GT88 loosing transaxle fluid. by pommejaune
Started on: 07-02-2014 11:56 AM
Replies: 21 (416 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-04-2014 12:41 PM
pommejaune

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pommejauneSend a Private Message to pommejauneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

The one liter SAE5W30 that I've added is leaking direclty on the ground on the right side just above the exhaust tube!
Any idea where to look?

Thanks
pJ

[This message has been edited by pommejaune (edited 07-27-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Check your output shaft bearings. Grab each axle near the transmission and push/pull. If they move more than about 1mm, the bearings are worn and letting the fluid out.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-02-2014).]

pommejaune

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pommejauneSend a Private Message to pommejauneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I'll check directly if I understand correcltly what you mean :-)

I've a second question, what is this !!? A Professional manual reparation or small birds having a new bed ?

pommejaune

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pommejauneSend a Private Message to pommejauneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pommejaune

30 posts
Member since Jun 2014
I've checked the wheel axle and the right is moving a little bit towards the wheel! More than 1mm according to what I've seen.

Is it this kind of kit that I would need?

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axle-Wheel-Bearing-And-Hub-Assembly-Repair-Kit-C-TEK-Front-Rear-Centric-/130945412905?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1988%7CMake%3APontiac%7CModel%3AFiero%7CSubmodel%3AGT%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.8L&hash= item1e7cf46f29&vxp=mtr]Fiero Bearing]Bearing?[/url]

[This message has been edited by pommejaune (edited 07-02-2014).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure it's transmission oil and not engine oil? That last photo looks like a glob of silicone sealant to repair a hole in the side of the oil pan.

If you're sure it's coming from the transmission, then I wouldn't automatically assume it's the output shaft bearings that have failed somehow... it's far more likely that it's just the axle seals that are leaking. By the way, you didn't mention if it's an automatic or manual transmission, but in either case the axle seals ride on the stub shaft of the inner tripot joint and over time either the seal wears out or the seal wears a groove in the machined surface of the shaft and causes a leak.

The best way to pin point the source of the leak is to clean up the area with rags and perhaps some solvent and take it for a test drive. Jack it up and have another look to see where the fresh oil is coming from. If it is coming from the seal area, and you have a manual transmission, then you can follow this thread for a step by step procedure on how to remove the axle and replace the seal: www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000004.html
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pommejaune:

Is it this kind of kit that I would need?

No....the seals and bearings we are talking about are in the transmission. That e-bay kit is for the hub.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you added 5 w 30 oil to the transmission, I hope it's a manual transmission else you're in for some future transmission problems unless you drain and refill with Dexron II transmission fluid.

Common places to look underneath for oil leaks are the oil pan to engine mating surfaces, the front pulley area which would include the timing chain cover and the crankshaft pulley seal.

Valve cover leaks can be seen from the top unless it's the cover nearest the rear window and that will have to be determined below. The cam bearing cover at the rear of the engine and the crankshaft rear seal will usually drop at the flat inspection plate on the bottom of the transmission bellhousing. The transmission input shaft seal leak will show up at the same place, but the color and texture of the oil will be clearer and cleaner. A bad distributor O-ring will show a puddle on the top of the transmission, just behind the distributor.

Transmission output shaft seals are easily seen and leaks verified since they're in clear view from the bottom.

pommejaune

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pommejauneSend a Private Message to pommejauneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

Thank you for your reply, this is of course a manual transmission and the transaxle fuild was completely emptly. I've added 1l engine running and it was raining but I'm not sure this is coming from the transmission!!!
I think this is too much on the right for that, what remain? Engine oil or cooling fluid? Where can I check the level of the cooling?

The second picture with the yellow stuff is something else that I saw taking pictures of the first issue, it seems to be a repair for something else.

Last information, the car was in a garage for ten years without diving!

Thx
laurent

[This message has been edited by pommejaune (edited 07-02-2014).]

pommejaune

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pommejauneSend a Private Message to pommejauneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pommejaune

30 posts
Member since Jun 2014
Euuuhh bad news, it looks like coolant, the tank was empty !! The car is now in the garage and this is leaking again, ... water.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's coming from the passenger end of the engine, the water pump would be suspect. There is a weep hole underneath the snout. If the bearing goes bad, it will leak from there. You'll need to turn the engine off to feel underneath for signs of coolant.

The Fiero is not like other vehicles where you can simply fill the radiator with coolant and be done with it. You must fill it from the engine at the thermostat housing cap. It's on the passenger end of the engine with what looks like a standard radiator cap.

First, carefully loosen the radiator cap to see if you get coolant coming out. If you do, tighten it and leave it alone. If not, go ahead and remove it. Fill the radiator to the top with coolant.

Next.

With engine cold, remove the cap and remove the thermostat from inside. Fill the thermostat housing until the engine and hoses are full.
Replace the cap but only tighten to the first click. Note the arrows on the cap. They should be pointing vertically and not horizontally.
Start the engine and let it run for about a minute to 2 minutes then turn off the engine.
Remove the thermostat housing cap and top off with coolant again.
Replace the cap and repeat the process by letting the car run for 1 minute.
Turn the engine off and check the coolant level again. Top off if necessary.
When full, replace the thermostat and tighten the cap until the arrows are positioned horizontally. One of them should be pointing at the big host that comes off the front of the thermostat housing.
Fill the coolant recovery tank at the front to half way between the low and full mark.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-02-2014).]

pommejaune

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pommejauneSend a Private Message to pommejauneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Morning Fierofool,

I suppose that I can put only water for the time being?

- Radiator cap removed, coolant coming out. I leave it alone.
- Engine cap and thermostat removed, more than 1L added. Engine and hoses are full.
- Cap replaced with arrows vertical.

Engine started for 2 minutes. Euuuh the result is raining again !!!

- --
FieroGT88 - Video of water going out

Here is a picture of the cap, the fluid is definitively going out !

Is it normal, this white foam?

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With all that corrosion, does your thermostat housing cap actually seal... or is that where the coolant is leaking from?
pommejaune

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pommejauneSend a Private Message to pommejauneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is again a small video with Fiero on rails.

Video of the coolant a few seconds after engine stopped.

Second video from the other side, looks like coming from/behind this pulley?

The origin of the Nile?

[This message has been edited by pommejaune (edited 07-03-2014).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That could just be the path the water took and ran behind the crankshaft pulley. There is no water area behind it. The water pump is above it as is the thermostat cap, so any water from those would run down behind the crankshaft pulley.

The white foam in the coolant is a little worrisome. It could simply be the result of low coolant and air in the system, or it could be something more serious, like a blown head gasket. If it's available in Belgium, see if your auto parts store has a loaner or rental tool program. Get a cooling system pressure tester. Essentially it's a modified cap with a pump and gauge. Install it on your thermostat housing, pump it up to about 14 PSI and let it sit. Watch for pressure leak down and water leak origin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96aQ5DD5y78
pommejaune

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pommejauneSend a Private Message to pommejauneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello again,

Removed the rear right wheel and the side protection, the water is coming from or above the lower pulley. Water pump?

Video of the water leaking!

[This message has been edited by pommejaune (edited 07-03-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think you have the same issue as I had.

Where the heck is this coolant leaking from?
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That thermostat housing looks like it's full of beer

-Mitch
pommejaune

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pommejauneSend a Private Message to pommejauneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Patrick,

Will have to change the water pump? Can I drive the car to a garage or this is completely stupid?

Thx
pJ
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will have to change the water pump?

If it's your water pump that's leaking, yes, it'll need to be replaced.

Can I drive the car to a garage or this is completely stupid?

Depends how fast it's leaking and how far you need to go. You don't want to be running the engine with no coolant!
pommejaune

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pommejauneSend a Private Message to pommejauneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove it to the technical control last week like this Buuuhh

pommejaune

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pommejauneSend a Private Message to pommejauneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VoilĂ , the water pump has been ordered - ACDelco Part # 252613
I'm now looking for the clamp, I'll probably order the Cardone Select Part # 5513114 pump but this is not so easy to find.

Thx
pJ
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VoilĂ , the water pump has been ordered - ACDelco Part # 252613
I'm now looking for the clamp, I'll probably order the Cardone Select Part # 5513114 pump but this is not so easy to find.

I need to update the thread of mine that I previously linked to HERE, but I wanted to warn you that the ACDelco # 252613 water pump is not a good choice for an '88 Fiero. I had to take it back as the heater core pipe it has installed (which isn't required on the '88) uses a non-standard thread and I couldn't find a plug with a matching thread to put in its place. I returned the ACDelco pump and bought the Cardone # 5513114 pump instead. It came with the clamp and the plug and it works just fine.

EDIT: I've now updated my thread.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-04-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock