Removing deck lid torsion bar system by Fierotregg
Started on: 06-08-2014 06:59 PM
Replies: 3 (1063 views)
Last post by: 2002z28ssconv on 06-09-2014 09:47 PM
Fierotregg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotreggSend a Private Message to FierotreggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the best and safest way to remove the rear deck lid torsion bar system?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a link to the procedure. I just did it myself last week and it wasn't too hard.

http://www.fiero-store.com/.../Default.aspx?ID=552
Fierotregg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotreggSend a Private Message to FierotreggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks bud
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[copied from another post - hope it's helpful]

Some of the tension will be relieved if you prop the deck lid as far up as you can with a broom handle too. For some reason it's easy to forget that the rods are holding up the decklid... The only time my tie-down down slipped, it slid off of the bottom of the torsion bar and popped over to the side. The strap stayed attached and nothing flew anywhere. I was VERY glad my fingers weren't anywhere around the torsion bar when it snapped back against the retaining pin. But I had the strap's metal hook on the spring. So this is how I do it now.

Pull the trunk carpet and rubber seal up to reveal the metal of the trunk wall.
Hook the tie down strap to the lip on the wall, through the bottom of the torsion rod and back to the trunk wall.

Some people just hook to the spring and the wall. If you do it that way watch for an unstable hook on the torsion bar.
Putting both hooks on the firewall makes it a little easier to crank the tie-down strap too. Compound pulley... physics...
No matter which method you use, MAKE SURE THAT THE HOOKS ARE SECURE on the trunk wall. If they come loose the torsion spring WILL send them zinging toward the torsion bar.

There are threads with more pictures that show you how most people do the job. These pictures were from a thread that didn't talk about this topic so I didn't link it.

[This message has been edited by 2002z28ssconv (edited 06-09-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock