where can i get an 88 rack & pinion by Red97
Started on: 06-18-2014 09:01 PM
Replies: 11 (334 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 06-24-2014 03:07 PM
Red97

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red97Send a Private Message to Red97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking for a new or rebuilt one. but fiero store and dickmans don't seem to carry them
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red97:

looking for a new or rebuilt one. but fiero store and dickmans don't seem to carry them

i needed one about a month ago - searched and searched but found nothing. i think fiero steering rack is a discontinued part. From reading PFF threads, guys who recently needed a new steering rack just had their old one rebuilt. i ended up having my old one rebuilt (locally).
Diamond Dave

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-19-2014 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a nice 88 Formulfor sale. Auto most pannels and workng. Moon roof and fairly go old condition one weekened and running car.has lots of extra parts inccluding new bushings inthe box. Please be.pepaerd to paY FAIr VALUR. OR DONT WAST MY TIME. I Know
WHEREyou LIve. BEST OFFER. Not cheap ot exspensive.
Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-19-2014 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Diamond Dave

81 posts
Member since Feb 2014
I have a nice 88 Formulfor sale. Auto most pannels and workng. Moon roof and fairly go old condition one weekened and running car.has lots of extra parts inccluding new bushings inthe box. Please be.pepaerd to paY FAIr VALUR. OR DONT WAST MY TIME. I Know
WHEREyou LIve. BEST OFFER. Not cheap ot exspensive.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's a fair price for a rebuild? Is there a kit you can buy to rebuild one yourself?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red97:

Todays your lucky day. Be sure your sitting down.

http://shop.rackdoctor.net/...nion-117995-4250.htm
Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 06-19-2014).]

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

http://shop.rackdoctor.net/...nion-117995-4250.htm
Spoon

How is the 84-87 rack have a core charge that's twice the price of an 88 rack?? But overall the 84-87 is a cheaper rebuild, but it's still ridiculous!!

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fiero racks aren't that complicated. If your housing is broken or cracked,
then I understand.

Your best bet is to buy a complete inner and outer tie-rods, and 88 rack bushing from
Rodney Dickman and go from there. If the boots are good and not ripped or cracked,
leave them on. Don't forget to grease the rack with quality grease.

Red97, I'll drop by in sometime next week. I let you know beforehand.
We could have a chat about this...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a complete 1988 rolling chassis last year out of California for $100. Stripped off everything I could except the Rack & pinion Steering and the cradle and brought it back to Texas along with a trailered 1988 T-Top. I tried for a month to find someone that would buy the rest of the car. I would go from location-to-location stripping it down in the parking lots of auto supply stores(I had it on a trailer)

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128915.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129054.html

You might be better off in the long run buying a complete inoperable 1988 and taking it back home with you. Seeing how you live in Canada, it may be a bit more complicated because you have to go through border checks but finding 25 year old car parts from a model that was only in production for 5 years will only become more difficult.
PFF
System Bot
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hcforde

543 posts
Member since Mar 2013
This might be a possibility

http://pittsburgh.craigslis.../cto/4460784436.html

Here is how I found it

http://www.statewidelist.com/

I just used '1988' & 'Fiero' for the keywords and chose a state

The more I look at Fiero prices in the Northeast, the more I am convinced buying one cheaply for parts is the way to go.

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 06-24-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock