Started on: 07-03-2014 01:55 PM
Replies: 8 (747 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-05-2014 10:03 AM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am getting ready to throw a N/A 3800 in my car and have a question about the belt tensioner.

I low mounted the alternator, but apparently I have to do something to the belt tensioner? For what reason and how?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

I am getting ready to throw a N/A 3800 in my car and have a question about the belt tensioner.

I low mounted the alternator, but apparently I have to do something to the belt tensioner? For what reason and how?

Thanks

You must disassemble the tensioner and reclock it so that it applies pressure in an upward motion. Lost of stuff in the archives on the process.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Threedog

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

You must disassemble the tensioner and reclock it so that it applies pressure in an upward motion. Lost of stuff in the archives on the process.

I am a little confused, mine already does...
jelly2m8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:
I am a little confused, mine already does...

Don't do what was suggested and over complicate things. Swap the smooth pulley for a grooved one and use the tensioner as is.

Fierorog

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierorogSend a Private Message to FierorogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And don't forget about the dog bone bracket.

3800 swap parts
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:
Don't do what was suggested and over complicate things. Swap the smooth pulley for a grooved one and use the tensioner as is.

Anthony, good to see you posting again. Yes the 3800 N/A will work this way but the SC needs the tensioner repositioned. My error.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-04-2014).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is my thread with the same issue (near the bottom of page one/top of page two)

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089035.html

Rob
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Anthony, good to see you posting again. Yes the 3800 N/A will work this way but the SC needs the tensioner repositioned. My error.

SC doesnt either... its the same anyway.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

SC doesnt either... its the same anyway.

When I have swapped 3800SC's the alternator gets moved low and the power steering pump is trashed.
I wish someone would show me how to run the belts on the 3800SC without repositioning the tensioner.
Look below:

/
Now if that tensioner wasn't re-clocked (or another one used) to push up at a higher angle the belt would be hitting/rubbing the water pump pulley that already has a belt wrapped on it. Notice the interference when the tensioner is not at the right angle on this photo.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock