4.9 engine swap parts/info by everett842m4
Started on: 07-26-2014 12:42 PM
Replies: 29 (887 views)
Last post by: Will on 08-03-2014 12:11 PM
everett842m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for everett842m4Send a Private Message to everett842m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys , so here we go im looking to start pieceing together the odds and ends im going to need to swap in a caddy 4.9 engine an trans into my 84 se 2.5 auto so does anyone know what will all be needed an if i can purchase these mounts an what not an where from ? i see v8 archies has conversion kits but 3 grand for a mount kit seems kind pricey , im looking to start this project around the end of september so any help will be much appriciated
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2014 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take a look at my thread for the build. It is a conversion for an 88 2.5, but most of the swap will be identical. There are good links to other peoples swaps in my thread. This should get you started for everything you'll need.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129733.html

You actually don't need a kit if you are able to fabricate components yourself. There really isn't anything complicated. I kept the Isuzu tranny, but if you do a search on PFF you'll find there are lots of threads that talk about the 4T60 swap.
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2014 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rodrigo:

http://tucson.en.craigslist.../pts/4586923075.html

"Not running" but I know someone who can do the work should raise the red flag. If "the work" needs to be done then the seller is basically offering nothing but an unknown. The whole value to engine swaps is the work that has been put into them.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero gt 4.9 v8 complete swap
image 1

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map) (yahoo map)

Hi I'm selling my 4.9 engine that is already mounted on a fiero comes with everything to get it running it includes the engine, harness,computer,flywheel,clutch,motor mounts, and complete exhaust system all you need is to install it or I might get you in contact with a guy who has done those swaps and can get it running for you interested text me at 5209779542 taking reasonable offers I'm not in a hurry to sell so don't try to low ball me the professional wiring harness is worth around 1000 alone so shoot me some offers wort thing I can say is no will also consider trades electronics phones or iPad/mini
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

Damn, I need to raise my rates

btw, Everett, I do 4.9 swap wiring harness if you are interested. I guess they are worth around 1000 alone but I do them for less - http://reddevilriver.com

From what I can make out of the "Professional Wiring" the standards must be fairly lax.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-26-2014).]

everett842m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for everett842m4Send a Private Message to everett842m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a 10004 for a wire harness seems like a awful lot seeing how you would use a stock caddy harness for it , but hey another question can i bolt a small block v8 up to my thm125 3 spd auto ? as i recall wich i may be wrong but my 82 trans am with a 305 cfi had the same trans minus the transverse setup that is , will it work ?
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by everett842m4:

a 10004 for a wire harness seems like a awful lot seeing how you would use a stock caddy harness for it , but hey another question can i bolt a small block v8 up to my thm125 3 spd auto ? as i recall wich i may be wrong but my 82 trans am with a 305 cfi had the same trans minus the transverse setup that is , will it work ?

You use a stock Caddy harness for parts when you build your new harness, but you don't use it as is... You also need to merge parts of the old Fiero harness with the Caddy harness.
everett842m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for everett842m4Send a Private Message to everett842m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm ok well how about ad for just putting in a small block v8 will it fit my th125 3 spd auto ?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hmm ok well how about ad for just putting in a small block v8 will it fit my th125 3 spd auto ?

You can use an adapter kit to mate an SBC to the TH125H auto but the box won't last without modifying it to take the power. The trans needs an additional disc on the clutch pack, a shift kit, higher line pressures and a new torque converter that matches the stall speed to the engines torque. Even with the mods you'll still have three speeds and gas mileage that is not great.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

everett842m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for everett842m4Send a Private Message to everett842m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok where can I get this adapter from ? An kool I have a few buddies in trans shops that I an talk to about it an see what they can all do I have a nice 350 Chevy I can get my hands on gas mileage ain't a really big deal . Also I just wanted to thank everyone for all there replies so far
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would recommend against using the TH125 with a 350. It won't last long. For the cost of the adapter kit, you'd be better off putting in a transmission that could already handle the power.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 07-27-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
everett842m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for everett842m4Send a Private Message to everett842m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok but what if it's built to handle the power also I I use it I wont have any weirdness to my shifter an where can you even buy the adapter ?
everett842m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for everett842m4Send a Private Message to everett842m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I would like to explore all options so anyone know where I can get the adapter ? Or how about an easy trans swap to accommodate the 350 ? An what would be all involved in the ttans swap im thinking about staying away from the whole computer business as I am not a genius with computers lol
everett842m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for everett842m4Send a Private Message to everett842m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok guys i got my engine lined up 350 sbc ill be picking it up fin about a week or two its from a 89 camaro should be roughly 180 hp but i am going to throw a roller cam roller lifter and roller rockers into it along with an edelbrock rpm air gap intake hei ignition matbe even an electric water pump i was also thinking about having the heads shaved then ported , NOW heres the big question i wanna keep an auto trans im just not a fan of manules , what trans can i throw in to handle this monster ? an will i need an adapter ? what else will i need to do ? remember no electronics will be used for the engine an trans ,
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A properly built 4T60 requires no electronics, has good gearing options for the torque of the SBC and is a four speed automatic. Your trans shop buddies should be able to fix you up and wire the TCC lockup.
It will still require an adapter plate, available from V8 Archie.
Too bad the electronics put you off, once set up and installed they make life so simple......

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 07-29-2014).]

everett842m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for everett842m4Send a Private Message to everett842m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah electronics are nice but a pain in the well you know what lol , so hey i see online there is th125 builds with over 325hp thru them my buddies at the trans shops say they dont know where or cant get performance parts for them ? anyone know where i can ?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yeah electronics are nice but a pain in the well you know what lol , so hey i see online there is th125 builds with over 325hp thru them my buddies at the trans shops say they dont know where or cant get performance parts for them ? anyone know where i can ?

My turbo 3.4L runs through a JPT race modified TH125H. It can really take the power. I will be doing a different engine swap in that car and if you have interest, will be putting both the 3.4L turbo engine and the trans up for sale shortly.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

everett842m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for everett842m4Send a Private Message to everett842m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

My turbo 3.4L runs through a JPT race modified TH125H. It can really take the power. I will be doing a different engine swap in that car and if you have interest, will be putting both the 3.4L turbo engine and the trans up for sale shortly.

Ok so I would be interested in the transmission what would you be looking to get for it ? Also who built it ?
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My turbo 3.4L runs through a JPT race modified TH125H. It can really take the power.

Further reading on those transmission on this forum finds their service lives to be highly variable. (Meaning some last and some blow up quickly).

I'm not sure if it's just generally an indication of people's inability to correctly set up a TV cable or what... Most of the apps that blow up are with engines for which an OE TV cable bracket for the TH125 is not available.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 07-30-2014).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious as to why you think electronics are a pain in the #$$?

Majority of engines swaps on here retain all the OEM electronics with no real issues.

...but hey it is your car to do with as you please...
everett842m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for everett842m4Send a Private Message to everett842m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Just curious as to why you think electronics are a pain in the #$$?

Majority of engines swaps on here retain all the OEM electronics with no real issues.

...but hey it is your car to do with as you please...

Well I know sensors help but wiring everything up is a big hassle then having sensors go bad effect the engine an running conditions I just don't wanna have to deal with them carbs are easier to work an require much less
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Will:

Further reading on those transmission on this forum finds their service lives to be highly variable. (Meaning some last and some blow up quickly).

I'm not sure if it's just generally an indication of people's inability to correctly set up a TV cable or what... Most of the apps that blow up are with engines for which an OE TV cable bracket for the TH125 is not available. [QUOTE/]

Pat Ciarcia with the JPT automatic Th125H ran 10 second quarter mile times with that exact trans an a 750HP SBC V8 with a massive nitrous shot. I would not advise doing this but this exact box in my turbo always performed fine and I am not light footed. I have the 3:33 FDR version that's recommended for the 1/4 mile. JPT says that the trans is very sensitive to low fluid levels and improper TV cable adjustment. They state that this will burn this trans in short order. I don't know about the overall record but the trans I have is just about bulletproof and there is no slip between shifts. I really like the way it performs but a 3500 high value engine is being planned for that car so the engine and trans will be moved.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-31-2014).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well I know sensors help but wiring everything up is a big hassle then having sensors go bad effect the engine an running conditions I just don't wanna have to deal with them carbs are easier to work an require much less

While respecting your opinion, from my life experiences have shown me that once the manufactures went to fuel injection, dependability went way up, driveability went way up, fuel economy went way up and, again in my opinion and after learning fuel injection, I find fuel injected engines to actually be much easier to work on compared to carbed engines. You would also gain in the options of what transmission you could bolt to your engine.

Also - not looking to get into any pissing match here. Just stating my opinion for anyone to take or leave.

------

4T60 will get you much better gearing than the TH125C.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

While respecting your opinion, from my life experiences have shown me that once the manufactures went to fuel injection, dependability went way up, driveability went way up, fuel economy went way up and, again in my opinion and after learning fuel injection, I find fuel injected engines to actually be much easier to work on compared to carbed engines. You would also gain in the options of what transmission you could bolt to your engine.

Also - not looking to get into any pissing match here. Just stating my opinion for anyone to take or leave.

------

4T60 will get you much better gearing than the TH125C.

I agree with phonedawgz. Driveability and engine lifespan are both significantly improved. Once you learn how to read the data from the sensors, it opens the doors significantly for accurate tuning.
everett842m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for everett842m4Send a Private Message to everett842m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I couldn't agree with you guys more sensors are great advantages an I respect all your guy's opinions but to each his own I know alot about sensors I sell an deal with them every day im just not wanting to deal with them for the time being for this build wich isnt going so well to begin with (I cant find the stuff I need) for this one I wanna keep it old school Iknow alot about an can modify a sbc pretty effortless plus I got the motor a running motor with low miles on it for almost nothing lol an for around 600 bucks I can make it have incredible hp woth still being a n/a motor
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
I'm not sure if it's just generally an indication of people's inability to correctly set up a TV cable or what... Most of the apps that blow up are with engines for which an OE TV cable bracket for the TH125 is not available.

Pat Ciarcia with the JPT automatic Th125H ran 10 second quarter mile times with that exact trans an a 750HP SBC V8 with a massive nitrous shot. I would not advise doing this but this exact box in my turbo always performed fine and I am not light footed. I have the 3:33 FDR version that's recommended for the 1/4 mile. JPT says that the trans is very sensitive to low fluid levels and improper TV cable adjustment. They state that this will burn this trans in short order. I don't know about the overall record but the trans I have is just about bulletproof and there is no slip between shifts. I really like the way it performs but a 3500 high value engine is being planned for that car so the engine and trans will be moved.

Yeah, yeah, I've heard of the 10 second Chevy powered umpty-scrunch... but I've *ALSO* read here on this forum quite a few more people having those transmissions go out in 1,000 miles.

Many aftermarket carbs are sold with the disclaimer "Not for use with overdrive transmissions". This is because the average installer is apparently so incompetent that he can't build a functional TV cable linkage for a TH700 trans and carb MFG's were tired of getting blamed when some idiot's transmission died after he installed the new carb.

I guess the same thing is going on with JPT's.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(snip) then having sensors go bad (snip)

I submit that 90% of new sensors sold are due to incompetence, and are replacing perfectly functioning units.....
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18040 posts
Member since May 2004

(snip) I know alot about sensors I sell an deal with them every day (snip)

'nuff said.....

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I submit that 90% of new sensors sold are due to incompetence, and are replacing perfectly functioning units.....

...this I believe.

In all the vehicles I have owned (1 being my original 88 Fiero that we bough back in the early 90's) I have only came across 2 actually bad sensors. One just happened to be on the 88 Fiero (granted it is 26 years old at that) - and then it was nothing major. It was the cold start switch (so not really a sensor either) - drove it for a couple years with it unplugged since I is now only a nice weather car - but replaced it when the 3.4l was installed - just because.

The other was on our '03 Dakota - bad oil pressure sender, but that was right after we bought it, under warranty and probably just not built correctly in the first place as we never had another actual bad sensor with the truck since. Of course now that I have said that.

But going carb does save on doing less wiring (not all). Good luck with your swap.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 08-02-2014).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had:

-Aftermarket replacement GM oil pressure gauge sender diaphragm rupture
-Lead on a GM intake air temp sensor corrode away
-Crank sensor go bad on a Pontiac 6000 AWD (NOT a fun replacement)
-Crank sensor go bad on a Cadillac Northstar (in my Fiero)
-2.8 V6 ignition module fail (x2)
-VW MAF sensor failure

More as I think of it...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock