Wheel Size by 4thfiero
Started on: 06-24-2014 08:48 PM
Replies: 24 (3026 views)
Last post by: Lou and Blue on 07-05-2014 10:27 PM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if a 16x9 wheel will fit the fiero? front and back?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
16x9 no, it will hit the upright on the rear. 18x9 yes..

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It all depends on the wheel's offset (and whether you mind the wheel sticking out of the fender or not).
gwg1995

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gwg1995Send a Private Message to gwg1995Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 18x8.5 and it rubs up front at full lock. I think 8.25 up front would be perfect. The sizes in the rear are a lot easier to play with if you have coilovers.

Edit: my wheels are 35mm offset

[This message has been edited by gwg1995 (edited 06-25-2014).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

It all depends on the wheel's offset (and whether you mind the wheel sticking out of the fender or not).

Yep offset and tire size too should be specified.

Here is a cut-away of what wheel offset is.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-26-2014).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awww man...i just cant win....lol...

The rims i want are magnesium and are only avail in 16x9 with +30 offset....now i have to get 16X7 and 16x8 in alloy with the +30 offset. just...cant win
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay....i would like some input and feedback pls, To get the look i want...im limited to options due to offset with the watanabe rims. So i have a few questions i would like cleared up if possible!

1) Do Fiero's perform better with larger tires in the rear? like 16x7 in the front and 16x8 in the back? If yes...can i get away with 16x8 on all 4 tires but have the front tired 225 50 r16 and the rear 245 50 r16???

2) if i get a 16 inch wheel with a +15 offset, is that enough difference to poke out of the fenders and i would need fender flares?

3) I dont want to have tires/wheels that stick out in the summer, requiring fender flares to look good, (which IS what im going for) but then have to put my normal wheels on with my winter tires and those wheels look sunk in....

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4thfiero:

Okay....i would like some input and feedback pls, To get the look i want...im limited to options due to offset with the watanabe rims. So i have a few questions i would like cleared up if possible!

1) Do Fiero's perform better with larger tires in the rear? like 16x7 in the front and 16x8 in the back? If yes...can i get away with 16x8 on all 4 tires but have the front tired 225 50 r16 and the rear 245 50 r16???

2) if i get a 16 inch wheel with a +15 offset, is that enough difference to poke out of the fenders and i would need fender flares?

3) I dont want to have tires/wheels that stick out in the summer, requiring fender flares to look good, (which IS what im going for) but then have to put my normal wheels on with my winter tires and those wheels look sunk in....

Its common to run wider tires in the rear for more traction and less chance of breaking loose/ spinning if you have a lot of power. Plus it looks cool. Keep the outer tire diameter close to stock size or your speedo could be read wrong.

Basically you are saying you dont want the tire to stick out past the wheel well, but you want it flush with the wheel well right?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-27-2014).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct! Yes...

In a perfect world, i would like to have wheels (those watanabe's, and some simple winter wheels) to be flush with the stock fenders and look good that way, then i will purchase the wide track kit, increase my stance 2 incch on either side...add fender flares, and then both sets of wheels should still be flush with the new fender flares.

[This message has been edited by 4thfiero (edited 06-27-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Info here to help you too, I diagram that has been around the forum quite a while:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/058236.html
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay thanks for the diagram...im a little confused by it...i would like to know how far it would stick past the fender on a 16x7 and 16x8 wheel with a +15 offset
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year is your car?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
Take a look at what Tire rack recommends for example for an 86.

16x7.5
Offset: 35mm
Backspacing: 5.67"

16x7.5
Offset: 40mm
Backspacing: 5.79"

16x7
Offset: +45mm
Backspacing: 5.75"

http://www.tirerack.com/whe...&filterSpecial=false
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car is an 88 gt.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok 88s have a wider stance in front so you will need a narrower rim or one with different offset in front, than you will in the back. Otherwise either the rears will be tucked in or the fronts will stick out.

2 threads talking about this stuff:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...000815-2-002244.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040223-2-038850.html

I have a Formula and the fronts stick out, the rears are a little farther in than flush, I never measured the offset I got lucky when I bought them years ago. They are 17s all 4 the same width and offset, they came from a VW Golf, but are an aftermarket brand. I'd love to have them all 4 flush.

rear

front

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-30-2014).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
right, like i want 16x7 in the front and 16x8 in the rear. im also planning on getting arraut motorsports wide track kit to widen my stance...i just wanted to know if +15 offset on 16x7 and 16x8 rims will poke out too much past the fender...or if i can still get away with +15 without moving past the fender.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...I would like to know how far it would stick past the fender on a 16x7 and 16x8 wheel with a +15 offset

On an '88, the street side of each of the front wheels (not the tires) would be 1.3" (33 mm's) further outboard than the stock 15" x 6" ET 37 wheels. Taking in to account that there'll be less tire side wall bulge due to the lower profile tires you'll need, the effect will probably be in the neighbourhood of having the tire sidewall sticking out about an inch further than stock, depending on how wide your new tires are. I think you'll find that if you bought these wheels for your car, no matter what tires you get, they will stick out quite noticeably in the front.

On the rear, the street side of the 16" x 8" et 15 wheels will stick out a further 27 mm's (1.1") than the stock 15 x 7 et 30 wheels. Again, taking in to account that there'll be less tire side wall bulge due to the lower profile tires, the effect won't be quite as noticeable as in the front, but the tires will probably stick out in the neighbourhood of a half inch further than stock, but of course that will depend on what width tires you're planning.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bloozberry

7760 posts
Member since Jan 2009

I'm also planning on getting arraut motorsports wide track kit to widen my stance...

Your plan to use this kit doesn't make sense... the AMS wide track kit doesn't move the control arm pivot points inboard to compensate for the longer arms, it pushes the wheels further outboard. By doing so, even your stock wheels would stick out past the fenders, and the wheels you've asked about would be further still.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Blooz,

yeah i know....i wanna use the kit bcc i DO want to push my wheels out further and get a wider more aggressive stance? The issue im having is when i create my fender flares...if i create them for my +15 wheels for the summer, then throw on my +30 wheels for winter....i dont want my winter wheels to look sunk in....so im wondering how much of a difference its going to be....or if i need to get new winter rims with a +15 offset too.... (which i dont wanna do)
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posed this question in my rim size thread but now it has to do with both the rims and the tire sizes so here goes:
Ok, if I go with the 16 x 7 and I'm installing the eibcah lowering springs, what's the widest tire I can go with that won't rub in the wheel well? The 16x7 rims I'm looking at say they have a +38 offset. I don't really understand that so I'm inquiring about tire size here.
Thank you!
------------------

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keeip it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
"Don't hate ... Carburate!"
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recommended tire width is recommended 205-215 with max at 225. A 225/50/R16 tire is as close as you are going to get for max width and same height. The perfect replacement is 215/55/R16. The 225 gives a -1.6% speedometer change. So the speedometer reads faster than you are going.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lowering springs and wide kits are somewhat outside of my knowledge. Hope someone has some input for you. Also keep searching and include archived threads.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would 225/45/17 work ok? I am looking at a set of rims that have these tires on them. Maybe THIS seller will actually email
Me back.

They are borbet wheels and I am hoping they are 5x100 so they will fit
But is this tire size ok?

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keeip it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou and Blue

1349 posts
Member since Dec 2013
The borbet rims were on a 2001 Subaru outback. Can anyone please tell me if they will fit on the fiero? I am set to buy them this Sunday. I noticed on this wheel guide the 2001 outback is not listed, could it be possible that that one year has a different Lug pattern?

http://www.roadkillcustoms....=FIERO#axzz3679FKui0

It shows lower than 1998 and the also 2002-2008
Am I reading I wrong and maybe it's saying 1998 and up?
It's written. Like this
1998>
Please help , please tell me if these will not fit before I go spend money on them!
Thank you all so much!

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 07-04-2014).]

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Knight:

Recommended tire width is recommended 205-215 with max at 225. A 225/50/R16 tire is as close as you are going to get for max width and same height. The perfect replacement is 215/55/R16. The 225 gives a -1.6% speedometer change. So the speedometer reads faster than you are going.

So I guess these wouldnt work with my eibach lowering springs and my 17 inch rims ?

http://newyork.craigslist.o.../pts/4506555187.html

They are nice though!

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

next newest topic | next oldest topic