy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkcofySend a Private Message to blkcofyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Folks that have had success doing their headliner in vinyl or suede....did you guys use any kind of foam or material between the fiberglass? Has anyone used regular headliner material and then suede or vinyl over it? I just did my firewall in vinyl to match my Mr. Mike seats (Lambo Creme w/ Black pistol grip leather inserts) and want to do a black or cream suede headliner.

...and to think I was going to spend $260 for a new headliner!!
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't do it over the existing (or any) material. Strip it to the base board. Fit it if it needs it. Cover it with foam. Put the suede/vinyl on the foam. Take some pictures for this thread. Done.

Bob
Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2006 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All

A bit off-topic, but I am planning on installing a high-level brake light when I redo my headlining.

As my board will need a cutout for the light, can someone measure theirs when it is stripped out and let me know what the measurements are?

Also, how is the light fitting mounted and in which direction are the wires routed?

TIA

The Madscanner
Toaster_Man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2006 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Width: 5 5/8"
Length: There was a lot of material still on teh edge of my board, but it looks like its right at 2 1/2" from the end of the board.

As far as mounting and wiring the light, sorry. I didn't look too closely at that, all I did was pull my headboard out.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Bob

Bob:

Thanks for that link! It's got all kinds of usefull stuff that I need.

Much appreciated.

Nolan
Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toaster_Man:

Width: 5 5/8"
Length: There was a lot of material still on teh edge of my board, but it looks like its right at 2 1/2" from the end of the board.

As far as mounting and wiring the light, sorry. I didn't look too closely at that, all I did was pull my headboard out.

Hi T_M

Thanks for that - I guess what I need to know is whether the brake light is mounted on the headliner or not.

------------------
The Madscanner
'85 SE 2M6 Auto

Toaster_Man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2006 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that much I do know. The brake light and harware are mounted to the roof itself, I've been driving around without any headliner for awhile now with the light mounted. The plastic cover for the light mounts to the light hardware with those two screws, but if you measure it you'll notice that it is quite a bit wider than the headliner opening. That is because the cover and the coathooks are used to hold the headliner up in the rear (of course the coathooks aren't really needed, because the trim above the doors extends all the way to the rear window and hold teh headliner up at those corners).

The first couple months without the headliner drove me crazy. I left the brakelight cover off too, so whenever I hit the breaks, light would leak through the socket and light up the interior at night. It doesn't look like it from outside, but that lightbulb is very bright.

Also, I just checked, and the wires run directly over the the driver side B-pillar and run down behind the plastic trim piece and the frame.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock