Swap '88 brakes on a '87 possible?.... by Gambit
Started on: 07-29-2014 09:28 AM
Replies: 4 (208 views)
Last post by: Gambit on 07-29-2014 06:51 PM
Gambit

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys, i live in the Netherlands and i want to upgrade my brakes. There are no grandam's here or Baretta's so i am limited in options. Also no public machine shops here so that just narrows it down to unlikely. So my next best thing is to switch the 87 calipers and rotors for the 1988 ones. I already bought a complete 1988 fiero caliper and rotor set and Fieroguru will make the hubs if i want to. But he wonders if you can get the calipers mounted on the 87? I dont know either!!! So does anyone done this before and still maybe have the brackets for revérence or possible sale? Thanks guys for the help, much appreciate that
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 rotors are larger in diameter and the caliper mounting points are different than the 87......
With that said, adapter brackets will be needed to perform the upgrade.
Perhaps you should consider going with Corvette rotors and 88 calipers (if you are running larger than stock diameter wheels), as the adapter brackets are more commonly found, as are the rotors.
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the best thing you can do to increase braking power on a stock system, it really helps! (see link below)

$100 brake upgrade

sardonyx247 sells the booster on this forum sells the booster ready to bolt in! No cutting/welding the bango! (see link below)

Upgraded Brake Booster

Also, you can used braided brake lines, but there are pro's & con's to that upgrade, search and read on the forum about those
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, it is not.
It only allows for less effort due to over boosting the system, and slightly higher line pressure.
And, at the sacrifice of control under panic or low traction situations.
It may feel like 'better' brakes, in reality they are just 'easier' brakes. Not the same thing.
To increase control and reduce braking distance, you need larger diameter rotors and more traction.
Gambit

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a s10 booster mounted already and SSbrakelines, complete front to back and to all 4 wheels.
But, in your opinion guys, will this upgrade work? I can make the brackets but will it line up?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock