88 2.5 overheating!!! by un fiero
Started on: 07-05-2014 10:32 AM
Replies: 34 (455 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 11-20-2014 09:38 AM
un fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for un fieroSend a Private Message to un fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is all stock. 128k miles. New water pump. Runs great (now), but after about 20 minutes it rockets to 240°. I can't find any leaks. I did fill the coolant using recommended procedure. New thermostat didn't help so I left it out and it's still doing the same thing. Any suggestions? Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the radiator is original it may be partially blocked, have it checked by a radiator shop. Also check to make sure the radiator hoses aren't collapsing and check to be sure the coolant tubes under the car on each side are not crushed or bent.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could still have air in the system. Also check if your fan running properly. Other less likely things to consider: plugged radiator, timing off, faulty rad caps, faulty water pump.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

You could still have air in the system. Also check if your fan running properly. Other less likely things to consider: plugged radiator, timing off, faulty rad caps, faulty water pump.

FYI, no timing adjustment on 87-88 Dukes. DIS spark system.

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you lay out the procedure you followed when replacing coolant? Also does your fan turn on?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my cave... read entire Cooling section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also Welcome to the forum and Fiero ownership, lots of great people on this forum
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

FYI, no timing adjustment on 87-88 Dukes. DIS spark system.

Good point....I guess that just jumped out of my head as a general comment from other cars. I should have thought about the context a little longer. Thanks for the correction.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not calling you out on it, just keeping the info specific to the topic for posterity's sake.....
un fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for un fieroSend a Private Message to un fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok guys, it seems I am not as good at following directions as I thought. I still have air in the system because I can hear a trickle in the radiator while running. I also found the thermostat housing cap is leaking a drop every two seconds or so, I just went and bought a new one. The fan kicks in both when the ac is on and when temp reaches about 225-230°, so I think I am okay there. I guess I need to get an engineering degree to be competent enough to fill the cooling system. What a damn roller coaster. In 2 weeks time I went from " you want to buy a what, a Fiero......hahahah" . Then after I drove it I was like " this is kinda cool". Then I was like " hey maybe I want one for myself" then I said hell no, one is enough! Tomorrow I am supposed to be going to look at another one! These damn cars are like crack!!!
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by un fiero:

Ok guys, it seems I am not as good at following directions as I thought. I still have air in the system because I can hear a trickle in the radiator while running. I also found the thermostat housing cap is leaking a drop every two seconds or so, I just went and bought a new one. The fan kicks in both when the ac is on and when temp reaches about 225-230°, so I think I am okay there. I guess I need to get an engineering degree to be competent enough to fill the cooling system. What a damn roller coaster. In 2 weeks time I went from " you want to buy a what, a Fiero......hahahah" . Then after I drove it I was like " this is kinda cool". Then I was like " hey maybe I want one for myself" then I said hell no, one is enough! Tomorrow I am supposed to be going to look at another one! These damn cars are like crack!!!

LOL. Yes they are!

Park the car on a slight decline, such as a driveway. If not, then jack the rear slightly. Remove the t-stat, and open the radiator cap. Pour coolant slowly into the t-stat housing until it coolant comes out of the radiator at an increases rate. Cap the radiator. Now, all this may be redundant. The one thing some people may leave out: Cap the t-stat housing without the t-stat. Turn the cap until it is only half way. You will feel the half way point as you twist it on. Start car and run for a few minutes. If there is air in the system it will burp out the coolant bottle. Un cap t-stat housing and top off. I usually repeat the air burping process one more time. remove t-stat housing cap, top off. replace the t-stat and tighten cap the completely. You should be good to go with out any air.

PFF
System Bot
un fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for un fieroSend a Private Message to un fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am at the end of my rope!!! I put the car on an incline. Ass end up. I removed the radiator cap. I topped off the reservoir. I removed the thermostat cap and thermostat. I put coolant in the thermostat housing until it came out of the radiator. I capped the radiator then continued to fill the block till full, making sure the hose back from the radiator was also full. I closed the housing without thermostat. I ran the car till it got to 220°. I let it cool. Topped off the housing. Replaced the thermostat and put a brand new cap on. Started and drove the car for 15 minutes and it shot up to 240°. I pulled in the driveway and shut it down and it puked coolant out of the reservoir. WTF? I am about to take a blow torch to this f@#*ing piece of plastic ass remote control half a car made from leftovers and killed off just as they were getting it almost right! Anyway, I really like this car and don't want to destroy it. So any help would be appreciated.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I topped off the reservoir. .

This I don't get. Did you fill the overflow reservoir next to the radiator? It should be mostly empty. Also, be sure you have the non-vented cap on the radiator.
un fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for un fieroSend a Private Message to un fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reservoir was probably half full when I started. I checked the pipes they're okay no kinks or crushed spots, new water pump, fan kicks in at about 230°, the housing cap is new. I am not sure about the radiator cap. I am at a loss. I have flushed the radiator as well.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you've checked everything else (coolant tubes, radiator, etc.), check the connector with a hose on it under the intake manifold. It has a "quick disconnect" connector on it that often corrodes badly and may be blocked. It is supposed to allow a restricted amount of flow. With either full flow (no restriction) or blocked flow, you can have problems.
un fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for un fieroSend a Private Message to un fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Topnotch, would that cause the overheating?
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Topnotch, would that cause the overheating?

It's possible. Try turning on your heater (engine warm) -- does it blow hot? If not, that passage may be blocked.
un fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for un fieroSend a Private Message to un fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At first it did before it spiked. When it spiked I tried to cool the coolant down by turning the heater on and it was not blowing hot.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

At first it did before it spiked. When it spiked I tried to cool the coolant down by turning the heater on and it was not blowing hot.

Things to check:
a) Connector under intake manifold may be clogged.
b) Heater core may be clogged
c) Water pump may not be pumping.

Oh, yeah, I think dukes came with water pumps that turned clockwise or counter-clockwise, depending on belt routing. Make sure you have the correct water pump for your car. If you have one meant for another model car, it may be turning the wrong way.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

LOL. Yes they are!

Park the car on a slight decline, such as a driveway. If not, then jack the rear slightly. Remove the t-stat, and open the radiator cap. Pour coolant slowly into the t-stat housing until it coolant comes out of the radiator at an increases rate. Cap the radiator. Now, all this may be redundant. The one thing some people may leave out: Cap the t-stat housing without the t-stat. Turn the cap until it is only half way. You will feel the half way point as you twist it on. Start car and run for a few minutes. If there is air in the system it will burp out the coolant bottle. Un cap t-stat housing and top off. I usually repeat the air burping process one more time. remove t-stat housing cap, top off. replace the t-stat and tighten cap the completely. You should be good to go with out any air.

Don't mean to be redundant. When you ran the car without the t-stat did you tighten the t-stat cap until it clicked to the halfway point? You don't want the cap to be all the way tighened down. The system will presurize and not allow the air to escape.

[This message has been edited by Jason88Notchie (edited 07-09-2014).]

TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any update on this? Curious minds want to know.
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Any update on this? Curious minds want to know.

un fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for un fieroSend a Private Message to un fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just came inside after changing the water pump, new coolant, new caps ( both radiator and tstat). Flushed radiator and block. The only thing I have not done is the intake manifold quick connect. I guess I will have to do it after it cools back down. It did the exact same thing. It stayed around 225° for about 10 minutes then shot up to 250°. Luckily I was already pulling in the driveway. Oh well if its not the quick connect, I give up.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can flush a radiator all day long but if its partially plugged you are only flushing the part that isn't plugged.
un fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for un fieroSend a Private Message to un fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after all that, turned out o be the head gasket after all. Thanks to all the guys who helped with it, especially Joe and Brian. Little base coupe is running great!
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to help you out.
Enjoy the car!
knarfluna

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for knarflunaSend a Private Message to knarflunaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well after all that, turned out o be the head gasket after all. Thanks to all the guys who helped with it, especially Joe and Brian. Little base coupe is running great!

somebody explain how the head gasket made his car overheat...there mustve been a sign if head gasket was the problem

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The head gasket may allow combustion gas to leak into the coolant.....putting more and more 'air' into the system until the area around the water pump is mostly air.....and that will cause the coolant not to flow and overheat. Depending on how quickly this happens, there may be slight coolant overflow at the tank that is hard to notice. The only obvious thing will be that the coolant level will be low when cold.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-31-2014).]

knarfluna

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for knarflunaSend a Private Message to knarflunaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

how much did that cost you?

knarfluna

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for knarflunaSend a Private Message to knarflunaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

knarfluna

24 posts
Member since Sep 2014

Originally posted by Gall757:

The head gasket may allow combustion gas to leak into the coolant.....putting more and more 'air' into the system until the area around the water pump is mostly air.....and that will cause the coolant not to flow and overheat. Depending on how quickly this happens, there may be slight coolant overflow at the tank that is hard to notice. The only obvious thing will be that the coolant level will be low when cold.

[This message has been edited by knarfluna (edited 11-08-2014).]

knarfluna

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for knarflunaSend a Private Message to knarflunaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

knarfluna

24 posts
Member since Sep 2014

Originally posted by Gall757:

I have done everything....new everything...I used a block tester at the overflow reservoir, and at the radiator. Tested negative...TRUE BLUE liquid after about 5 minutes of pumping...

then I took it for a long drive....seemed ok on the temp gage....until I backed up my driveway...then it slowly spiked hot ....I revved the engine it stopped spiking temporarily...then I let it idle...fan came on...temp still rising steady even with fan on...then I watched the coolant fill up the over flow canister and spit out....now the rad fan blowing cool air... which means i've lost the coolant and it stopped circulating...Do you agree?

I let it cool down....I open the thermostat cap....cant see any coolant.....I begin to refill again...burping...etc....now I see a thin film of something floating on top of the coolant...very little...so I grabbed my block tester and tested at the thermostat opening.....GREEN within 5 pumps....and I didn't suck any coolant into the tester. F%$#!!

makes sense....bad head gasket..leaking pressure into the cooling system....hoses were super pressurized...couldn't squeeze them...forced the coolant to overflow...losing all my coolant...cant recirculate whats left in the system...Do I have this right???

SUCKS!

PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try this test:
With the engine cold (full of coolant), run the car a few seconds, stop the engine, and then remove the thermostat housing cap. If any coolant bubbles out, you have a gasket leak.
Of course, this will not be conclusive, if you have a leak that only develops with the engine hot.
un fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for un fieroSend a Private Message to un fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the guidance of a wise forum member, I borrowed a digital scope from work, and checked all the pistons through the spark plug holes. One piston was shiny and clean. The head gasket had a tiny breach from an exhaust port to the cylinder so it would spray coolant onto the piston. I bought a gasket kit on Amazon for around $40, but I spent another $15 for the good blue ribbed rubber valve cover gasket. I also paid a friend at a machine shop to dip and check the head for warpage and cracks. I was fortunate that there was nothing wrong with the head. It took about five hours with regular hand tools split over two days. Not at all to difficult.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update! It's always good to have threads that explain the fix.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also read this //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094876.html
This is what caused my 87 duke to blow a head gasket. bad Rad cap, before I knew about the vented/non-vented caps.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock