Started on: 10-26-2003 07:50 PM
Replies: 166 (18865 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 07-25-2023 08:14 AM
lurker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
some pictures of my "new" sunroof headliner.
the back:

the front:

the part i messed up:

overall it went well, and if i ever do it again i'll be more careful.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 11-12-2003).]

IP: Logged
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good lurker. Weather up there looks nice too.

------------------

Dwayne Mohr
84 SC Red
87 GT 5sp Silver
(Formerly FieroSoul, member since 2001)

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kudos to both you guys! I'll be doing that this weekend.

Hey Mohr, you an Ole Miss fan? Kicking butt this year!

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am new here but you're right. I got to go to the Vandy game. What a blow out.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little trick to doing the sunroof cutout... after you install the headliner, cut out the opening and be sure theres is at least 2-3 inches of extra all around. Install the rubber retaining strip, Then go around the outside edge of the strip with a razor blade to trim off the excess. Remove the rubber strip, tuck the excess up and reinstall the rubber.
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this A.M. we had our first frost.

has anyone redone the sun visors? compared to my *new* headliner, they look mighty tired now.

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theogre has a nice right up on them in his cave (link at the top of page) but I haven't done mine yet. I have plans but just haven't had the time. You could go first this time lurker.
scrabblegod

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scrabblegodSend a Private Message to scrabblegodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been doing GM glue up headliners for years, and have always had great success using 3M Super Trim Adhesive. DO NOT use the general trim adhesive or you will be doing it over (ask how I know). I have done everything from Trans Ams to wagons and Blazers. The harsest part is getting the liner out of the car without breaking it on some models. Must have gone in before the glass.

Gene

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VIsors have to be sewn. Unless you have a heavy duty sewing machine you wont be able to. Auto upholstery shop did both of mine for $20 in black naugahyde. I took them the material.
Rob Ernst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2004 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rob ErnstClick Here to visit Rob Ernst's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rob ErnstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

VIsors have to be sewn. Unless you have a heavy duty sewing machine you wont be able to. Auto upholstery shop did both of mine for $20 in black naugahyde. I took them the material.

Got any pics of the naugahyde sunvisors?

Rob

Automoda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AutomodaSend a Private Message to AutomodaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I finished my own headliner adventures. Sure I have a convertible ) But I'm working on 2 other cars: My 3800 racer, and my mechanic's GT, which has a sunroof.

First, I dont know how to avoid breaking the sunroof headliners. I had to drop it down to get at some of the sunroof stuff, and left it propped on the top of the headrests and dash. The next week I found it in 6 pieces, just from the sagging of gravity. So to me, that says everyone should *always* reinforce their sunroof headliners when they take them out, even if its not broken yet. Here's a picture of what I did:

This headliner came out of one of my parts cars. Just sitting around it got broken in two pieces. I put down a couple layers of ordinary fiberglass and gobbed the resin on there. The fiber-board soaks it up, so if you can, get a gell type resin. Now you'll never have to worry about breaking the headliner when you reinstall it etc.

Now for my experiments...

On my car's headliner (no sunroof) I elected to lay a layer of fiberglass over the entire surface that the new material was to stick to. It made sense to me, since the fiber-board seems to be the weak link in the headliner problems. I imagine the very tiny and short strands of fiberglass just pull out easily. Some people may blame the glue, and indeed some glue may be to blame, but I just dont trust this fiber-board's strength. It took a whole afternoon to lay the fiberglass layer. It takes about $10-15 dollars worth of resin, and a few bucks worth of glass to do a headliner without the sunroof. After I had finished, I trimmed the edges with a razor blade before it got too hard. Then I let it sit for the week. Next I took a 40 grit bondo-buster and DA sander to it and knocked it as flat as reasonably possible. Once that was done, I filled the remaining holes with a thin layer of ordinary body filler (bondo) and sanded it flat. Then I wiped it down with some thinner to make sure it was super clean. Here's a picture:

Its a little heavier now that it has that thin layer of glass on it. But its very durable and I believe the glue will truely stick to it now. We'll see. I will update this link if I have problems.

The other headliner, with the sunroof, was treated a little differently. Covering the whole headliner with fiberglass is a lot of work, and grinding it down gets little bits of glass in your arms to itch. So for this headliner, I decided to simply use the resin and skip the glass. I painted tons of resin onto the underside of the headliner. My thinking is that it will bind those weak little strands of glass together and keep them from pulling out. I'm sure the glue will stick better to it than it would the raw dry fibers, and since the sunroof model doesnt have the indentations that put a lot of stress on the material, I think this will be a great fix. Time will tell. I will of course, report back if I see any problems this summer.

I got my materials for both headliners (order one yard each-- it comes in 52 inch wide rolls) at an upholstery supplier in Salt Lake for $5.50 per yard. The upholstery retail shops want $15.00 dollars per yard for the same stuff, and most dont keep it in stock.

I used a $5.00 can of TAC-IT "Neoprene Contact Upholstery Adhesive" from Alchemco. Its supposed to be very heat tollerant and is meant to glue foam headliners. I'm sure I wont see the same problems some of the others in the forum have seen with their glue choices (crossing fingers). Its a spray glue in a white can.

Spray a nice even layer on the headliner fiber-board, and a nice even layer on the material. Then get 2 friends to hold the material up and get it aligned. Have the friends hold the material vertically and get the back edge of the headliner started once its all aligned. Have them slowly lower the headliner material down as you press the material down with the palm of your had (dont use fingers--- may press the glue into the foam, leaving a permanent dent). Work forward from the back, paying attention not to create wrinkles (meaning keep from working from the edges-- work from the middle out).

Once you've got the headliner material glued down, flip it over and spray more glue on both the edge of the fiber-board and the foam so that, once it tacks off, you can wrap it up and over. Here's a picture:

You could also start the trimming at this point. I've noticed it takes a lot more material to wrap around than you might expect, so leave at least a good 1 1/2 or 2 inches of material to work with. Never trim all the way to any of the edges. And dont cut any of the sunroof material out until you have it in the car and can work with that rubber trim piece.

Here's a picture of the finished product:

Of course, read the "recovering headliner" link at the fiero.nl home page and all the other links for hints and ideas. Good luck!

------------------

87 Quad 4 HO convertible

PFF
System Bot
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lookin' good!
Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2004 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the write-up, Dwayne. Thought I'd post a pic of mine, covered in suede:

Flames on a Fiero isn't bad taste, is it?

------------------

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2004 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Nice work Automoda and Stinkin V8. Suede with flames...hmm...GT Dude this guy has THE headliner for you.
Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2004 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments. I messed up a bit, though.. The headliner trim wasn't on the car when I got it, and the headliner was pretty beat up (three pieces). Not knowing any better, I glued the suede to the headliner backing board around the sunroof opening! The board is pretty stiff so I may not need the suspension there. If it droops too much, I have enough scrap around to glue another strip around the back of the opening to put into the trim strip groove.

Wait until you see the rest of the interior...

Fiero~Spataro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero~SpataroSend a Private Message to Fiero~SpataroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is there any other way of getting the foam off without using a wire brush? Is there any laquer or thinner or something that i could use? ive never fiberglassed b4 so i dont wanna crack the headliner.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just used a stiff bristle brush like a bathroom brush. It didn't take uch scrubbing to get it off so I didn't break any fibre glass.

As an update to the adhesive part, the Super 77 finally gave way to the point that I pulled it out an redid it with contact cement. Let's see how long that lasts.

gaas88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2004 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gaas88Click Here to visit gaas88's HomePageSend a Private Message to gaas88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great posts! The headliner replacement is on my hit list of things to do this year and this will certainly help me. Thanks guys!
Gene
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2004 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero~Spataro:

is there any other way of getting the foam off without using a wire brush? Is there any laquer or thinner or something that i could use? ive never fiberglassed b4 so i dont wanna crack the headliner.

I've found that rubbing the board VERY LIGHTLY with steel wool will do a good job of taking off the old foam. You can get into the curves a lot better than with a brush.

Dave

Fiero~Spataro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero~SpataroSend a Private Message to Fiero~SpataroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is this cement ok? i looked everywhere for 3M trim adheasive but i cant find it
has anyone used this stuff? can i trust it? (FYI im recovering with vinyl)
Mastercraft all purpose contact cement
best on leather, metal, plastic laminates, rubber, wood
heres a pic

i know u love the bling bling escalade

------------------

*click to see my Fiero site*

[This message has been edited by Fiero~Spataro (edited 03-19-2004).]

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Test it first! Some contact cements will eat into the foam backing you're using. Hopefully you can spray it on, too.

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2004 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 84 with no headliner board in it, thus, the 2 clips that hold the board up in the back are also missing. I have a board, but still need the clips. Can someone tell me what they look like? Maybe post a pic of these clips? Thanks.
And-great work on all these jobs. Good writeups.
Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2004 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think they're the same type of plastic clips used on the A-pillar trim. They're also used on the rear bulkhead panel. If you don't get anything by the end of the day, PM me and I'll snap a pic once I get home.

I'm pretty sure you could substitute standard GM door panel clips, the serrated-looking push-in type.

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2004 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did mine along time ago, but you still get a "+" from me for a good detailed write up. Taking the time to take the pictures and give an explination how how the job is done that is the least that I could do for all your efforts, your end results look great.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2004 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stinkin_V8:

I think they're the same type of plastic clips used on the A-pillar trim. They're also used on the rear bulkhead panel. If you don't get anything by the end of the day, PM me and I'll snap a pic once I get home.

I'm pretty sure you could substitute standard GM door panel clips, the serrated-looking push-in type.

If that's the case, then I have it covered. Got quite a few of those, in different sizes laying about. I would just put coat hook up there, but the my 84 didn't come with them either, besides, I'd hit my head on them. Thanks.

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2004 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nevermind, I fingered them out....

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 05-18-2004).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2004 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so how many of you guys didn't bother putting the visors back in after finishing? I noticed that in the fiero i never used em and it looked so sharp with em removed... anybody other than 6'4" me?
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2004 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also put a layer of glass over the board on mine, and used the 8090 adhesive. It stiffened the board to a usable degree, gave a better surface for the adhesive, and enabled me to use a slightly heavier, grey denim-look fabric which almost perfectly matches the carpet. I decided to use the sun visors from the donor Eldorado (they have lighted mirrors) I got my 4.9 out of.

------------------
88 Formula, "Asphalt Aviator"

Celebrate Artesian New Year!!!

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2004 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump just to keep this fresh plus a lot of new good info here.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2004 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, this is one of the threads that Cliff needs to keep around in a read-only reference section, if there was one.

JazzMan

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quarterly keep out of the archives bump.
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pics of what we did with my sons car. Would work well with a non-sunroof or t top Fiero.

Just imagine the Fiero sig up there over your head. Hummmmm!

http://www.geocities.com/tzfbird/Headlinerpics.html

More information on the glue we used can be found from the root of the site. - or -
http://www.geocities.com/tzfbird/tzfbird.html choose Custom Headliner

DR

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 10-04-2005).]

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad this thread got dredged up again, I am adding it to my favorites :-)

I think I'm going to try something custom like Dodge did... probably flames and I might try two layers in different colors... or leave out the 3d effect and sew the two colors of cloth together first, then cover. Going to have to think about this a bit

I want flames on my 87 coupe headliner to go along with my flameball shift knob :-)

Automoda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutomodaSend a Private Message to AutomodaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah well I'm glad this got pushed up on the forum too. Because (cry) I have bad news on my headliner project. The frigging thing sagged again in the head humps! So obviously my glue choice was CRAP. Crap I say!

------------------

87 Quad 4 HO convertible

Intel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2005 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done headliners in a variety of cars over the past 6 years and always used 3M FoamFast 74 on the headliners that have a foam backside. People I know went the fast/cheap route and used different types of glue but they either got discolorations or it started to sag within a few months but I haven't had any problems with mine.
My local car-upholstery shop recommended FoamFast and they've been restoring collector cars for 40 years.
They also recommended 3M Fastbond 30 when applying vinyls on the internal door panels and on other hard surfaces.

------------------

J. Larsson, Supporting Member

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed all the comments about 3M Super77 adhesive. Well, I wouldn't trust it to hold up my headliner either. But I did try 3M Super90. The headliner has been in the car for almost 6 months now. It's held up so far.
SLagrec1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLagrec1Send a Private Message to SLagrec1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread has been extremely helpful! Add us to the "been there, done the headliner" list. Our headliner was in pretty bad shape. After some patch work last year we decided to bite the bullit and to replace it with the Fierostore fiberglass version.

Both Master Tuner and Roger recommended using contact cement so that's what we did. We played around with both the DAP original and non-flammable formula. I was a bit concerned about having to lay the foam down perfectly the first time. By experimenting I found out that 1) Roger is absolutely correct, the non-flammable formula doesn't stick well at all and 2) the original formula will allow you to make subtle, minor adjustments if you do it gently yet quickly.

For reference:
This works great: DAP Weldwood Original Contact Cement
http://www.dap.com/retail/retail_detail.cfm?catid=4&subcatid=8&prodhdrid=35

This doesn't work: DAP Weldwood Nonflammable Contact Cement
http://www.dap.com/retail/retail_detail.cfm?catid=4&subcatid=8&prodhdrid=37

------------------
Steve, 87 Fiero GT, Getrag w/Ultimate Shift Kit, Street Dreams drop spindles, Poly mounts, KYBs, Borla exhaust, Pioneer audio, DashScan

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am really glad this thread has been so helpful even though I made the mistake of using the wrong glue. At least no one else will do that after reading this. Thanks for kepping it alive.

------------------

84 Sport Coupe
87 GT 5 Spd

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
cone shark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2005 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cone sharkSend a Private Message to cone sharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone tried using 3m 8088? I had a can of 8090 in my hand today and directions said to not use
8090 on foam backed fabric and instead use 8088. I have 2 Fieros and one Saab 900 to do.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock